Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    I don't think so, really. You do notice a difference going from 60Hz to 120Hz, and people do like higher resolution displays than 1080p - evidenced by the Catleap's popularity - so I can't see why 25x14/16 120Hz displays won't be popular in a couple of years.

Ofc in couple of years it will catch on, but now or I'm next 2 years it's still very expensive thing to have. Catleap is fun and all, but there are not many people with wallet to get stuff running smooth ant 1440p.
    I remember very well as people here were giving out at me, that I said a lot of gamers already at 1650x1050 and 1080p. I was told that I am mad to say and that majority gaming pcs still inter 16x10... So how did we all got to 1440p so damn fast? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Well it will have to be in a couple of years; right now there isn't a single 120Hz IPS panel out there, and f**k me if I'm going back to TN.

Well it will have to be in a couple of years; right now there isn't a single 120Hz IPS panel out there, and f**k me if I'm going back to TN.

That will be a good couple of years m8, before 1440p 120hz will be affordable and not just a massive epenis addon.

Even now 120hz 1080p is still a very expensive setups.

I am still looking forward to that dell 1440p IPS cheaper yoke, but by the looks of it, dell somehow lost the word "cheap" in that formula.

Yup. It's on HWVS for a whopping €30 less than the U2711. I'm hoping it comes down a bit when it actually shows up in stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

isn't the 'overlord' catleaps that are 120hz gonna be $450, and shipping in large numbers? that's a premium alright, but hardly 'years away'.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    isn't the 'overlord' catleaps that are 120hz gonna be $450, and shipping in large numbers? that's a premium alright, but hardly 'years away'.

450eu-500eu ( with duties ) then a hardware to support 1440p 120hz... Yup years away from now for average joe.

Didn't know there was such a thing on the market as of yet. Ignore my previous statement.

Also, I'd hardly call €500 for a 27" IPS 120Hz monitor a premium. If those turn out to be the numbers, that's downright cheap.

Didn't know there was such a thing on the market as of yet. Ignore my previous statement.

Also, I'd hardly call €500 for a 27" IPS 120Hz monitor a premium. If those turn out to be the numbers, that's downright cheap.

I would call my self a light enthusiast and my pc would be just a bit stronger then average gamers, but I could not even dream of a 1440p 120fps/120hz setup. 500eu + hardware to run it is not cheap. Idiot with 500eu can buy IPS 120hz panel, but what will he do with his pc?

If people find these 120hz IPS monitors + system to run them cheap, then ****, this has tobe a rich side of the boards.ie and I don't belong here as I am poor bum so. :).

you spent €540 on a GPU to play 1080p though. a 6870 can do that for €130...

• Advertisement

I have both of them and no, 1080p 680 performs waaaaay better. Even so, I did said I spent money and what I spent is very big money ( for me ), but we are talking about 500eu monitor amd system to run it at 120hz like it is a cheap setup, which is very close to be a standard gamers weapon of choice.

P.s. you said few posts above that my 680 would struggle with 1440p. Now you say it is overkill at 1080p. So what is my "shiety" setup good for?

And yes, I spent that money on gpu, but I still put that action in to "shadowhearth crazy moments", and I still don't think that a lot of people can afford themselfs such stupidity. Now we talking about 120hz IPS monitor and setup to run it as it is a bargain and cheap stuff. Clearly it is not.

I know I can spend a few extra quid on my pc, but not that crazy amount as we speak here. I don't smoke, drink, going out or spend money on stupid stuff, I spend it on cars and pc and I still could not dream of it. If someone can, then fair fecking plays to you lads and I would be the first one to congratulate on it and I would kill just to have a go at such cool setup. But let's be realistic here lads, stuff like this is not something everyone can afford and talking about it like its a super saver menu in McDonald's.

bro, I'm not taking a dig at you. I chose 6870 cause I knew you had one. just mean to say that to you spending €500 on a monitor is absurd, but I'd be buying another catleap when mine dies, even if I didn't have the hardware to run games at that level anymore. its all relative.

I'm also a broke student BTW. I don't get any grants or money off my parents, so every bit of hardware I buy means I eat beans on toast for a few weeks :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's also thanks to me tea's broke lol

Oh?

Also, Tea, how far along is the WC project of yours?

rad, shoggy biscuit and fan controller is on the way from Germany. just need to hit the buy me now on CPU block, res, tubing and fittings. I'm waiting till I get my rad to see how much space I have to fit a res. I want as big as possible :o

also waiting on my ax1200 to get here, hopefully on Saturday. I'll also be swapping in a 3570K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

Lads, my mum thought she was "helping" when she decided to spray my screen with glass cleaner. She wiped it off and in fairness, it did leave the screen clean but could this cause corrosion in the plastic layer over the LCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

N64 wrote: »
    Lads, my mum thought she was "helping" when she decided to spray my laptop screen with glass cleaner. She wiped it off and in fairness, it did leave the screen clean but could this cause corrosion in the plastic layer over the LCD?

Most glass clear is simply a vinegar based solution which is non corrosive and simply dissolves grease, it shouldn't do any damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I've heard that some alcohols can melt the screen but it probably depends on the screen type and the solvent.

You could wipe it down with water again if you are worried.

I thought you were only planning on running a single GPU, AX1200 not overkill much? You were going to run an EX240 and a Phobya 200, right?

I ordered these the other day http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90462169/gigabyte-geforce-gtx670-oc-2gbd5.asp

I havent even received my pc yet and the price has been reduced by 12 euro so I could of saved 24 euro

anychance I could get that 24 euro back?

• Advertisement

I thought you were only planning on running a single GPU, AX1200 not overkill much? You were going to run an EX240 and a Phobya 200, right?
    ax1200 is complete overkill. I only bought it cause its the quietest psu €140 can buy :o

I'm in a storm stryker now. I'll be running an rs240 and a hardware labs RS1 360mm rad.

cooling a 3570K and 6990, and pushing the OC on both as far as I can go.

I've excess rad area, but I plan on running passive in anything but gaming, and 600rpm on my GT 1850's when gaming. I'll have one 140mm fan running 50% of the time, all the time, just to keep the mobo cool, and its near silent at that.

rest of specs are gonna be:
    3570K OC
    6990 OC
    2x F3 1tb raid0
    256gb Samsung 830 SSD
    ax1200
    storm stryker
    d5T strong 24W pump

Headshot wrote: »
    I ordered these the other day http://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90462169/gigabyte-geforce-gtx670-oc-2gbd5.asp

I havent even received my pc yet and the price has been reduced by 12 euro so I could of saved 24 euro

anychance I could get that 24 euro back?
    I'd say if you emailed them you might get somewhere. I've seen it done with steam valve a few times, but that's software....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

My dad just so happened to have a few of these laying around in the boot of his car. He told me they are used for cleaning fiber optic cable. Do you reckon they would be okay for cleaning the surface of my monitor?

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/product/Chemtronics/CP410

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Can anyone recommend a decent single bay or external fan controller the will operate about 8 fans and has the ability to turn them off completely? Like Tea says I want to be able to cool passively in everything other than gaming. Price isn't an issue once it looks decent and is good value for the money.

Neilos wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent single bay or external fan controller the will operate about 8 fans and has the ability to turn them off completely? Like Tea says I want to be able to cool passively in everything other than gaming. Price isn't an issue once it looks decent and is good value for the money.
    lampron fc8. the best in the business and everything you want, including 0v and 50W per chanel.

very happy camper, my computer has hit PORTLAOISE yesterday (6th), wonder could I get it later today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

very happy camper, my computer has hit PORTLAOISE yesterday (6th), wonder could I get it later today

What part of the country are you in? I live in north Dublin and I always get delivery the day after it hits portlaoise.

Neilos wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in? I live in north Dublin and I always get delivery the day after it hits portlaoise.

Cashel

afaik they deliver to tipp town first and on towards cashel post office then
    so that has me worried about delivery

Plus we dont get post on saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Portlaoise is a sorting hub AFAIK. If you're lucky it'll get moved on with a large truck at like 5am and be ready to go out for delivery at like 8 or whenever it is the vans take off for the day.

Remember their tracker system can be slow as hell, so may actually be in your local office already.

Just to say I got my beast today, the C70 case is such a gorgeous case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I really like it. Mainly for the power and reset buttons. I didn't get it because I feel the 500R gives more for your money, but I just wish my 500R had those buttons :(

I really like it. Mainly for the power and reset buttons. I didn't get it because I feel the 500R gives more for your money, but I just wish my 500R had those buttons :(

To be honest I don't know what case have to have so I would swap it for my 500R. It's just great all arounder. Has to be white though! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's another thing, white is better than military green. I still want that reset switch though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Nice one. Pics when she's up and running please :D

There's something about the C70's buttons I love too. It's like a cold war era Eastern block missile console or something :pac: Still, I think I'll be spunking out for a FT02 for my next build...

Ape X wrote: »
    Nice one. Pics when she's up and running please :D

There's something about the C70's buttons I love too. It's like a cold war era Eastern block missile console or something :pac: Still, I think I'll be spunking out for a FT02 for my next build...

Ill have some pics up soon

Lads its amazing how quiet the gigabyte 670s are on 100%. The cooler on them is truly amazing. No wonder the reviews are so good

Im in love with the case, its a thing of beauty. The reset button is awesome.

Thanks to tea for building for me btw, sound lad.

Congrats on the new build Headshot.

New case by Bitfenix:
    The Bitfenix Ghost

Black case with soundproofing, basically. Looks like competition for the Fractal Design R3.
    Bitfenix have been churning out a lot of good cases recently, so I'd like to see what they're offering here when the reviews come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Monotype wrote: »
    New case by Bitfenix:
    The Bitfenix Ghost

did this not get released already? I remember seeing videos about it. Something about an ingenious double-opening thing that could be locked to sides or something? Did I just ingest a load of scopolamine or something? I remember this happening before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

did this not get released already? I remember seeing videos about it. Something about an ingenious double-opening thing that could be locked to sides or something? Did I just ingest a load of scopolamine or something? I remember this happening before

Linus (techtips) did an unboxing a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure you linked it here :).

• Advertisement

Eboggles wrote: »
    Linus (techtips) did an unboxing a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure you linked it here :).

Yeah, I thought as much
    Bitfenix Ghost is seriously nice. Makes my aging survivor look almost prehistoric stylewise.

Link's dead now, I wonder if they found a fault prerelease or if linus jumped the gun.

Hmm... well the date on their site says today. I think previously it was announced but not really launched. What did Linus say about it anyway, or was it just an unboxing with little info?

That case above is fecking enormous. You could fit a few motherboards in there.

Edit: Wait a sec, I think I remember watching that video. :rolleyes:
    It had a funky two way door. Yeah, that seemed decent enough.

Did I just ingest a load of scopolamine or something? I remember this happening before

iheartchaos?

just watched a documentary on that the other day. never heard of it before that. scary stuff.

Can anyone recommend a dvd drive?

This is my current one

Want somthing a good bit better than that

I was thinking of a blu ray one but this caught my eye
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CD-056-AS
    Thoughts?

They're nearly all the same aside from features such as lightscribe. That one looks fine.

iheartchaos?

just watched a documentary on that the other day. never heard of it before that. scary stuff.

Saw a yoke on vice about it a few weeks back, but I knew they used it as a seasickness patch before

Anyway, hardware. Can anyone recommend the enermax apollish fans?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any good AM3+ ITX motherboards? I'm doing a video editing build for my friend who wants a small case, so I was think of an 8120 (small-ish budget) in a BitFenix Prodigy. I'll be ordering off Hardwareversand.

Thanks lads.

EDIT: There actually doesn't seem to be any on HWVS, is there something I'm missing? Does the AM3+ socket not support the ITX form factor?

I don't know of any itx am3+ boards. dont think they exist :(

I don't know of any itx am3+ boards. dont think they exist :(

How come? I really wanted to use the Prodigy :(.

think its too much hassle with the north bridge etc.

Asus had one but its been discontinued.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659

think its too much hassle with the north bridge etc.

Asus had one but its been discontinued.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131659

Yeah I saw that, there seems to be FM1 ITX boards, would this mean there's going to FM2 ITX boards? He dabbles in gaming so it might be a good idea, otherwise I'm going to have to splash out for an i5 + HD7750.

• Advertisement
Advertisement