Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you cheat?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Lol.

Could Never Cheat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

whats the point in cheating...
    half my year cheated in the mocks and still failed...

and btw..maths...half the formulas you need are in the tables...the only ones are like distance,slope etc...they wer on the junior and if you practise questions would u not remember them...

i dropped to pass and knew any formulas for area etc i never did before within a week just by doin questions...

you dont deserve anything if you cheat when theres honest people who will loose out on a place in college because someone cheating getting a few more points:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think if one could get away with it and was so desperate they'd resort to cheating, but what's the point just for the sake of avoiding learning a few formulae/quotes or what have you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 florencexxx

Far too much effort. It's only the LC it's not the end of the world. :P People take it so seriously, it's not like you're going to die if you do badly - obviously no one wants to have to repeat or not get their course but its' not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Fad wrote: »

love that film
    Why is Joe duffy an examiner.
    I have secured myself a wireless earpiece and audio transmitter as well as a tiny video camera which I will attatch to a pair of glasses. If I struggle on a question I will tap beside it three times with my pen. My friend that lives directly beside the school will then pick up the signal on his computer and use the internet to search for the correct answer/devise a solution.

This is a foolproof plan and I am quite unlikely to get caught. If you are going to cheat then I suggest you do it propery.

How did you pay for those? Work?

Sounds like a troll to me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Nope i wouldnt risk it. Had a close call in the junior Cert. A girl sitting behind me was alwasy asking me questions and he saw me telling her to shut up more than once. So i was called into an office with him and the principal and i managed to persuade them that i wasnt cheating.

Then i walked into the exam cantre alst year to do my leaving and that exact examiner was sitting at the top of the hall. During my maths exam i had forgotten to take my phone out of my poket and it beeped as i got a text. He made me wait until everybody had left and started telling me the implications of cheating. I told him to look through my phone and somehow i managed to get away with it.(fact that it was my mother txting me good luck prob helped)..

Anyways its not worth it.You get banned from state exams for like 8 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

If I were given a clear advantage and has the ability to cheat, I'd go for it. I think the whole thing is a load of bull to begin with, although I'd rather say I done badly than saying I done great knowing It wasn't thanks to my own efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Some of my friends have cheated already.
    Look, I won't condemn them. We're being asked to learn huge blocks of (what is- lets be perfectly honest) rubbish, and to play some game of 'pot luck' with two year courses, in the hope we get lucky.

I wouldn't do it. I haven't got the backbone to do it, and personally I'd feel I was cheating myself somewhat...but if others don't feel that way, and are just stressed out, give them a few notes if it stops them cracking up and going bat**** mental in the place.

Off the high horses. I know plenty of very intelligent people who'll debate whatever you want over a pint, but don't fall into the 'book smart' category. This is a glorified memory test at best. In a way, it gives two fingers to the dept. too, and that can only be a good thing.

So if you're going for it- best of luck and all that, but its not for me...and I wont speak for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it. I haven't got the backbone to do it, and personally I'd feel I was cheating myself somewhat...but if others don't feel that way, and are just stressed out, give them a few notes if it stops them cracking up and going bat**** mental in the place.
    Say you and your mate apply for the same course. He cheats, you don't. You get 400 points, he gets 410 points and gets the last place in the course, which you would have gotten otherwise.

Bit of a bigger deal than helping out a couple of stressed out LC students, don't ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I have to admit if I was told that I could cheat and there was NO POSSIBLE WAY I'd get caught, then yeah I'd do it. The points system is a joke. Points are based on supply and demand (thank you economics!) not ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Sounds like you did sh¡t in maths in 1st year and decided you had a learning difficulty and gave up. If the department isn't willing to recognise it, it's obviously not a significant disadvantage. Kind of curious if you went ahead with your plan today though, people get away with warnings in the Junior Cert because it isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Yeah i'd defo cheat if there was NO way i was going to be caught. I mean if the cheating ment that you were going to be doing the course you wanted and it set you up for the job you wanted, i would take a very strong person to say no I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Yeah i'd defo cheat if there was NO way i was going to be caught. I mean if the cheating ment that you were going to be doing the course you wanted and it set you up for the job you wanted, i would take a very strong person to say no I think.

Exactly. Lots of people say they wouldn't - you know the usual "I'd be disappointed with myself" but when all's said and done I'd say there are very few Leaving certs in the country who would refuse an extra few points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Say you and your mate apply for the same course. He cheats, you don't. You get 400 points, he gets 410 points and gets the last place in the course, which you would have gotten otherwise.

Bit of a bigger deal than helping out a couple of stressed out LC students, don't ya think?

totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

JC 2K3 wrote: »

What are the chances of that happening though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Far too much effort. It's only the LC it's not the end of the world. :P People take it so seriously, it's not like you're going to die if you do badly - obviously no one wants to have to repeat or not get their course but its' not the end of the world.

Thank you! This is exactly how I feel about it.

As well as the fact that I generally don't like cheating, prefer to fail (and have done rather spectacularly so in the past as a result!) :P But seriously, far too much effort involved. You're as well just to learn it, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

The guy wrote: »
    Why is Joe duffy an examiner.

you're not talking about the film "How to cheat in the Leaving Certificate" by any chance? If so, do you know where i cant rent that, cos i've wanted to watch that for the past 7 years, after i saw it as a kid. such a good film.

I think people should cheat if they want to. To be fair, cheating is not an easy thing to do. If they can get away with it and are willing to bear the risk then fair play. Just like the risk bearing entrepreneurs in our society are rewarded with profits, the cheaters are awarded with grades. the vast majority of people who don't cheat, claim that they don't do it for moral reasons, but in reality, they're not willing to take the risk. I never cheat, but if today i could have had a quick flick through the book with no risk, I would have. But I didnt. It's still wrong but survival of the fittest etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I wouldn't be bothered cheating.
    It's not worth the risk of getting caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

few people in my year are doing it wth phones and stuff...personally the amount of marks you could earn by storing info in your phone for an exam on 2 years of material is definitely not high enough to take that massive risk

cheating is much more useful for like a test or something...not a MASSIVE exam like these ones

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ShogunWarrior

Well funnily enough me and my friend are applying for the same course, it would be bad enough if only one of us got in because of points but imagine if one of us did cheat.... even for that extra 5/10 points.

• Advertisement

Quite low, but only if we're talking about you and your friend. Expand this to 1,000 students going for a course with 200 places. If one person out of that 1,000 cheats and someone misses out on the course by 5-10 points, then the cheater has denied a place to that person. And what if a handful cheat, and more people miss out by 5-10 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Maths answers can be sent via text. Usually if you have the answer, you can see where the method comes from.

I will not cheat, if I have to repeat so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭GioSosStavros

In my humble opinion it's cheat FTW all the way.

What's the worst thing that could happen?? You get caught? Then what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doc26

would only cheat in the mathematical subjects, like maths and physics and u values in construction:D.

What's the worst thing that could happen?? You get caught? Then what?
    You fail your LC and get banned from taking a state exam for 5 years (I think) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Cheating in the LC would take an awful lot of effort, I'd imagine. If students just put that effort into studying there would be no need for cheating.

Anyone who can't get through a few exams without cheating is a lazy twat and doesn't deserve to go to college regardless of what points they get. I know people find some subjects extremely difficult, but cheating is not the way to go.

Having said that, if I'd been lazy for 2 years and thought I was gonna fail an exam would I cheat? Perhaps. But I've never been in that situation: I was never in danger of failing the LC because I worked bloody hard for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Well, duh. That's the most pointless question i've ever heard. Of course....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,321 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Cheating in the LC would take an awful lot of effort, I'd imagine.
    sadly its easier thank you think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Cheating in the LC would take an awful lot of effort, I'd imagine.

It's piss easy to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Overheal wrote:
    sadly its easier thank you think
    I must be very unimaginitave then...
    kmart6 wrote: »
    It's piss easy to do!
    But is it worth the risk? (if you weren't sure that you wouldn't be caught)

Advertisement