Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you cheat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

Cheating in the Leaving Cert is all kinds of stupid, Surely it would be easier learn the few lines of notes / formulae that are on the cheat notes than risk getting banned from the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

If you don't have any belief in honesty in the first place, then cheating isn't going to do much more damage to your integrity.

One more you are speaking generically, I am willing to cheat in a maths exam and so you have deemed that I don't have any belief in honesty, that's a terrible stereotype to put on me. I'm sure you have lied or cheated or stole at some time or other in your life but I wouldn't be so brazen as to say you are irrevocably immoral and dishonest.
    However if you're doing Geography in college, having basic maths skills might be an idea.

Numeracy is not my problem with maths, I have an LD in relation to the mathamatical written symbol system and the language of math.

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    BJC, you have to cheat to pass OL maths?

rofl

I'm terribly sorry that my mathematical capabilities aren't up to your standards and that I don't fit in to the stereotype that OL Maths is easy for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

BJC wrote: »
    I'm terribly sorry that my mathematical capabilities aren't up to your standards and that I don't fit in to the stereotype that OL Maths is easy for everyone.

What has mathematical ability got to do with it when it comes down to learning off generic formulae?
    I did honours maths last year and even that had very little formulae to learn off, it's all about problem solving and applying mathematical principles to problems.
    Why risk it? when it is something that if you go over twice between now and the LC you'll learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I think you're just lazy tbh.

You said you cheated in the JC too, so I think it's reasonable to assume that you haven't put much effort into trying to understand/learn maths, assuming that you can just cheat again and pass.

And PFM is right, you have no belief in honesty. No one is perfect, but there's a difference between the odd bad deed now and again and a calculated, pre-planned attempt to cheat in a state exam.

What if you end up getting a place in your course over someone who worked their ass off to pass maths, but got lower points overall?

• Advertisement

What has mathematical ability got to do with it when it comes down to learning off generic formulae?
    I did honours maths last year and even that had very little formulae to learn off, it's all about problem solving and applying mathematical principles to problems.
    Why risk it? when it is something that if you go over twice between now and the LC you'll learn.

I have already answered those questions in a previous post. I'd like to get off this Brian bashing register (Brian being me).
    If you don't agree with a wee bit of cheating in the LC then that's fine, don't cheat and keep a clear conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

If you get caught cheating you'll never get to sit a state exam again - that includes college exams. Just be a man/woman and fecking learn the stuff and do your best. That's all anyone can do...

There's no point not just cheating and keeping a clear conscience if you disagree with it. Those who cheat should be condemned. The Leaving Cert is a competition for places at Third Level, not an entry requirement. Cheating is unfair on others who actually work to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

There's no point not just cheating and keeping a clear conscience if you disagree with it. Those who cheat should be condemned. The Leaving Cert is a competition for places at Third Level, not an entry requirement. Cheating is unfair on others who actually work to do well.

Couldn't agree more

Yeah, that is a fair point, I can accept your condemnation. I guess the issue is that it doesn't bother me to cheat to "gaurantee" my place in third level, I'm looking out for myself, simply and selfishly, I don't deny that. I've always needed extra help with maths but in saying that I would most likely pass without the formulae all written out, call it an insurance policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Surely if you have a LD with respect to maths formulae, you are entitled to a Special Accomodation in relation to this LD? If that is the case, then why the need to cheat?

What I have a problem with (apart from the admission that you cheated in the JC) is that you are quite open in stating that you WILL cheat in the LC.

I've seen a few strange comments on here in relation to the penalties for cheating. Note the following-

In relation to calculators:
    Candidates are not allowed to take an instruction manual into the examination hall. This includes instructions printed on the cover of the calculator. Any instructions printed on a casing that cannot be removed from the calculator must be securely covered.

In relation to the penalties for violation of the exam regulations:
    Where the Commission is of the opinion that any candidate has violated any of these Rules, has attempted to obtain an examination result to which the candidate is not entitled, or has uttered or attempted to utter such a result or has furnished incorrect information in relation to his/her candidature, such candidate shall be liable to be deprived of the examination or of marks, or to have such deduction made as the Commission may think fit from any sum payable in respect of any grant or scholarship obtained by the candidate, according to the opinion which the Commission may form of the gravity of the offence; and the Commission may, if the Commission thinks fit, publish the candidate's name and address, as given in the notice of intention to present for examination, as those of a candidate who has been so deprived and the Commission may, according to the opinion of the Commission as to the gravity of the offence, debar the candidate from entering for any of the examinations run by the State Examinations Commission for such period as the Commission may determine.

The above is taken from General Candidate Information on the State Examinations Commission website.

Don't use the example of the 2 people who just got a reprimand in the JC as a guarantee that the same would happen to anyone who got caught.

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Surely if you have a LD with respect to maths formulae, you are entitled to a Special Accomodation in relation to this LD? If that is the case, then why the need to cheat?

I'm not deemed a severe enough case for a special accomadation, it's great when people make these decisions for you..
    What I have a problem with (apart from the admission that you cheated in the JC) is that you are quite open in stating that you WILL cheat in the LC.

I suppose it comes down to ethics, you wouldn't be willing to do it, I am.
    Don't use the example of the 2 people who just got a reprimand in the JC as a guarantee that the same would happen to anyone who got caught.

They were examples really, If you saw my calculator you would see the pros far outweigh the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's three weeks left to the LC, or thereabouts. Maybe I'm mad, but that's plenty of time to learn enough formulae that can fit onto a calculator. It's just laziness not to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There's three weeks left to the LC, or thereabouts. Maybe I'm mad, but that's plenty of time to learn enough formulae that can fit onto a calculator. It's just laziness not to do it.

Yup.

You can fit about half a page of information into the back of a calculator.

But its half a page you could otherwise learn off.

Besides that some examiners will inspect calculators before the start of the test. You can get caught out. So help you if you get caught out AFTER the exam starts - but you can still get in serious **** for attempting it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

BJC, you have to cheat to pass OL maths?

rofl

I know what you're saying but that's still pretty harsh.

A lot of my people in my year just don't get maths. One of our OL classes failed their pres. Yep, everyone.

Um, BJC you only need to know like 12 formulas? No biggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

To be honest if I could cheat and know I wouldnt get caught I'd do it, well only if I wouldn't of gotten the points I need otherwise...

No way I'm repeating like.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Id cheat a little if I could.
    I know there's plenty of nice people who just say put in the work, but luckily for them, study has effect and they don't spend hours getting really stressed out reciting jumbles of letters and numbers to themselves for hours. Leaving them unmotivated and with significantly lower self esteem.
    If I have difficulty learning a broad range of topics I have no interest in does that mean I don't deserve to be able to study something I enjoy and have an aptitude for?

Noodleworm wrote: »
    If I have difficulty learning a broad range of topics I have no interest in does that mean I don't deserve to be able to study something I enjoy and have an aptitude for?
    Yes, because otherwise our education system would produce too many narrowly educated people. The split between Arts and Science-based subjects in universities is bad enough as it is.

If you have a genuine learning disability, that gets taken into consideration.

Having no interest is not an excuse and equates to laziness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I would never cheat for obvious reasons.

The main one being because I'm too cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Dabko wrote: »
    Cheating is not for stupid people

Clearly it's not for smart people either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Better chance of achieving higher points if you just know your stuff, will serve you better than wasting all that time in the exam trying to cheat.

Of course that's easier than it sounds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

NO
    not one bit
    But then again...:P
    i'd cheat if I was REALLY stuck, but it's not gonna happen so I won't even think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

Davidius wrote: »
    I would never cheat for obvious reasons.

The main one being because I'm too cool.
    Oh yes my excuse exactly rofl

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

I have secured myself a wireless earpiece and audio transmitter as well as a tiny video camera which I will attatch to a pair of glasses. If I struggle on a question I will tap beside it three times with my pen. My friend that lives directly beside the school will then pick up the signal on his computer and use the internet to search for the correct answer/devise a solution.

This is a foolproof plan and I am quite unlikely to get caught. If you are going to cheat then I suggest you do it propery.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

disssco wrote: »
    I have secured myself a wireless earpiece and audio transmitter as well as a tiny video camera which I will attatch to a pair of glasses. If I struggle on a question I will tap beside it three times with my pen. My friend that lives directly beside the school will then pick up the signal on his computer and use the internet to search for the correct answer/devise a solution.

This is a foolproof plan and I am quite unlikely to get caught. If you are going to cheat then I suggest you do it propery.

Sounds... well, sounds ridiculous. You're friend is probably Jack Bauer. Good man to have on your side. You'll only need a day to prepare for the whole thing. :p

He is right though, if you are going to cheat do it properly. If you make a half arsed effort then chances are you'll get caught.

I cheated myself during the Leaving for physics. Scratched some formulae into the back of my calculator. Didn't really need them but it helped knowing that they were there.

The Leaving Cert is a huge amount of pressure and is (generally) only a test of you're ability to remember things. A small bit of cheating doesn't make you a bad person and it could boost you an extra 5 or 10 points.

Its still no substitute for knowing your stuff.

I suppose this goes without saying but I'll say it anyway, if you are going to do it the key is not getting caught.

If you wouldn't have gotten your course without the extra 5-10 points, then you ARE unjustly denying someone else a place in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

love that film

If you wouldn't have gotten your course without the extra 5-10 points, then you ARE unjustly denying someone else a place in the course.

Yeah...but you get your course....which is obvously more important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 clairehere

If I was guaranteed not to get caught then......HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

kbenzema wrote: »
    sure are exaimenrs dosed off nd about half of us just had notes on da fukn table

Were they grammar notes? 'Are exaimenrs'

Advertisement