Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Rathfarnham

Options
  • 14-05-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,
    I am moving to Rathfarnam, Brookvale Downs. Currently I have Smart telecom broadband in Lucan and despite all the negative hype its been fairly good since the initial problems of getting set up. I am told that Smart is not available in Rathfarnham and i'm looking at Breeze from Irish Broadband, although I dont get the advantage of a landline with this and speeds seem to be lower.

Anyone out there wiht any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Do not get Breeze when any form of DSL is an option. Ignore my words at your peril.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm with Eircom and am in Rathfarnham, been with them for about 3 years. 1 or 2 problems but they got sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Ntl now upc seems to be good compared to Eircom, however they're almost impossible to contact except by email, and then the take about 10 days.
    Good option if you go for their basic TV package and broadband about 50 euro a month no phone line required. it comes in over cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

biggus wrote: »
    Ntl now upc seems to be good compared to Eircom, however they're almost impossible to contact except by email, and then the take about 10 days.
    Good option if you go for their basic TV package and broadband about 50 euro a month no phone line required. it comes in over cable.

Just moved to NTL and had no problem getting through to their broadband sales (TV/PPV is another story..). I got 12Mb for 40 per month, with free installation, a free wifi router, and half price for the first two months. It was installed within 3 working days of ordering. It's a bit early to say how good it is but I'm consistently getting over 11.5Mb download on speedtest.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Coinneach

Thanks for the responses folks, NTL is apparently not an option because I will have to use it for work too and apparently the VPN tunnel doesnt work through a cable modem. So it looks like a choice between DSL and one of the wireless options, from what folks are saying here it looks like DSL is the best choice. I am just hoping that DSL is an option because Smart seem to be suggesting that they cant supply to Brookvale Downs, Rathfarnham and Eircom havent got back to me yet to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

Coinneach wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses folks, NTL is apparently not an option because I will have to use it for work too and apparently the VPN tunnel doesnt work through a cable modem. So it looks like a choice between DSL and one of the wireless options, from what folks are saying here it looks like DSL is the best choice. I am just hoping that DSL is an option because Smart seem to be suggesting that they cant supply to Brookvale Downs, Rathfarnham and Eircom havent got back to me yet to confirm.

VPN will work through a router and with any provider, your IT people should be able to set it up at both ends.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm with Eircon in rathfarnham, service is alrite, not sure about smart availability in the area, but eircoms always worked alrite :P

Nick

Advertisement