Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A very stupid how do i fix my brakes question(pics included)

Options
  • 14-05-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My mother picked up this bike for me whilst I was at work today and said the dude de-attached the breaks whilst taking off the wheels. How the feck do I get them back on? I'm trying to squeeze it in the circle but it won't fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Slide that rubber bit over to the right across the cable, it should reveal a slightly indented area that would have been covered by the rubber. If you squeeze the pads tight to the rim, you should be able to fit this indentation through a cutout on the top of the metal bit on the left (looking at pic 1)

If you don't have enough slack to achieve this, you may have to unscrew the cable from it's housing on the right-hand side of pic 1, attach the indented bit as above, and then re-tighten the cable in the housing. Can be a pain in the bottom, needlenose pliers helps.

You'll probably have to adjust the brake pads distance to the rim once this is done, there should be a small screw to achieve this :cool: Leave around a mm clearance if you can.

Tightening / loosening the screw on each side should give you an idea which direction tightening / loosening will move the pads in relation to the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Since beans has already answered the question:

That's the crap level of service we've all been moaning about in previous threads. That bike was NOT serviced properly, there's no way it should have left the shop without having the brakes reattached - that's simply a death trap. I would nearly be inclined to bring it straight back and show the manager - you could very easily have cycled it home and not been able to stop in time. Given that he removed the wheel (puncture? buckle? brake pads?) he first of all needed to ensure that it was re-installed centered and 'straight' and not offset - you'd need to see it running through the brake pads to be sure of that.
    Name and shame tha bike shop to be honest.

edit: of course the above is all null and void if he only removed the wheels to get the bike into the car!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I assumed the wheels were taken off to fit the bike in the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Aye he did take them off to fit into the car. Wish he had of just poped them off tbh, I''ll try again later. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

RasTa wrote: »
    Aye he did take them off to fit into the car. Wish he had of just poped them off tbh, I''ll try again later. Cheers lads.

You'll find that you have to release the breaks when taking off the wheels, so I don't think you can just "pop them off".

I took a look at servicing my own breaks a couple of weeks ago, pad replacement & realignment.
    Takes a little trial and error, but if you us the following links they tell you all you need to know...

Park Tool

Utah MTB Fixit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

You'll find that you have to release the breaks when taking off the wheels, so I don't think you can just "pop them off".

I took a look at servicing my own breaks a couple of weeks ago, pad replacement & realignment.
    Takes a little trial and error, but if you us the following links they tell you all you need to know...

Park Tool

Utah MTB Fixit

let the air out to pop them off.
    i always think its gas with crap bikes, your spend ages doing the brakes, get them perfect then the customer, asks you to undo them, the spring takes a whack in the car and bang they are out of balance.................2 weeks later sombody complaing about them almost being hit by a bus only for some blue and white bird to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

kona wrote: »
    let the air out to pop them off.
    I had to do this on my commute this morning. My rear mudguard popped off its mounts, and the mudguard got caught by the tyre and almost wrapped around itself. Good job I wasn't going fast at the time, so I was able to stop before any damage to the wheel or the cyclist.

I had to take off the wheel to get access to the locking nut holding the mudguard in place, and with my chunky MTB tyres and recently tightened brakes, I had no choice but to deflate the tyre. It's a bummer as I never get good pressure back with the little hand pump, so I had to wait until I got back home to get them nice and bouncy again.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to buy a single replacement mudguard, or do they come in pairs?

1st photo is a beaut btw!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Eh Cheers! Just switched it to macro. Yeah you can pop them off on the Sirrus.

Advertisement