Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

ED E wrote: »
    I have loud music on 24/7 so its not a huge problem

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭N64

When does the whine happen? I had a PSU that would wine when the framerate in games would surpass 300fps (title screen of minecraft for example)

Try disabling power saver features in the bios and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

ugh, my rig has suddenly developed a stupid high pitched electrical whine.. Tried taking stuff out to see what's causing it, and it seems to be either the CPU (2500k) or mobo (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, I think). Its driving me bloody nuts, and only happens when I'm booted into something (is fine during BIOS), has anyone ever heard of this??

I had this problem too (twas driving me nuts) and what worked for me was lowering the CPU and case fans speeds using SpeedFan.
    My BIOS has no option to disable the power features... C1 and C3 I think... but this supposedly works well for others. I also put my PC back onto the carpet floor, my thinking is that there might be less vibration than on a shelf... I've no idea :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    try dial back your OC if you have one. it could be the VRMs packing up.

Yeah I'll give this a go soon enough, currently clocking at 4.5GHz. Getting into the BIOS is a bit of a nuisance though, it displays for literally a second thanks to the gigabyte quickboot thing
    Try making a little cone like a megaphone to narrow down where its coming from. It helps to open the case up as much as possible to narrow down where its coming from.

It's definitely coming from around the CPU, not sure where exactly though, but it's under the heatsink
    N64 wrote: »
    When does the whine happen? I had a PSU that would wine when the framerate in games would surpass 300fps (title screen of minecraft for example)

Try disabling power saver features in the bios and see if that helps.

er, it's more noticeable when under low load, like when the log in screen for windows is displaying, again, I'll look in the BIOS for that stuff..
    Dubba wrote: »
    I had this problem too (twas driving me nuts) and what worked for me was lowering the CPU and case fans speeds using SpeedFan.
    My BIOS has no option to disable the pfeatures... C1 and C3 I think... but this supposedly works well for others. ower I also put my PC back onto the carpet floor, my thinking is that there might be less vibration than on a shelf... I've no idea :o

Definitely not the fans as I've been messing around and trying with each turned off. Going to try the power saver stuff now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

for anyone interested, there's a high level Intel design architect doing an AMAA on reddit at the moment.

www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15iaet/iama_cpu_architect_and_designer_at_intel_ama/

interesting info I've come across so far:
    if you like OCing, you're going to love haswell.

socket 1150 is going to last til 2015

6 cores is the most we're getting for the foreseeable future.

SKUs is a touchy subject for the designers.

the guy delidded his own ivy CPU

x86 isn't going to die out.

AMD is highly respected among the engineers at Intel. how they can stay in the same ball park performance with a fraction of the resources etc

fusing the chipset into the CPU is a nightmare.

he reads anandtech for his tech news and says they do an excellent job of tearing apart his work.

Intel isn't interested in BGA for us, but is for other reasons??

IGP's aren't very good cause designers don't have the room on the chip to improve them. no plans for discreet GPU.

broadwell IGP is expected to leapfrog AMDs future apu.

and lots more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

2015 eh? That means 2 generations. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Turning off the power saving features (C1 + C3/C6) in the BIOS seems to have gotten rid of the electrical whine, Christ on a bike that's a relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I just did the below and it worked a treat. Handy for those who don't have power saving features (C1 + C3/C6) in their BIOS like me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292915-30-high-pitched-noise-coming-area

jesdanco's (post half way down the page)

Could be power management issue - try this - works a treat

1. Execute: "regedit"
    2 .Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b¬740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-215849¬2d58ad
    3. Change Attributes from 1 to 0.
    4. Then, through the control panel - power - in the settings mode select power management processor. There will be an option disabling idle processor and high pitched noise immediately disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Monotype wrote: »
    2015 eh? That means 2 generations. :cool:

If that's true I will probably not upgrade until 1150 is replaced.

• Advertisement

for anyone interested, there's a high level Intel design architect doing an AMAA on reddit at the moment.

www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/15iaet/iama_cpu_architect_and_designer_at_intel_ama/

interesting info I've come across so far:
    Nice Section that, not a fan of the layout at all though. See request in for Boards AMA here.

Should be a big AMD Driver release in the next while...

Although better FPS on comparable Cards, Latency spikes across AMD range disrupt animation smoothness and raise alarm bells internally at HQ.

Is there nothing to talk about these days? :P

Decided to start accumulating a few bits and pieces. Bought 16gb (8x2) Mushkin DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 Blackline Frostbyte 1.6V CL9 :)

Haven't seen many people use mushkin over here, can't beat a lifetime warranty tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Is there nothing to talk about these days? :P

Decided to start accumulating a few bits and pieces. Bought 16gb (8x2) Mushkin DDR3 1600MHZ PC3-12800 Blackline Frostbyte 1.6V CL9 :)

Haven't seen many people use mushkin over here, can't beat a lifetime warranty tho!

Calm before the storm with haswell, 8xxx and 7 series gpus coming out in the next 8-10 months

Ive been spending my time looking to replace my G500 mouse with a Zowie EC1

how much did your RAM set you back.
    Its not really used due to G.skill and corsair being cheaper usually and they all use the same Elpida ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I actually considered Mushkin for my RAM, didn't end up picking up any over the Summer though so went with Corsair instead. I'm surprised there hasn't been any 700 series rumours by now. Last news was that it was coming any time around March onwards.

NTMK wrote: »
    how much did your RAM set you back.
    Its not really used due to G.skill and corsair being cheaper usually and they all use the same Elpida ram.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    I actually considered Mushkin for my RAM, didn't end up picking up any over the Summer though so went with Corsair instead. I'm surprised there hasn't been any 700 series rumours by now. Last news was that it was coming any time around March onwards.

~€80 including shipping, not much difference in price between all the manufacturers, and I've a fondness for Mushkin. Been using a <m psu for years. Ordered from ramexperts ebay seller. I'll be adding another 16gb at a later date too.

See a request in for AMD Architect

Does Reddit go looking for one now or hows it work?

Old AMD GPU designer one from a year back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Looking at the gtx 660 i think its the best bang for the buck atm mashing out 70 fps @ 1920 x 1200 @ ultra quality and fxaa high for bf3 for €190 on amazon what do you guys think and other pc parts ye have seen that are well worth the money?

Edit - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/398

Looking at the gtx 660 i think its the best bang for the buck atm mashing out 70 fps @ 1920 x 1200 @ ultra quality and fxaa high for bf3 for €190 on amazon what do you guys think and other pc parts ye have seen that are well worth the money?

Edit - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/398
    I'm installing one in a friends pc tonight. It's supposed to be neck and neck with a gtx 570.
    You can get a 7870 for the same price now though so I think that wins bang for buck in that price category.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/12638311/art/amd/radeon-hd-7870-oem-2-gb-g.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

tuxy wrote: »
    I'm installing one in a friends pc tonight. It's supposed to be neck and neck with a gtx 570.
    You can get a 7870 for the same price now though so I think that wins bang for buck in that price category.

7870 is great bang per buk for sure.
    I ran my GTX 660ti past 670 speeds and approaching 680 speeds for a few days [only went back to default as tbh ive yet to find a game that i cant max out everything and achieve 60+ fps yet so i dont need this overclock yet]
    With the default MSI twin frozr cooling temps never went over 60 degrees C.

Awesome bang per buck right there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not sure, if that the GTX 660 is going for 190 including delivery it probably just edges a very close decision for me.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

Not sure, if that the GTX 660 is going for 190 including delivery it probably just edges a very close decision for me.
    Would be interested in the link to this on Amazon. My friend just paid 195 ex shipping on pixmania for a 660.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would be interested in the link to this on Amazon. My friend just paid 195 ex shipping on pixmania for a 660.

Must be this one i'd say

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009ANT09U/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357504046&sr=8-4&pi=SL75

Good deal, and PNY XLR8 are usually very good anyway. At least my GTX460 is

Good deal, and PNY XLR8 are usually very good anyway. At least my GTX460 is

The box it came in was like a shoe box. Same poor quality card board. The stickers on the card were falling off. Once the card works Ok it does not matter though.

Nice one ya bollox now im gonna have to pay for it before tuesday before the vultures appear!:p

[QUOTE=i'm installing one in a friends pc tonight. It's supposed to be neck and neck with a gtx 570.[/QUOTE] http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=660 Actually according to benchmarks its alot better the the gtx 570 in most games.

[QUOTE=You can get a 7870 for the same price now though so I think that wins bang for buck in that price category.[/QUOTE] http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660 and based on most games there pretty similiar but look at those bf3 benchmarks blows it out of the water! Not to mention poor catalyst drivers and my love for nvidia

The box it came in was like a shoe box. Same poor quality card board. The stickers on the card were falling off. Once the card works Ok it does not matter though.

Thats very strange, I know it's a good while since I bought my card but I couldn't fault anything at the time

Sorry Bernardmac :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Nice one ya bollox now im gonna have to pay for it before tuesday before the vultures appear!:p

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=660 Actually according to benchmarks its alot better the the gtx 570 in most games.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/548?vs=660 and based on most games there pretty similiar but look at those bf3 benchmarks blows it out of the water! Not to mention poor catalyst drivers and my love for nvidia

Not really. Cat 12.11 boosted BF3 performance quite a bit.
    51040.png

Sorry Bernardmac :p

Ha its alright :D

• Advertisement

Not really. Cat 12.11 boosted BF3 performance quite a bit.
    51040.png

Nice post but im guessing the benchmarks from anadtech wouldve been launch drivers for the two cards so know im really confused. Im still going to go with gtx 660 since its only one 6 pin pwc for future sli maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Dont suppose anyone here is running 32GB of Ram on Sandy ? I wanna try overclocking the 2 kits I have arriving tomorrow and theres contradictions everywhere about VCCIO and DRAM voltage. Ram is Corsair Platinums and the board is a Z68 V-Pro BTW !

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Dont suppose anyone here is running 32GB of Ram on Sandy ? I wanna try overclocking the 2 kits I have arriving tomorrow and theres contradictions everywhere about VCCIO and DRAM voltage. Ram is Corsair Platinums and the board is a Z68 V-Pro BTW !

the memory controller on Sandy is a bit slack, a problem that was addressed in ivy. I don't think you're going to get much of an OC.

I've 16gb (4*4) and I couldn't get 2133Mhz no matter how hard I pushed. that was with my 2500K. I haven't tried since getting my 3570K though.

why do you want to OC anyway though? it has almost zero benefit to 95% of applications. I guess you're doing large scale video editing seeing as you're getting 32gb, but isn't stability more important than shaving a few seconds off your run time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

the memory controller on Sandy is a bit slack, a problem that was addressed in ivy. I don't think you're going to get much of an OC.

I've 16gb (4*4) and I couldn't get 2133Mhz no matter how hard I pushed. that was with my 2500K. I haven't tried since getting my 3570K though.

why do you want to OC anyway though? it has almost zero benefit to 95% of applications. I guess you're doing large scale video editing seeing as you're getting 32gb, but isn't stability more important than shaving a few seconds off your run time?

More just out of boredom than anything else, just want to see what I can get out of them ! Seems to be after looking around that 1.57 seems to be the safe 24/7 voltage. I guess I'll find out what they can do when they arrive, if it can do 2133 then that would be awesome, but stability is the number one concern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just ordered my new Cherry G80-3000 keyboard. Reviews seem fairly good.

Fairly expensive at about £75 delivered but it seems you could easily spend £150 so I suppose it'll be decent value if I get a good bit of use from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It'd be nice to have an actually universal USB.

Any way down the line everything will work with USB? Monitors would be the key one.

Is it purely a question of speed or is there some other factor that governs what sort of connection monitors require?

Sweet mother of god.

541779_489062514470485_229992584_n.jpg
    196985_489062464470490_236099919_n.jpg
    1125_489062467803823_1317859323_n.jpg
    603040_489062471137156_1427366405_n.jpg

ASUS ROG Ares II - DUAL 7970 with hybrid watercooling, limited edition only 1000 made. Note the 3x 8pin :eek:

homer.gif

Gbear wrote: »
    It'd be nice to have an actually universal USB.

Any way down the line everything will work with USB? Monitors would be the key one.

Is it purely a question of speed or is there some other factor that governs what sort of connection monitors require?

Just speed essentially, the proposed increase to 10 Gbps should make it a much more suitable interface for use with external monitors, just like thunderbolt can do at the moment.

Well, and raw power. USB 3.0 can deliver three times the power of USB 2. (.5A vs. 1.5A) Hence only certain things charging over USB 3.0 - ASUS' FT101, for instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Gbear wrote: »

A big concern for things like monitors would be the latency/overhead and signal quality/loss. I'm not much of a guru so I don't know if USB would be a suitable interface but there is other things to consider than the transfer rate.

I guess I could google this and give a better answer but I'm lazy :p

• Advertisement

considering that there are USB monitors (usually small >10" touch screens) its not off the cards completely. they do suffer from horrendous input lag though. grand for browsing and using as a second screen, but useless for gaming or the like.

how much power do 3.5" HDD's use? surely 1.5A is enough to not need an external PSU for HDD caddies anymore?

will the 10gbps upgrade require new hardware or will it just be a firmware update and work on existing boards etc?

why did it take so long to come out? why was there a 5gbps at all?

RE small USB monitors (This is actually very nice):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS6TmigpMOs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

That is really nice. Asus are making some nice stuff now if they release a decently powerful ultrabook/tablet hybrid ill be rid of this dell

where ever linus is staying for ces must have crazy internet because he as lit my sub box on fire

On a phone now but were there not some prototype 15 odd inch USB 3 monitors at CES last year?

ive been keeping an eye on USB monitors for some time, and theyre starting to get very good. even some IPS stuff showing up. reason is I want my second screen to be a touch screen so i can do some nice controlling while in game without having to pause +alt/tab. problem is windows7 is has a pretty poor control of touch screen if it isnt your primary monitor, so the drivers have to come from the vendor, and theyre never really good.

havent looked into how good win8 is optimized for the same thing yet.

well im not much of a reviewer and im not sure if this belongs in the HW discussion thread..

setup:
    Akasa FC6 6 channel fan controller. (30W per channel, 0v->12v)
    Asrock z77 extreme6
    8gb ram
    pentium G2120
    corsair A70 heatsink (passive!)
    AX750 (fan off)
    HD6450 passive

the SP120 Quiet Editions (SPQE) comes in a very nice package, looks fantastic with the interchangeable colour rings, a resistor cable to slow them down more (which i left off for the testing) etc etc, but you all already know that. the Gentle typhoons (GT) looks bland, grey, industrial and well to be blunt just plain ugly.:o

the nitty gritty is that the SPQE runs at 1450rpm, and the GT model i have are the 1850rpm's. i cant really compare rpm vs rpm without a lot of hassle going through speedfan via the mobo, so i just did % of total power from 0v to 12v.

i also dont have a tachometer so i used my face as a judge, and put them right against my ear for sound :o

@~10% (~1.2v) , they both sound the same. its hard to tell which is pushing more air cause theyre both pushing very little.

@~20%, a noticeable click, though soft, can be heard from the SP's. this is common with cheaper fans when they're under powered on a fan controller. GT takes the edge on air, slightly. rpm advantage i figure. no clicks from GT even at 5%.

@~40% clicking more apparent on SP. soft "whirr" from the GT and SP. GT definitely push more air.

@60%, clicking dies, but is replaced with a noticeable "clunking" sound every few revolutions on the SP. to make sure its not a faulty fan i tried my second SP with the same result, what that means i dont know. both faulty, or both normal. GT noise almost indistinguishable from 40%.

@80% clunking still there, but less apparent as air noise "whirring" is getting fairly loud. GT pushing much more air, and much more directed. its an unfair comparison cause the AF (as opposed to SP) series fan is meant to be a the a rad fan iirc so would be better with the whole static pressure thing.

EDIT: AF is high air flow and low pressure, SP is high pressure. bit disappointed in SP's now. i thought i was doing an unfair comparison cause i thought the AF was actually the high pressure ones, thinking i was comparing GT vs SP as apple vs oranges w/r/t static pressure.

@100%, the GT hasn't actually gotten much louder than around 60-70%. bit of a squeal off the SP's, and clunking has died. id guestimate that the GT's are pushing ~50% more air at this point. rpm advantage for sure. GT's quieter than SP at this point though.

overall, its an easy victory for the GT's.
    they were quieter and pushed more air at every level.
    I have to stress that moving my ear away from the SP's even 50cm's and the squeal is almost inaudible. im doing a very unrealistic test with no real dBA meter or tachometer.

results will vary person to person guaranteed.

ive become very sensitive to noise as of late for some reason, but to complicate it further, "loudness" is measured in a logarithmic scale, meaning your ear perceives a change in 3db as a doubling in loudness.

its an interesting conclusion because corsair claims 23 dBA and skythe says the 1850s are 28 dBA.

ive had the HTPC running the SP's for a few days now, and none of the housemates have commented on noise, so id say the average person will not notice any difference. for that reason, id have no problem recommending the SP's to people, and will advise them over the GT's for the aesthetics alone, and theyre around E2 cheaper.

for myself though on my personal rig, and anyone using water cooling, the GT's push much more air at the same noise level. in particular, the SP's dont like low voltages nearly as well as GT's. (though theyre much better than standard coolermaster fans at handling it)

any questions/suggestions etc welcome.

Very nice. I'd been waiting for that for a while. It's interesting, because it sounds like the SPs are very similar to my Akasa Apaches. I never tested them in quite that detail (Just did 5/7/12V quick checks) but a lot sounds the same. They didn't feel like they were pushing as much air (1450RPM max) and were definitely louder, with a noticeable tick at lower voltages.

Reinforces my opinion that GTs just plain rock. :P

Side note: 80% paragraph you call them AFs, confused me nicely for a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I have some 1150rpm GTs in my system at the moment along with some Corsair SP120s, too.

If there's one thing I've noticed, it's that the SPs are definitely much louder than the GTs; even if I were to run them at about 1150rpm I'd still say that they'd produce a good bit more noise.

I'm phasing the GTs out though, for one reason: Looks. The SP120s (IMO) are absolutely beautiful, and the GTs don't go well at all with the black/red colour scheme I'm going for in my 400r.

On a similar note, does anyone here have AF120s or AF140s? Are they any quieter?

thanks. i fixed the confusion there i hope?

you're not the first person ive heard comparing the SP120's to the Apaches, so you could be right.

pretty much to sum it up, the GT's are still king, but could take a few notes in the aesthetics department from corsair.

Agreed. (And yes, confusion avoided)

• Advertisement
Advertisement