Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

calling a perl script that calls another perl script through a webform

Options
  • 14-05-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

lol bit of a long title :pac:

i have this html file that has a form like this
    <form action="test.pl">
        <input type="submit />
    </form>

test.pl looks like this.
    #!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "form submitted";

my $id = ncremins

my $address = `./address_lookup $id`;

print $me;

ok address_lookup.pl searches through a ldap directory looking for my $id and returns an email address based on that $id.

when i run address_lookup.pl on the command line it returns n.cremins[at]yaddayadda.com

but when i click the submit button on the html form i get output to the browser "form submitted" then i get an error printed out

"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request..."

i looked at the apache error log and this is what i had to say.

[Wed May 14 16:48:32 2008][error] Insecure $env{PATH} while running setgid at /home/cm/cgi-bin/scripts/test.pl line 7. \n

which is the line my $address = `./address_lookup $id`;

running test.pl from the command line will work and print out the returned email.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

You're in taint mode (which is a good thing if you're in cgi-bin!)

Examine your setuid and setgid bits.

Alternatively, you can still write an insecure system or exec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

When in taint mode I set the PATH and delete a few environment variables (the latter a suggestion from the Security chapter of the "Programming Perl"/Camel book).
    # Set PATH and remove some environment variables for running in taint mode.
    $ENV{ 'PATH' } = '/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin';
    delete @ENV{ 'IFS', 'CDPATH', 'ENV', 'BASH_ENV' };

You must also validate the $address variable after running the address_lookup script.

Advertisement