Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5000 to spend on a 1st car... not a clue what to get!!

Options
  • 14-05-2008 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey,

I've got 5 grand to spend on my 1st car not including insurance and all that jazz. I want a 1.2 or so because i'll eventually be driving up and down to Dub and need something with enough power to get me there.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ibop wrote: »
    Hey,

I've got 5 grand to spend on my 1st car not including insurance and all that jazz. I want a 1.2 or so because i'll eventually be driving up and down to Dub and need something with enough power to get me there.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations???

Firstly you dont necessarily need something powerful to drive up and down to dublin. A Ka or a Fox or an arosa will do the job. These cars are light (ka sometimes have more powerful engine) and are powerful enough to do the job. I think people go on abit saying they need a big car when they dont. A big car is alittle bit more comfortable for the long journey, but people only seem to say they need one in this context as they get older fatter and wealthier.
    You choices really are corsa, polo, clio, yaris etc. I can say I have owned the 2 former and they are perfect since they have a bit of boot space also. Yaris is almost bootless but is a good car for the city. What are you thinking yourself?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Seat Ibiza 1.2
    Opel Corsa 1.2
    Volkswagen Polo 1.2
    Ford Fiesta 1.2

Dodgy a Ka or a Fox is very Feminine and they are small City Cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Yaris IMO. Have one for 8 years and barely had a lightbulb go on her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ibop

Oh dont want a big car just want more than a 1 ltr if you get me....

was thinking about a polo... they seems to have a pretty good rep...

Not a fan of the ka's... always feel like im sitting on the actual road when im in one...

what are the clio's like??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I'm driving my first car now, got an 02 Polo 1.2 and it's brilliant. The size is perfect... also it's the new design which they kept until just recently so it doesnt look old fashioned or anything.

Check out: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Polo/1.2/998064/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Dodgy a Ka or a Fox is very Feminine and they are small City Cars.

Just because they are city cars, doesnt mean they cant do country either, however I would recommend a trad 1.2 from your list probably because you get a boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭2-ShortDa5foot5

Got a great Opel Astra last year. Slightly bigger than what you need but great, solid car. Picked up a gorgeous '99 one with all the extras I needed for €4,700. Had a mechanic look over it first and haven't had any major problems since with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I used to drive to Waterford from Sligo and back every Monday and had a choice between a 99 punto 1.2 and a 92 sunny 1.4. the sunny worked out more comfortable and nearly as economical. The biggest problems with the punto were overtaking, comfort on long journeys and being bullied by bigger cars (also felt more nervous about it breaking down).
    Im not being preachy but maybe consider something about VW golf sized if you are spending more time on the open road than in the city it will be more comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

My first car was a ka and the bottom fell out of it after a year so stay clear!

What about a peugeot 206?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ibop

Arn't peugeots supposed to have a bad name tho?? any 1 I ask says stay away from french cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

french cars and electrics!!!
    As somebody once said when the C5 first came out:
    "They put the most electics on the car made by the people famous for bad electics"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Fiat Panda.
    You'll get a fairly fresh one for that sort money and I haven't been able to find a bad review or bad owner's review on any of the car sites I've visited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clarebearstare

I have a 206 and I havent had one bit of bother with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Arn't peugeots supposed to have a bad name tho?? any 1 I ask says stay away from french cars...
    Yes they are terrible, and I would stay away from Petrol VWs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jake burns

Hi i'm selling my fiat seicento 2001, 2200e and its yours there's only 10600 miles on it and its spotless, an ideal first car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

how bout my car?

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

or even better ;)

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Fiesta 1.25 is a nippy creature, and you'll get a high spec 2001/2 for under 4k :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Because they heard it from Jeremy Clarkson probably, or some other barrel of clichés. The most common electrical fault is that the brake light stays on, which is a very quick fix. 1.1 is a little gutless though for long trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Next time won't be just a warning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Cionád wrote: »
    Fiesta 1.25 is a nippy creature, and you'll get a high spec 2001/2 for under 4k :cool:

Im still on my first car (2ish years now) and i drive a 01 1.25 fiesta.
    Its a great little car,has got a good engine and imo isnt as ugly as alot of other small cars out there.
    I use it to drive it around the City and i do regular 90 mile trips and i find it comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

The fiesta is a far better prospect than a polo if you have any interest at all in driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Feshti is a great car provided you don't carry back seat passengers. There's absolutely no room back there.Admittedly I'm biased since Henry Ford's origins are in the rebel county and that's where I'm from!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

what did i do wrong?

unkel wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

French cars are not bad, at all.

Anyone who's owned one could tell you that. Unless it was a laguna they owned, in which case they're terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My first two cars were Micra's 1l GX, did a good bit of driving in them and never had a spot of bother with either and before anyone jumps in to say they're too small i'm 6ft tall and didn't have any problem that way either and they have a decent boot for a small car, now driving Fiesta Zetec Steel 1.25l have to say i love the sunroof in this weather, good car reliable and fuel efficient (very important these days with petrol 129.9 per litre locally) insurance and tax will be big savings on a small car so keep that in mind too! Good luck & safe driving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

unkel wrote: »

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

E92 wrote: »
    The Feshti is a great car provided you don't carry back seat passengers. There's absolutely no room back there.Admittedly I'm biased since Henry Ford's origins are in the rebel county and that's where I'm from!

+1 for the Feshti!!

Agree with above quote. It wasn't made for carrying a crowd in the backseat. But if your on your own, or have one or two passengers it is quite nippy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

What about a peugeot 206?[/QUOTE]

+1 i would have no problem in recommending a peugeot. i would rate them as good as toyotas if not better. they have the best goodies in them aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Skoda Fabia,

We sold Ma's 01 one for €5300 last year. If you can get an elegance model go for it, comes with loads of extras, like heated seats :D

Advertisement