Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Twice as fast response time, 5 vs. 3000:1 contrast being the two mains ones. It's also got much thinner bezels, and USB ports built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hmm... realistically how long before somewhere like HWVS (ie. somewhere you can actually order from) has it?

No clue, but they're usually pretty good with stuff like that. I don't think you'd get it before Christmas, but I'd think you could buy it very soon after.

Now I'm confused as to what to do again :(

LOL, well there's nothing to say you can't get the Samsung and return it if it's not to your liking. Realistically, the only thing I'd be worried about is the response time, so when you get it, play a few games, and if it's ok, you're good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lads im wondering if im missing out on this 3D scene. i want to get another catleap, but i dont think i have the desk space for it. even 24" would be stretching it. anyone want to loan me a 120hz monitor + 3dvision?

Damn you Serephucus. Build my hopes and then dash them :pac:

I'd say the current model will probably be fine for me. If it's taken me 5 years to buy a new monitor, I don't think I'll be worrying about bezel size for eyefinity anytime soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was thinking of ditching my 3D LG and Vision for a catleap, but to be honest, I kept thinking I'd miss 3D too much. I used to use it for everything -games and movies - but lately cos i got a 3d tv, it's only used for 3d games. But now and again, I play something in 3D, and...it's just breathtaking. Drags you into a game in way you wouldn't imagine. And I mostly play older games- Bioshock 2, Company of Heroes, etc - if you had a good GPU, I can't begin to imagine how awesome current titles look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Damn you Serephucus. Build my hopes and then dash them :pac:

I'd say the current model will probably be fine for me. If it's taken me 5 years to buy a new monitor, I don't think I'll be worrying about bezel size for eyefinity anytime soon :)

If you waited 5 years then u could wait another month plus january sales ;)

If you waited 5 years then u could wait another month plus january sales ;)

I could, but then I end up with no christmas present :p

• Advertisement

Righto

Samsung SyncMaster S27A650D - Ordered from HWVS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Quick question lads, I'm currently running an EVGA GTX 580 with ~3Gb memory. Would adding a Zotac 580 with 1536mb memory make much of a difference to my frame rates? I'm currently getting about 40fps in the likes of BF3 on ultra?

Running mis-matched cards isn't recommended. You'd have to use CoolBits, which will force the EVGA 580 to only use 1536mb of memory so it can run in SLI. Basically you'll end up with 2 cards with the same memory as you had with 1 card.

If you're going to SLI, get another card with 3GB to get the most out of it

Source: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c19

I'll try not to be biased here (if what I'm assuming is correct):

When you SLI the 3GB card with a 1.5GB card, you'll get 1.5GB of total framebuffer, as when in SLI both cards must read the same data. You'll lose out on the extra 1.5GB your card offers, but you'll gain a lot in terms of raw speed. NVIDIA has gotten pretty good with supporting really random stuff when it comes to SLI now, so the only thing that really matters any more is that they use the same core GPU architecture. You can have them at different clocks (in SFR though) and they'll both be used fully.

So it depends if the games you're playing use any more than 1.5GB (or if you play with lots of AA enabled). If no, then I'd go for it. If yes, I'd maybe leave it.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'll try not to be biased here (if what I'm assuming is correct):

When you SLI the 3GB card with a 1.5GB card, you'll get 1.5GB of total framebuffer, as when in SLI both cards must read the same data. You'll lose out on the extra 1.5GB your card offers, but you'll gain a lot in terms of raw speed. NVIDIA has gotten pretty good with supporting really random stuff when it comes to SLI now, so the only thing that really matters any more is that they use the same core GPU architecture. You can have them at different clocks (in SFR though) and they'll both be used fully.

So it depends if the games you're playing use any more than 1.5GB (or if you play with lots of AA enabled). If no, then I'd go for it. If yes, I'd maybe leave it.

You're assuming correctly!! I'm not sure what memory I'm using to be honest. Is there any software out there that will show me what I'm using? Afterburner doesn't seem to offer it.

Should. Right-click anywhere in the monitoring area, hit Properties, make sure Memory usage is ticked. Bear in mind that the memory shown is memory allocated by the application, not necessarily memory in use, so it'll be slightly (though not hugely) over-estimated.

Should. Right-click anywhere in the monitoring area, hit Properties, make sure Memory usage is ticked. Bear in mind that the memory shown is memory allocated by the application, not necessarily memory in use, so it'll be slightly (though not hugely) over-estimated.

I'm wrong, Afterburner does show it. I'm going to mess around in a few of the more intensive games and see what I'm using but in Far Cry 3 I'm using between 1.1 and 1.2Gb but only getting 30 FPS. I doubt I'm using anywhere near the 3Gb in anything.

bit late to see this but some info supposedly on haswell.

232963.jpg

no 8 core CPU. decent 84W TDP. uprated igp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I wonder if this socket will last two turns like the last one.

Hmm... What's that "1" next to unlocked?

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Hmm... What's that "1" next to unlocked?

Superscript relating to explanations following the diagram/table probably. For anyone looking that wouldn't know what unlocked means.

There's plenty of things there that could do with further explanations, I'm just suspicious about it being the only one. I'm hoping that it's not something like unlocked*.

*Not completely unlocked, but you can raise the multiplier +5.

i cant wait to find out why it couldnt be used on a 1155 socket.

its not a die shrink, its just some optimisations. if they got the temperature problems under control surely then could have upped the base frequency. 3.4ghz is playing it far too safe since we know already every chip is good for 4ghz+++.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Something to do with selling more motherboards with intel chipsets maybe?

Most-likely. I'd be thrilled if it happened, but I don't see this being 1155.

Then again, if the socketless rumours hold true for the generations after this, Intel may not bother designing another socket just for Haswell.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    Its a tock, new architecture. Not radically new but the layout is rearranged quite a bit and some more things have been brought onto the CPU. So the pin map is totally different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Is 1.43V too much for 24/7 on a 3930k? Currently at 4.7Ghz, haven't had a chance to run prime 95 but cinebench hasn't caused a bsod. Should I bother testing with prime or is this voltage just too high? Some places on the internet say 1.35V and others say 1.45, and others say go up to 1.51 if you're on a custom loop..?!

2619145.png
    (CPUZ seems to be under reading my voltage quite a bit. I've got LLC turned to "regular" in my bios, which should be keeping my voltage the closest to what it should be, where "extreme" would allow this to fluctuate quite a bit. Am I right?)

Edit: Actually scrap all of that I'm still only getting 12.47 points max on cinebench with that huge voltage which just isn't right, and wouldn't be worth any degradation on the cpu

Has anybody got any recommendations as to what fans to use when replacing the stock corsair fans that come with the 600t. I like the look of the Spectre pro but I don't think it'll fit due to the surround on it. I'm looking for two 200mm and one 120mm preferably with blue LED's. They don't have to be super efficient given that I have an external rad but they have to be quite! I was thinking about the Cooler Master Megaflow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

corsair AF 120 or the SP 120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Anyone remember last years january sales ? Just wondering if any of last years €200 -€300 cards came down at maybe €50?

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Has anybody got any recommendations as to what fans to use when replacing the stock corsair fans that come with the 600t. I like the look of the Spectre pro but I don't think it'll fit due to the surround on it. I'm looking for two 200mm and one 120mm preferably with blue LED's. They don't have to be super efficient given that I have an external rad but they have to be quite! I was thinking about the Cooler Master Megaflow?

Spectre Pros will fit. There are two in my case right now. ;)

As for a rear fan, I'd go with something like an AF120.

• Advertisement

January sales are not common in the computing world. Prices are far more dependent on tech releases or even competition rather than time of year. Seasonal prices are only noteworthy for going up with high demand at certain times - i.e., Christmas and end of Summer.

Spectre Pros will fit. There are two in my case right now. ;)

As for a rear fan, I'd go with something like an AF120.

Do they fit in the roof of the case? I offered up a 200mm Spectre Pro but the surround seemed to be stopping it from going in. It was only a half arsed attempt really but it just didn't seem like it was going to work. I'll be trying it again properly when my few bits arrive from WCUK.

Ah, apologies. I never tried the roof, and unfortunately I won't be, as the front rad assembly was an absolute whore to install, so it's not coming out any time soon.

Ah, apologies. I never tried the roof, and unfortunately I won't be, as the front rad assembly was an absolute whore to install, so it's not coming out any time soon.

Not to worry, I'll put the one i have in the front and try and pick up something for the roof, or maybe I'll get the meccano out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bu33les

Bloodwing wrote: »

hey

here is a fan

sshot50cb52ee0d56a.jpg

http://www.envador.com/cases/PVCII/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Just wondering if a PC is on 24/7, might this negate an SSD usefulness? Its just that one of the big differences people mention is the boot up time.
    Also, what other factors should you consider if I'm hoping to have a PC running 24/7.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dust.

And it depends what you're doing with it. All your programs will boot much faster(great for things like Photoshop/prermier etc) but if its going to be running as a home server or on the other end just a machine for browsing then theres probably little point.

I bought an SSD for my new rig even though I reboot very rarely, if that helps.

SyncMaster S27A650D arrived today :D

SyncMaster S27A650D arrived today :D

Impressions!?!!

Impressions!?!!
    So far, it's a nice box :pac:

I haven't opened it yet :)

• Advertisement

Then what in the hell are you doing posting here, you moron?!

:P

Now currently sitting in awe at the sheer size of a 27" screen. Mother of god!

UhSKi.jpg

H07iH.jpg

vLstA.jpg

Vs. 22" HP
    M61wX.jpg

Left to right: Syncmaster, 13" MBP Retina, 13" Macbook
    IuWyQ.jpg

Ay5Rg.jpg

And MBP Retina vs Macbook
    AEoCw.jpg

I'm aware the pics aren't the best, they're just quickies on the phone :) I'll sort a proper comparison in a few days :p

The first place they could have improved - no DVI cable included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Check this

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

You should be easily able to see the square marked 1 if you have the monitor setup right.

It's the main advantage of the VA panel :)

Funnily enough, straight on it's not THAT easily distinguishable but you can make it out ok, however from any other angle it's clearly visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

looks great, but I can't believe he spent so much money on a 128gb SSD. SLC is completely unnecessary this gen. its like buying a 36gb velociraptor. cool in the day, but stupidly priced, and a few years on and you're like storing junk on it cause 36gb is useless in this age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

ugh, my rig has suddenly developed a stupid high pitched electrical whine.. Tried taking stuff out to see what's causing it, and it seems to be either the CPU (2500k) or mobo (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, I think). Its driving me bloody nuts, and only happens when I'm booted into something (is fine during BIOS), has anyone ever heard of this??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ugh, my rig has suddenly developed a stupid high pitched electrical whine.. Tried taking stuff out to see what's causing it, and it seems to be either the CPU (2500k) or mobo (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, I think). Its driving me bloody nuts, and only happens when I'm booted into something (is fine during BIOS), has anyone ever heard of this??

Have the same with my rig that I've just finished OCing. Thought it was the PSU but now I'm not so sure.

I have loud music on 24/7 so its not a huge problem, but pisses me off when I'm trying to sleep and its stability testing.

I've only ever come across electrical whine from a CPU once. it was an old celeron D. you could actually hear as it was processing information. I doubt its the 2500K. nevertheless, if you could borrow a CPU or motherboard to rule out one or the other.

try dial back your OC if you have one. it could be the VRMs packing up.

either way, I'd get in contact with gigabyte/HWVS, and RMA it.

• Advertisement

Some CPUs whine when they go into low power states. Ive heard it on a lot of laptops because they're closer to your ears.

Some PSUs have coil whine, and capacitors can also whine, there's plenty of them all over the mobo and in the PSU.

Try making a little cone like a megaphone to narrow down where its coming from. It helps to open the case up as much as possible to narrow down where its coming from.

Advertisement