Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I think its worth the extra for the extreme6. I've used the 4 a few times. its a great board for the budget, but I don't see many people getting more than 4.5Ghz on ivy. I had a 2500K that was fine on 4.6Ghz on a z68 extreme4G.3, but only did 4.4 on z77 extreme4.

it doesn't have an additional molex for CF/SLI power, which could possibly limit GPU OCs.

not much mosfet cooling either. something else I'm missing too I can't remember. its a good board no doubt tbf. the 6 is quite a premium over the 4 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so updated the bios on that mobo. I wonder what "Ultra Fast" is like

Why would one need windows 8 for it?

no idea. just to clarify, the 6 is probably only worth it if you're going for extreme OCs is what I was trying to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Copy that. I'd like 4.6 or so with Ivy, though with those sorts of clocks, the lottery would be more of a factor than the board, so it probably won't make too huge a difference. I'm also going to be picking up a U2713, so the extra bit saved would help there as well.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Copy that. I'd like 4.6 or so with Ivy, though with those sorts of clocks, the lottery would be more of a factor than the board, so it probably won't make too huge a difference. I'm also going to be picking up a U2713, so the extra bit saved would help there as well.
    you could get the catleap to save money!

Glossy panel, lack of VESA mount... both are musts for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

This conversion bracket would be useful for non VESA monitor's, it will be interesting to see how much it retails for..no good for my SA950's due to the shape of the base though:(

Nfity. The SA950s might be ruined with it though. It's very nice-looking, and IMO, wouldn't look nearly as nice with the adapter thing attached to it (and that's leaving aside the fact that it might not work anyway because of the base).

glynf wrote: »
    This conversion bracket would be useful for non VESA monitor's, it will be interesting to see how much it retails for..no good for my SA950's due to the shape of the base though:(
    am I reading it wrong or is it for up to 22" monitors only? its a good idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    They seem to love that monitor, and it certainly goes a long way to explaining its price; I've been confused for a while as to why the "value" option from Dell was as expensive as the older U2711, but I guess it's just plain worth the money. New monitor, here I come! (after I find a place to live...)

Have you had a chance to use an Extreme4 yet Tea? Just wondering how it compares to the 6. Having trouble deciding on one. Only factor for consideration really is OC ability at this point.

Looks like a really lovely monitor so. It would fit perfectly in the middle of my 2 2312hm's. Though I am not sure on te price/value aspect. They mention it should be 20% lower price then 2711, but in reality its only 30 quid less on hardwarevsrsad...

Far as I can see it does 22" wide monitors, should easily be the width of a 24"(diag) screen.

I think that mine are about 600mm/23.5" wide, most 27" would be in and around this so , might do with a bit of tweaking-depending on how much play there is length wise on the arms at the back.

The U2713HM has VESA under the removable stand AFAIK, pity its not 100-120Hz like the upcoming Catleaps.

They're the ones to watch, and my next monitors if they deliver 1440 & 120hz even at $550. Amother reason to get a third 7970-future proofing ;)

Lol on scan 2713hm is more expensive then 2711... Wtf... Professional monitor is cheaper then the one for home user.... Are they for real... Feck that. New catleap all the way so.

Has anyone seen this? Seems' legit and well worth it if he shipped a few together and dropped the shipping costs.

Well you could have those from komplett for 189eu with free delivery. It's a shame they don't sell them anymore :(. You can still get one from Scan for 181£ + shipping.

Well you could have those from komplett for 189eu with free delivery. It's a shame they don't sell them anymore :(. You can still get one from Scan for 181£ + shipping.

That's the thing, they don't seem to have em in stock. 181GBP = €224 excluding shipping-ffs, cheaper from the states, customs could be an issue though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Trinity desktop APUs launching on October 1st.
    http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/amd-set-to-announce-new-trinity-apu-and-socket-fm2-boards-on-oct-1-2012/

More competition in the 27'' IPS market:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6286/nixeus-27-inch-ips-monitor-for-the-masses

650ti specs leaked/released:
    http://videocardz.com/35043/nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-specification-leaked

I think this could be a good card if the price can be set right. There's a big gap there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ordered one of these myself the other day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LNDPPS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Arrived at DHL delivery facility in Dublin this evening, prob wont get till Monday.

Dcully wrote: »
    Ordered one of these myself the other day.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LNDPPS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Arrived at DHL delivery facility in Dublin this evening, prob wont get till Monday.

good choice. i dont know what to do myself. do i get one more 2312hm to finish off my setup or wait and bet 1440p yoke as a main monitor

• Advertisement

good choice. i dont know what to do myself. do i get one more 2312hm to finish off my setup or wait and bet 1440p yoke as a main monitor
    I've used both, and you can't compare the 2. besides the obvious huge resolution difference, colours are far more vivid on the catleap. I haven't seen a better white.

there is a large price difference though, and the Dell is far better built. dunno how it'd fit into your current setup either.

Heartily agreed.

Anyone seen this yet? Saw it yesterday. Sounds interesting. :)

looking forward to a cheaper u30.

pretty disappointed in the prices the replacement, and lesser, DELL U range are going for. its supposed to be more budget friendly.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I've used both, and you can't compare the 2. besides the obvious huge resolution difference, colours are far more vivid on the catleap. I haven't seen a better white.

there is a large price difference though, and the Dell is far better built. dunno how it'd fit into your current setup either.

D'oh! ofc it is higher resolution, but i did not said i i wll go for catleap, i might, but not 100%. Is it true that catleap does not even have OSD?

i would have 1440p as my main middle monitor and side ones 2x2312hm on 1080p. i dont plan on playing on all 3 in surround, but i do few things at the same time.
    i play eve online on one monitor, then borderlands on my main. my third one is for movies and browser then.

you won't be disappointed with catleap unless its got a dead pixel or bad bleeding.

there is no OSD apart from brightness. all the contrast etc modding you want to do has to be done in the nvidia control panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Leaked Corsair 900D photos.

It's a month old, but I though it was worth a mention. Note the mysterious 200R model, a contender for the €50 case crown?

Wow, that's the nicest Corsair case I've seen. Looks very slick, might hold off on a TJ11 until this shows up. Based on the it 800D, do you think it will be about the 300 mark?

glynf wrote: »
    Wow, that's the nicest Corsair case I've seen. Looks very slick, might hold off on a TJ11 until this shows up. Based on the it 800D, do you think it will be about the 300 mark?

It's supposed to be the successor, so I'd imagine it's around the same if not a tiny bit higher.

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    you won't be disappointed with catleap unless its got a dead pixel or bad bleeding.

there is no OSD apart from brightness. all the contrast etc modding you want to do has to be done in the nvidia control panel.

We need to see what will those 120hz catleaps offer. To be honest, I am not that bothered with 120hz part of it, that was the reason I was looking forward to new dell, though that price is a joke. 60hz is more then enough for me.
    We will see. Maybe more 1440p panels will come out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

Found out about Bitcoin recently and like it a lot, fabulous principle behind it.

Now I have a couple of grand to spend on, what kind of setup would generate additional income when I start mining?

Vince1974 wrote: »
    Found out about Bitcoin recently and like it a lot, fabulous principle behind it.

Now I have a couple of grand to spend on, what kind of setup would generate additional income when I start mining?

Don't spend it on Bitcoin; it's a very unsafe currency and it's not growing. Mining also isn't very profitable anymore.

if you pay your own electricity bill, bitcoin mining isn't worth it.

if you don't, and you've got money to blow, OCd 7970 is about as good as a 6990 I think, but will use less power. get a couple of them with a cheap i3 and you're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Vince1974

Thanks for the constructive answer, much better than just saying it's 'unsafe' or 'not growing' (why would I want it to be growing and to be safe?).

Will have to look into it a bit more and yes, I do pay for my own electricity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Samsung are releasing new SSDs soon, the 840 and the 840 Pro. Hopefully, we should see current SSDs getting a price drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Are they replacements or additional products? The 830 has been around for much shorter than many others on the market!

Got me new Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor today,really nice monitor, just struggling to hit the sweet spot with colours.
    Any profiles i download dont do it for me either.
    Anyone care to share what settings they use please.

Im switching between the default presets for Gaming and Standard at the moment.

Got me new Dell Ultrasharp U2412M monitor today,really nice monitor, just struggling to hit the sweet spot with colours.

So got rid of the Philips ?

Headshot wrote: »
    So got rid of the Philips ?

Aye i did, i started to suffer some eye strain over long periods of browsing.
    Shame really as its a great screen, best tv ive seen for gaming tbh.
    Sold it to a friend who was only delighted to take it off my hands.

Aye i did, i started to suffer some eye strain over long periods of browsing.
    Shame really as its a great screen, best tv ive seen for gaming tbh.
    Sold it to a friend who was only delighted to take it off my hands.

So the Philips for the Dell?

• Advertisement

So the Philips for the Dell?

Well i sold the philips tonight, bought the Dell last week on amazon.

Indeed.

ugh sorry I ment

Philips or the Dell?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Monotype wrote: »
    Are they replacements or additional products? The 830 has been around for much shorter than many others on the market!

The 840 is meant to be similar in performance to the 830 so that is probably a replacement. The Pro is better and more expensive.

ugh sorry I ment

Philips or the Dell?

LOL you confused me, the philips was giving me eyestrain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

Have you tried turning Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) on in the catalyst control center? This improved the colour quality for me on my 2312hm

N64 wrote: »
    Have you tried turning Extended Display Identification Data (EDID) on in the catalyst control center? This improved the colour quality for me on my 2312hm

Nvidia card mate but thanks all the same, ive upped the vibrancy and it improves things a lot.

Dell U2913WM 29-inch Monitor-2560 x 1080-same as the LG EA93, still a bizarre res. Apart from movies, why else would anyone go for one?

Dread to think of the price on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Samsung are releasing new SSDs soon, the 840 and the 840 Pro. Hopefully, we should see current SSDs getting a price drop.

Will that be over the next week or so? Or are we talking months?

What do you reckon the price drop will be? 10-20% sort of thing?

Gbear wrote: »
    Will that be over the next week or so? Or are we talking months?

What do you reckon the price drop will be? 10-20% sort of thing?

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/news.php?newsid=4660

• Advertisement
Advertisement