Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12volt battery for solar power to laptop

Options
  • 14-05-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I,m looking for a 12volt battery for connection to a solar panel for connnection to an invertor.IS there any shop in ireland that sells them ,or an irish website, if not can anyone recommend a british website.I presume theres a special type of 12v battery designed for connection to solar panels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I think that some house alarm backup batteries are 12V.
    Not sure what you are really planning - I have solar panels on my caravan, going to a regulator, then 12V leisure batteries, and on to an inverter.
    A 12V adapter for the laptop would be more efficient than an inverter. You really don't get that much power from the smaller solar panels.
    Jim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Maplin there on Jervis St. sell batteries of various sizes. Considering you're using an inverter you'll require a significant amount of current from the battery in which case a car battery would probably be the way to go. As JamesM says though, you'll more than likely require some method of charging other than just a solar panel on its own...

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I'd steer clear of car batteries, what you need is a deep cycle battery like a leisure battery used on campervans and boats or a forklift battery( from electric forklifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, a deep-cycle battery is what you need. This allows you to run it nearly flat without affecting the storage cells. SLAB's suffer from constant charge-recharge cycles and fail prematurely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?48314b28024876562740c0a87f9c0690+EN/catalogs/CTG0001685

I was lookin at one of these and wonderin how to generate enough power for the Laptop. DUH, a 12V adapter and a deep cycle battery, thanks muchly:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement