Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Home server.

Options
  • 14-05-2008 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've decided to build a home server to stream my movies to my ps2 and other devices in the house. I have built a gaming pc before but never a server.

It will be a file server and also it will run TVersity. I may also connect it to the internet to allow me to access my files outside my house and eventually I may use it to host several websites.

Could someone recommend a processor, PSU and motherboard?

Requirements:
    Low power.
    Raid for two 1TB hard drives.
    Decent processor - TVersity encodes movies for the ps3 on the fly if they are not compatible. I upscale to a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so the processor has to be able to handle this.

Any help appreciated.
    Regards,
    Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Not going to fit many movies on a 1GB raid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Heh. I mean 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Ok. I have decided to go for an intel Xeon processor so now its just the motherboard which I am unsure of. Could someone please recommend one, I am unsure which is best suited to a server.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Xeon.....low power ?

Advertisement