Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL vs Irish Broadband DSL?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi people,
    What is your opinion..I live in Marlborough street in Dublin city centre and I would like to get broadband there..I have phoneline and I am there for 6 months only..so I only can subscribe for 6 months period..in this case only2 providers can do it - Eircom and Irish Broadband..I am not going for Wifi technology..Dsl only (2MBit / 256 Kbit)..so what is better for me..Eircom or IBB?.. or is it the same? ( I know Eircom is the owner of the phone lines).
    But who knows..maybe IBB has better technical support, speed stability...or Eircom?..
    I tried to google for some reviews (eircom vs Ibb dsl service..but no luck).

advise please.

and is 2mbit / 256 kbit ok for games? (World of Warcraft,..)

btw..what is better - 48:1 or 24:1? (I am noob to computers :-/)

Thanks in advance!

Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think i saw somewhere on here that ibb can have really high pings so thats no good for gamin, i have eircom 2m and its fine for gamin on the ps3 and the lowert the contention ratio the better ie, 24:1, it means how many users can be connected on the same connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BT & UTV have six month contracts as long as you just go for BB and not a call bundle aswell. UTV charge a €30 cancellation fee though, even if you cancel after the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Also consider the business bb option. As the response to problems is usually quicker than residential. Mostly this is the place you'll see 24:1 as most res services are 48:1
    Plus the caps at eircom (normally not enforced) are bigger for the 3mb over res by 10Gb!!

For gaming the faster the up speed the better. I have no issues with counterstrike on 3072/384 up or down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Its the same broadband service as IBB simply resell Eircom broadband. If your going to be moving house i'd reckon you'd be better in the long run with Eircom. It could get messy with a reseller porting over your line.

A 2mb line with Eircom would be pretty good speeds. The contention ratio is the same(48:1) with all dsl providers on a 2mb line. You won't notice it anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redcorer

So I rang to BT and sales representative said, that they offer 2mbit / 46 euro (line rental incl.), or 8! mbit for the same price as 3mbit!!!!..quite strange for me.. it is for like 56 euro (line rental incl.)..and everything for 6 months..so it suits me very well..

I just..has any one good experience..or better - BAD experience with BT?

Thanks people! :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement