Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here We Go Again - More Price Increases

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Its crazy this is part of inflation the Gov can control,on one hand they will be passing massive increases but asking the unions to have 'realistic' expectations with wage demands.

Better start work on that perpetual motion machine one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

add to that their own outragous wage increases that they so selflessly put off until september while the rest of us simply have to make do the best we can.

sometimes i really do wonder if i would like to live in Ireland until i pop my clogs - the cost of living is simply beyound belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nothing we can do about it as a country. UK has raised gas prices by 16% this year already.
    We (Western Europe) are at the mercy of Russia and its vast gas supplies. The era of cheap energy is over for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Saw diesel for €1.38 today and its only going to get worse. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Saw diesel for €1.38 today and its only going to get worse. :(

Doesn't Dempsey reckon we're getting it for half nothing and could really be paying another 13c a litre for it without complaint. I wonder when is the last time he put his hand in his pocket in a filling station. Prick.

people talked about the housing boom being unsustainable but surely these prices increases are too given that inflation is so high and will only get higher now thereby reducing everybody's purchasing power and slowing down the economy/consumption of among other things energy. jobs will be lost as a result of this no question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

when Bord Gais increase prices is it not the case that the ESB are usually next (afaik a lot of electricity in Ireland is generated by consuming large amounts of gas). Surely this is where the governmnet has a chance to lead by example. Take the hit on the price of gas, thereby reducing the profits of this semi state (which rose by 29% in 2007 :eek:). It would smack of 'We're actually serious about tackling infaltion'

Surely this is where the governmnet has a chance to lead by example. Take the hit on the price of gas, thereby reducing the profits of this semi state (which rose by 29% in 2007 :eek:). It would smack of 'We're actually serious about tackling infaltion'

given that tax revenues are way down on estimates - over 700m euro i don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell they will do that but we live in hope...maybe with Cowen at the helm, ethics (re: wage increases etc) will actually come into play and they might feel a slight sense of duty and refuse them....if aherne were still leader i would not even hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Don't worry we have plenty of gas ourselves off the coast of Mayo, oh I forgot we are going to buy our own gas back from a foreign oil company at the full market rate due to a cosy deal our government signed :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the ESB is planning huge infrastructural improvements which will be vital for the future of the economy. Cutting their profits will prevent them from doing this, or force them to go looking for exchequer money, which as we know, is going to be in short supply. No easy answers on this one.

Advertisement