Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie - so confused

Options
  • 14-05-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

hey all.

beginner triathlete here looking to buy a bike. have my eye on this :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25458

is it any good?

have looked for second hand bikes around €700 but nothing really going as far as i can find....

any help here is MUCH appreciated!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

hey all.

beginner triathlete here looking to buy a bike. have my eye on this :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25458

is it any good?
    Doesn't look too bad for the price, Tiagra gears are not the best, I'd want Shimano 105's as a minimum (better range of adjustments, better made), 9.4kg is reasonably light; personally I wouldn't fancy "riding all day" on an aluminium frame, but in this price range, that's all you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

rp wrote: »
    Doesn't look too bad for the price, Tiagra gears are not the best, I'd want Shimano 105's as a minimum (better range of adjustments, better made), 9.4kg is reasonably light; personally I wouldn't fancy "riding all day" on an aluminium frame, but in this price range, that's all you'll get.

I ride alloy the whole time now it is a cervelo but i dont find any major difference between that and carbon.

But i would reccommend finding a good second hand bike rather then new you might find something a little better a bit older but a better set up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tiagra is fine. Its functional and solid.

Aluminium is also fine. Up until my latest TT bike all my bikes have been Alu including my road bike that I spend hours on every weekend. Bang for buck alu is the best value. It is also comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Alu is very common still on TT bikes, more so than road I would think. You are only on the bike for a relatively short period so comfort is not such a high priority. So if it is for tri and not "riding all day" I certainly wouldn't worry (you won't be getting anything other than alu at that price point anyway.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

cheers i really appreciate the tips. i was initially thinking of getting this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProdID=5360028503

its second hand, a year or so old and in good nick @ €250. obviously you get what u pay for but is it good value? iv read pretty good reports about the ocr4...

iv a friend doing this triathlon with me, also a beginner, and he wont spend more than €300 so im thinking he may be ok with this?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I ride alloy the whole time now it is a cervelo but i dont find any major difference between that and carbon.
    Carbon? I was thinking of steel. Ally is horrible stuff to make a bike out of, every shock seems to be magnified (I'm commuting on a ally road bike at the moment, bleugh! can't wait til the Pompino is back together). Steel feels a lot more alive and forgiving, organic or something...

Carbon? I was thinking of steel. Ally is horrible stuff to make a bike out of, every shock seems to be magnified (I'm commuting on a ally road bike at the moment, bleugh! can't wait til the Pompino is back together). Steel feels a lot more alive and forgiving, organic or something...
    This is true but completely beside the point for a 40k time trial where frame comfort is not top priority. Besides, he wouldn't be getting a good steel bike at that price point either.

have just seen this.... any opinions? Please!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=52546&cat=all

It's a pretty old bike, that would have been top of the range when it was produced. Sort of a difficult one, I would think though that €550 is probably pushing it given the age. I have a titanium bike myself and it is really really comfortable.

thanks for that, i think there are some new components too, worth a look too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Carbon? I was thinking of steel. Ally is horrible stuff to make a bike out of, every shock seems to be magnified (.

I dont agree Alloy is fine ive been doing 6 hr spins on alloy and its really comfortable when you need to put the shoe down its stiff as well. So many people seem to being going back to alloy well alot of racing riders i know.

I didn't know you knew Tom Boonen. Won Paris-Roubaix this year on a custom aluminum frame. That's 260km over cobbles!

Advertisement