Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no receipt

Options
  • 14-05-2008 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,
    I receive a microwave as a gift that I don't need, but unfortunately no receipt was kept. After a phone to the shop, they told me that they can't refund or give me a credit without a receipt , also a bank statement (with the shop listed) will not be accepted.
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can’t find the thread, so apologies for reposting.
    There is anything that I can do for allow the refund or credit note ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

pluto1l wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I receive a microwave as a gift that I don't need, but unfortunately no receipt was kept. After a phone to the shop, they told me that they can't refund or give me a credit without a receipt , also a bank statement (with the shop listed) will not be accepted.
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can’t find the thread, so apologies for reposting.
    There is anything that I can do for allow the refund or credit note ?
    Thanks

Debit card or Credit card then a statement is fine as its proof of purchase. If it was paid for in cash then its no go im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

Was use a Laser card, but a different ithems were bought , so on the bank statment the total debit would be different from the price of the microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

The shop doesn't have to give a refund or even a credit note even if you have a receipt.

Best option would be to check if the shop has anything else you want, explain it was an unwanted gift and see if they will offset the cost of the microwave against the item you do want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

And if it's faulty they don't technically have to do anything as the contract is with the person that bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

mcaul wrote: »
    The shop doesn't have to give a refund or even a credit note even if you have a receipt.

Best option would be to check if the shop has anything else you want, explain it was an unwanted gift and see if they will offset the cost of the microwave against the item you do want.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

mcaul wrote: »

Failing that, www.adverts.ie

Not the biggest nationwide seller of microwaves by any means, but you never know. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

also a bank statement (with the shop listed) will not be accepted.[/SIZE]

link them to this site:
    http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)

although the fact that the amounts don't match might make it a bit dodgy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    link them to this site:
    http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland

although the fact that the amounts don't match might make it a bit dodgy

I have heard of companies successfully arguing against this by stating the customer may have bought something else in the shop that day (and i know one case where someone actually used this to return some stolen goods to a shop, believe it or not!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Receipt or no receipt your not entitled to a refund if there's nothing wrong with the goods, some shops will refund but that's entirely their own policy and not law.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Receipt or no receipt your not entitled to a refund if there's nothing wrong with the goods, some shops will refund but that's entirely their own policy and not law.

Also true, but the OP said the reason he couldn't get a refund was because he couldnt produce a reciept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That pages doesn't mention anything about a bank statement, could it be elsewhere on the site? The problem with a bank or credit card statement is they only show you spent a certain amount of amount of money on or around a date, it doesn't show what you bought or the serial number of what you bought. Having said that it may help narrow down when you made you purchase if the store is looking through all it's transactions.

TBH I'd be surprised if most electrical retailers would accept statements.

SDooM wrote: »
    Also true, but the OP said the reason he couldn't get a refund was because he couldnt produce a reciept.
    If they want a receipt in this instance then there is nothing that can be done as they are fully within their rights. Maybe they do not want to take any risks when it comes to exchanging/refunding unwanted items that they do not have to exchange/refund. If the item was faulty then they would have to accept the proof of purchase (bank statement etc) that the original purchaser produces.

axer wrote: »
    If they want a receipt in this instance then there is nothing that can be done as they are fully within their rights. Maybe they do not want to take any risks when it comes to exchanging/refunding unwanted items that they do not have to exchange/refund. If the item was faulty then they would have to accept the proof of purchase (bank statement etc) that the original purchaser produces.

Yeeeeaaah, but that is assuming that's the policy of the shop- the assistants hand might simply be tied by policy.

You are 100% legally correct, but the OP seems to have a chance of a refund IF he can produce a receipt. Thats all I am saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Gillo wrote: »
    That pages doesn't mention anything about a bank statement, could it be elsewhere on the site?
    it doesn't specifically say bank statement but it says credit card statement and there's really no difference between the two. if you use a credit card, it shows up on your credit card statement and if you use a laser, it shows up on your bank statement. i see no reason why one would be legal proof and not the other
    Gillo wrote: »
    The problem with a bank or credit card statement is they only show you spent a certain amount of amount of money on or around a date, it doesn't show what you bought or the serial number of what you bought. Having said that it may help narrow down when you made you purchase if the store is looking through all it's transactions.

TBH I'd be surprised if most electrical retailers would accept statements.
    i've used my credit card statement a number of times in a number of different retailers. the first one that pops into my mind is peats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pluto1l

After a call to the shop, there is confirmation that I need a receipt for them accepting back the item.
    They also said that the bank statement show that same money was exchange between the shop and a person, but there is not any specific item listed, so is impossible from the statement knowing what was bought.
    This means to me that if the microwave is broken or is going to need repair in few weeks, I don't have any proof .
    Always keep a receipt, will make life easier !

They also said that the bank statement show that same money was exchange between the shop and a person, but there is not any specific item listed, so is impossible from the statement knowing what was bought.
    This means to me that if the microwave is broken or is going to need repair in few weeks, I don't have any proof .
    Always keep a receipt, will make life easier !
    You have no rights to redress anyway technically as you did not purchase the item but if it did develop a fault then the person who bought the item could get redress by producing the bank statement as proof of purchase. Just because they say it ain't so doesn't mean their right.

Its just in your case since the item is not faulty they do not have to accept it back by law thus if they say they want the receipt for a refund then you have to comply to get it but I stress that this is *not* the case if the item develops a manufacturing fault and the original purchaser seeks redress from the seller i.e. the bank statement is enough proof then.

axer wrote: »
    You have no rights to redress anyway technically as you did not purchase the item but if it did develop a fault then the person who bought the item could get redress by producing the bank statement as proof of purchase. Just because they say it ain't so doesn't mean their right.

Its just in your case since the item is not faulty they do not have to accept it back by law thus if they say they want the receipt for a refund then you have to comply to get it but I stress that this is *not* the case if the item develops a manufacturing fault and the original purchaser seeks redress from the seller i.e. the bank statement is enough proof then.

As I pointed out before, there is a technicality that shops seem to be able to get away with as the bank statement does not mention the name of the item, and could be for something else. I have seen something go to the courts and the shop get away with it, while I was employed with them. (I did not agree, as if the shop wanted to assist they could have easily gone to the audit roll.)

Advertisement