Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭N64

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/final-ddr4-specification/

:D

Also, the nokia lumia 920 camera is simply amazing even in low light conditions . Engadget did a good comparison between the lumia 920, galaxy sIII and the iphone 5. Its sure nice to see nokia back in the game! Even if you hate windows phone and are a die hard iphone/andriod user, a bit of competition never hurt anyone ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Wohooo gonna order the 7870 when I get paid at midnight. Right what is THE 1TB hard drive to get? This one looks ok??

EDIT: The Sapphire 7870 OC went out of stock at 15 mins to midnight, damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

AMD Trinity desktop parts have been previewed on Anandtech. Can't link as I'm on my phone.

It looks pretty good, mauls HD4000 and gets close to the GT 640 in a few games, such as Minecraft and Civilization V. Nothing about CPU performance yet or overclocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

@the wheel: The F3 would be a bit slower against the latest Seagate and WD blue.

Trinity is looking pretty good. I think it could be ideal for a person looking for an office desktop with a bit of gaming on the side or a HTPC with a bit more oomph. Load power consumption could be better, but office and HTPC machines will benefit from the nice idle results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Nice! If only I had the motivation to go through with my sketches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Retro baby!!!

At 1st I did not like the look of it, but it has grown on me. Looks very well but you would spend a fortune on MR SHEEN cleaning that bad boy lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I know people really liked the idea of these cases when they came out a couple of months ago and I think this fella has put together one of the nicest builds I have seen in it.

Fair bit of modding done also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

N64 wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/final-ddr4-specification/

:D

Also, the nokia lumia 920 camera is simply amazing even in low light conditions . Engadget did a good comparison between the lumia 920, galaxy sIII and the iphone 5. Its sure nice to see nokia back in the game! Even if you hate windows phone and are a die hard iphone/andriod user, a bit of competition never hurt anyone ;-)

I really love that lumia 920, but feck, price tag will make me wait for it :(. 650eu is just not for my stomach.

• Advertisement

Hello, hope it's cool to post a couple of basic hardware questions in here without starting or derailing another thread, if not aplologies mods, feel free to move/delete/advise. Sorry for the basic level here, my PC modding knowledge is patchy, good in some areas but sh*te in others.

I have a 500gb SATA drive that's configured as a second drive (letter S) on my windows Vista desktop. I hate vista so I'm going to fresh install windows XP on the machine. The OS is on the C drive.

Can i remove the S Drive and simply stick it into another windows machine, connect up, and expect my files and stuff on it to still be there? Is there any problem with configuring master/slave jumpers or anything on the new machine, and how do i do that?

If i don't remove the S drive, and instead just fresh install windows XP on this machine getting rid of vista in the process, and choose the C drive for the OS during the install, will the S drive be left untouched and have all of my fiels and folders on it under the new OS?

Many thanks for any help or pointers!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes, you can move it to a new computer and all your files will be there. There is no master/slave jumper needed for a SATA drive, you just plug it in and the computer will recognise it. As long as you don't format or delete the S drive when installing windows it will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Interesting to see if something like this makes an appearance in the aftermarket cooler market over the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

I think the Asrock Extreme4 was discontinued. I just ordered it off hardwareversand and it says Ready for Dispatch (Discontinued line). Goddammit I hope my payment goes through and I get the extreme4 before the run out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Seems to only be OBR that's posted about it so far. Interested to see how this plays out though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Gbear wrote: »

Interesting to see if something like this makes an appearance in the aftermarket cooler market over the next few years.

doesn't look like it would work set up vertically which means most cases become useless.

doesn't look like it would work set up vertically which means most cases become useless.

Good point.

Although if it's so much more efficient maybe you could have a small one.

Then have a plate shaped heatsink that's perpendicular to the mobo and CPU. Have the fan sitting on top of the plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads anyone know much about the Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition High Airflow Single Fan?

Thinking of getting one for the exhaust of the C70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Good point.

Then have a plate shaped heatsink that's perpendicular to the mobo and CPU. Have the fan sitting on top of the plate.

That might negatively affect flow rate (due to say, 5/6ths of the circumference being open, and the final sixth being semi closed) and the overall balance of the spinning assembly, which may cause wobbling, rubbing, friction, wear, more of the previous. it doesn't seem stable or practical to me. It also seems to be a tad more dangerous in being made of metal, spinning at 2K RPM, and having to be completely open. Might even guillotine any loose wiring or whatever else may slip in (children's fingers, for example, I never close my case and am sure I'm not the only one.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good point.

I suspect you'd have to unless you wanted that motor to be way above it. Cant be below as the CPU is there!

And all this would ruin the efficiency of the thing.

Its a really nice idea, dont know that it'd be practical though. Maybe in OEM built cases and mobo combinations with strict horizontal usage(gsensor to stop it powering on vertically maybe).

• Advertisement

Of course this is what some gob****e on the internet just proposed after thinking about an application for it for 5 seconds.

I'm sure some sort of engineer might be able to make a better stab at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Anyone on here able to help me out opened a thread on the graphics forum not sure if it was the right place. Having problems install GPU drivers someone here might know the problem and not have to tell me it's a compatibily issue

Here a link to the threadhttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056768442

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm in need of more storage space again. Does this look like my cheapest bet for the most storage? http://www.dabs.ie/products/seagate-3tb-barracuda-sata-6gb-s-64mb-7200rpm-3-5--hard-drive-7W95.html?refs=42730000-56330000-54060000&src=3 I've only ever had one seagate drive, and it has nearly 19,000 hours operating time at the moment so it seems to be fairly reliable. Other option would be one of the 'new' WD RED nas drives, but it's like 180 euro for the same amount of storage as this 130eu seagate one.

Warranties - Seagate 1 year, WD 2 years, WD Red 3 years.

Warranty is 2 years in the description of the seagate I linked, which I was surprised at

It's just mislabelled on a lot of sites. As far as I can find out from Seagate's site, the most of the drives are just the single year.

Can anyone share their opinion on the Corsair Hydro Series H100 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler ?

Monotype wrote: »
    It's just mislabelled on a lot of sites. As far as I can find out from Seagate's site, the most of the drives are just the single year.
    Ah I see, I'll keep that in mind but I think the 50 euro saving would be worth the loss of a years warranty
    Headshot wrote: »
    Can anyone share their opinion on the Corsair Hydro Series H100 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler ?

I have one, it's quite good. Was easy to install, I get good temperatures with it, and there's the option of adding another 50 euro worth of fans to it if you need even more cooling/want it to be quiet.

It's expensive though. It's a good middle ground between air cooling and water cooling where you get good temperatures, but not the best, and it's quiet, but not the quietist.

I have one, it's quite good. Was easy to install, I get good temperatures with it, and there's the option of adding another 50 euro worth of fans to it if you need even more cooling/want it to be quiet.

It's expensive though. It's a good middle ground between air cooling and water cooling where you get good temperatures, but not the best, and it's quiet, but not the quietist.

thanks for the reply Frozen. May I ask what are stock fans like for quietness and what 50 euro worth of fans would make it better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

thanks for the reply Frozen. May I ask what are stock fans like for quietness and what 50 euro worth of fans would make it better?

I thought the stock fans were fairly loud compared to some. I was also unlucky and got one that had an issue with the pump which caused a strange grinding noise, really should RMA it!!!

• Advertisement

They're quiet enough that my incredibly loud air cooled 580 completely overwhelms them all the time. Noctua, Cougars, gentle typhoon (ap-15).
    What some people do is they have the fans setup where on one side of the radiator there are two fans pulling air in, and on the other side there are fans pulling the air out, so you have 4 fans on the radiator, compared to the stock two on one side setup.

When you spend the 100 euro on the H100 and then another 50 on fans you're getting into the sort of money it would take to actually watercool, which is always cooler in every sense of the word :cool:

The h100 is great if you're like me and you know you should watercool, but you don't want to bother and don't want to have to spend that much money outright to get it all done and make sure you don't ruin everything

Maybe the option is just to watercool cpu. I think you help me out in judgement Frozen, thanks alot

When you spend the 100 euro on the H100 and then another 50 on fans you're getting into the sort of money it would take to actually watercool, which is always cooler in every sense of the word :cool:

Yup.

i am not a fan of the devil 13 stuff, but their 7990 devil 13 looks like a good card, even compared to gtx 690...

i am not a fan of the devil 13 stuff, but their 7990 devil 13 looks like a good card, even compared to gtx 690...

I think the GTX 690's cooler looks better though, and it is quieter.

Fair play to Powercolour though, going out by themselves and creating, as TTL put it, "The fastest dual core GPU on the planet today".

By the way, what's the story with Trinity? I thought it was released today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Eboggles wrote: »

Probably have to wait until Americans wake up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Fair play to Powercolour though, going out by themselves and creating, as TTL put it, "The fastest dual core GPU on the planet today".

Trinity NDA is up tommorrow the 2nd I think.

its price is better and it overclocks better and i dont know if its actually louder. surely 3 fans will keep it cooler and quieter, then 1 fan. he did mentioned that noise might be due to others overclocking and damaging it. that card was already with few reviewers and going on even further.

its not that i would buy that card, its not in my price range, but it is still a very nice card.

as for looking cooler? i dont give a **** about te look as i wont see it :D

Serephucus wrote: »

Looks good. I had to look for specs else where to make sure it did LGA1155, which it does afaik

I think ill get that

cheers mate

can you recommend fluid and anything else I need please?

• Advertisement

That was just an example to re-enforce your point. You don't necessarily have to go with it. The only fluid you'd need is distilled water, which you can buy plenty of from any local chemist or car repair shop. Just remember to throw a silver kill coil into your order as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ill give you better water Headshot, and ive loads of CuSO_4, so you've no need for a kill coil either, so that means all you need is that kit Serephucus pointed to, here

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Ill give you better water Headshot, and ive loads of CuSO_4, so you've no need for a kill coil either, so that means all you need is that kit Serephucus pointed to, here

what about tubing?

Included in the kit. 1/2-5/8.

perfect. Thanks Serephucus and tea bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

MSI in trouble as their gtx660Ti and 670 power edition cards are frying, cause they're getting too much power!

MSI redesigned the reference power delivery system by bypassing the PWM circuitry.

" instead of the 5 volts specified by Richtek, the chip is hit with up to 9.3 volts."

MSI's response is:

" We are currently not aware of any other vendor providing this same level of performance and we’ve worked with NVIDIA to ensure that new production models will limit this free overclock boost you currently get. Our new production models with normal GPU Boost function will be on sale next month."

more at Toms

best avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

And to think I nearly splashed on their 660Ti.

Edit: wait, didnt one of us boardsies get one!

now that someone mentioned it, my H100 IS INCREDIBLY LOUD. It wasn't this loud when I first got it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGyjUs8wz-Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

now that someone mentioned it, my H100 IS INCREDIBLY LOUD. It wasn't this loud when I first got it....

I get this occasionally with my H80, try giving a good hard tap to the pump assembly adjacent to the speed select button with your finger-works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

glynf wrote: »
    I get this occasionally with my H80, try giving a good hard tap to the pump assembly adjacent to the speed select button with your finger-works for me.

That's exactly the same as mine. It seems to be fairly common too. Corsair will RMA it no problem if you send them an e-mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes, but it rarely happens so i can live with it. I think its just the pump rotor off centre or something, a little tap seems to sort it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement