Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ED E wrote: »

That's seriously gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Gbear wrote: »
    That's seriously gay.

And yet... I want one.

Serephucus wrote: »
    And yet... I want one.

I'm sure the card itself is great but the video...
    steady on lads, it's a graphics card, not a ****ing stealth bomber.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

so what is the euro price on one of those bad boys

Most-likely between €800 and €850.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

yeah i think i read 870 as an estimate somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i said id wait for the 7/8 series cards but if i get a job i will probably buy one

im weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I hate when youtubers put in kids in their reviews like this. I am not of those things called kids in the first place and it is even more annoying when it is just ruins the video.

As for the card. for 900eu they can keep it. Seriuosly, we need more performance per price, not performance for FECKING STUPID HIGH PRICE GPUs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

I hate when youtubers put in kids in their reviews like this. I am not of those things called kids in the first place and it is even more annoying when it is just ruins the video.

As for the card. for 900eu they can keep it. Seriuosly, we need more performance per price, not performance for FECKING STUPID HIGH PRICE GPUs.
    I actually thought the kid was quite cool :).

But yeah, it's a bit too expensive for me to ever consider. I'd much rather get a 690/7990 at that price.

• Advertisement

A 690, really? Bearing in mind we haven't got reviews yet, and there have been some saying narrow losses, others saying narrow wins. Let's say it performs equally. Why, for roughly the same price, and performance, would you not go with a single GPU over a dual GPU solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The LCD OCing looks interesting.

What really quipped my interest was GPU Boost 2.0. tl;dr, it's the same as normal, but it takes GPU temperatures as the decider, rather than power draw. Waterblock = Win. Apparently the card can gain an extra 200MHz core clock if a block is thrown on.

I'm wondering:
    A) If it's possible for this to be implemented on the 600 series cards.
    B) If NVIDIA will actually implement it.

I'm wondering:
    A) If it's possible for this to be implemented on the 600 series cards.
    B) If NVIDIA will actually implement it.

i can't imagine any issues with putting it on 600 cards apart from maybe component quality

no unless nvidia is feeling particularly nice i don't see that happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

A 690, really? Bearing in mind we haven't got reviews yet, and there have been some saying narrow losses, others saying narrow wins. Let's say it performs equally. Why, for roughly the same price, and performance, would you not go with a single GPU over a dual GPU solution?

If the Titan was at 690 levels, I'd go for the Titan of course.

However, I think that it may be 70-80% of average 690 levels, if the scaling is average/good. 10 months after the 690 was released, Nvidia brings out a single GPU solution (yay) that is as expensive as a 690, and it won't be able to perform like it (nay).

The stock cooler is beautiful though, and quiet.

Point taken. Remembering though that the 600 series cards have seen huge improvements in speed since launch. The 690 is a more mature card, and while scaling will be an issue and all that, it's still had quite a bit of time for its drivers to be tweaked, where-as Titan won't get that, so benched results +~10% I'd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Im looking for an average socket 1155 cpu. Something between one of them single core celerons and an i7. Cant belive the number of them that are there at the moment. Around the hundred mark give or take a few euro would be nice

Going to be pairing it with the z77 extreme 4 on a test bench

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

deejer wrote: »
    Im looking for an average socket 1155 cpu. Something between one of them single core celerons and an i7. Cant belive the number of them that are there at the moment. Around the hundred mark give or take a few euro would be nice

Going to be pairing it with the z77 extreme 4 on a test bench

i3-3220?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

690 performance on a single GPU? Hello mercury engine! Although for that money you could be getting a quadro series card which would most likely still out perform it... but with gaming performance too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Is it premature to think that AMD's foothold in the next gen consoles + Gaming Evolved being bigger than TWIMTBP right now mean that there CPU's are going to make a lot of sense this year.

Some interesting Crysis 3 CPU benchmarks were dual core 13's are rendered virtually useless.
    i7 owners should be happy as hyper-threading is finally being put to use.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/Crysis-3-Test-CPU-Benchmark-1056578/

deconduo wrote: »

ya thats actually the one I was looking at. But do any of them around that price have an unlocked multiplier?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ya thats actually the one I was looking at. But do any of them around that price have an unlocked multiplier?

Nope. No budget Intel CPU does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I think for a budget overclocking fix i'd be looking towards the fx 6300 myself. Those can go well north of 4.5 ghz for a very nice performance boost. The 965be would be worth considering too.

If just leaving at stock speeds the i3 would get my vote. But locked CPUs are so boring imo :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Anyone had any experience with any of the HIS graphics cards? I was looking at this and after reading the review on techpowerup it seems to match a stock gtx 670 out of the box. Looking at BF 3 scores at 1080p it gets around 67.5 fps and once overclocked it increases to 82.9 fps. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

7950's are the best value high end card.

That price is a little high though. You can get the xfx model on scan for £220 with 2 new games. The cooler is not as good as that HIS one and the base clocks aren't as high but it should overclock near enough to what this can.

Overclockers have a good range but really **** prices.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Anyone had any experience with any of the HIS graphics cards? I was looking at this and after reading the review on techpowerup it seems to match a stock gtx 670 out of the box. Looking at BF 3 scores at 1080p it gets around 67.5 fps and once overclocked it increases to 82.9 fps. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the card.

HIS make very good cards, especially their IceQ models and that is most certainly a top notch HD7950.

The club3d RoyalKing is a pretty good overclocker as well and probably slightly better bang for buck at under €300 delivered from HWVS, but you wouldn't be going too far wrong with the HIS either.

http://lb.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/66982/Club+3D+Radeon+HD+7950+royalKing%2C+3GB+GDDR5%2C+AMD+Radeon+HD+7950%2C+PCI-+Express.article

marco_polo wrote: »
    I think for a budget overclocking fix i'd be looking towards the fx 6300 myself. Those can go well north of 4.5 ghz for a very nice performance boost. The 965be would be worth considering too.

If just leaving at stock speeds the i3 would get my vote. But locked CPUs are so boring imo :p

Ya i actually have the 965be in a build at the moment. Great little cpu for overclocking. I was looking for something to pair the z77 board with though. I might do a bit of swapping around so and throw the 965 on the test bench and throw the i3 into the computer

So, titan is out.

About 10% less performance than the 690 at 19x10 and 25x16. I'm going to put that down to drivers though. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets to be 10% more powerful a month or so down the line.

It's kind of funny actually, because it would cost me €370 to buy another 670 (which would give better performance, in most cases) but would cost €530 to upgrade to Titan. Still, can't fit two 670s in a Prodigy...

In other news: Here's hoping GPU Boost 2.0 will be given to 600 series owners. I'm kind of thinking it will because Linus mentions in his GPU Boost overclocking guide "Good luck in your overclocking, whether it's with Titan, or any other GPU Boost 2.0 GPU". Here's hoping that was a hint. I will mean those of us with 600 series GPUs under water should see a huge jump in performance.

well titan is a no go for me anyway atm its ~£80 more expensive than a 690. can almost buy a waterblock for that. I wont be buying for another month or so but gtx690 WC prodigy build is looking likely:D

You'll be in a good position to see how Titan has matured, and if there's been any price drops. :)

You'll be in a good position to see how Titan has matured, and if there's been any price drops. :)

if it drops below or to equally pricing as the 690 and theres a waterblock available ill go titan as my waterloop and esb bill will be more comfortable :pac:

now the only question left is what colour prodigy? :pac:

• Advertisement

I've actually been agonizing over that one for a while myself. I was initially thinking black, because I'm just not a fan of white quite as much, but it really has grown on me. I personally think it just suits the case a lot more, and you get a much nicer feeling for the lines and shape of it with white rather than black. Mind you, this could all change next month, but as it stands I'll be going with a white one, and sticking a couple of LED strips underneath it.

I initially wasn't really considering Titan that much, because of the price, but depending on what people on water can get out of it, I might jump on one. Linus got his from 837 base, up to 1.26GHz boost. That's air. Kingpin got his to 1.7 on LN2, so I'm thinking 1.35 should be doable.

1.35GHz on a GPU... I'm sorry, but that's just ****ing cool.

I've actually been agonizing over that one for a while myself. I was initially thinking black, because I'm just not a fan of white quite as much, but it really has grown on me. I personally think it just suits the case a lot more, and you get a much nicer feeling for the lines and shape of it with white rather than black. Mind you, this could all change next month, but as it stands I'll be going with a white one, and sticking a couple of LED strips underneath it.
    the white is really nice in the flesh imo teas looks so nice only problem is the lack of mesh on the front but that can be bought for a tenner as well as side windows for the same
    I initially wasn't really considering Titan that much, because of the price, but depending on what people on water can get out of it, I might jump on one. Linus got his from 837 base, up to 1.26GHz boost. That's air. Kingpin got his to 1.7 on LN2, so I'm thinking 1.35 should be doable.

1.35GHz on a GPU... I'm sorry, but that's just ****ing cool.

i hadnt expected to buy 6XX/7XXX cards and was waiting to buy the next gen but with AMD busy producing ps4/xbox chips that will probably delay amd cards and nvidia dont look like they're releasing new cards this year i said ill take a punt on one of the 2 most powerful nvidia cards (im very interested in shield)

if 1337MHz is doable i will stick at that :pac:

That's actually one of the draws for me. Mine will be blocked up and soundproofed everywhere, so the front not being completely open is a plus. Is it just me, or does the white have a slight blue/silver tint to it? It's really hard to tell from photos, but it doesn't look quite so yellow as other white cases I've seen. (If that makes any sense)

Yeah, I specifically got a 670 figuring something decent would be out by June, so I might pick one up. There's always the fact that I could pick up a 512GB SSD and VA monitor for the same price though. First world problems. :P

beno619 wrote: »
    Is it premature to think that AMD's foothold in the next gen consoles + Gaming Evolved being bigger than TWIMTBP right now mean that there CPU's are going to make a lot of sense this year.

Some interesting Crysis 3 CPU benchmarks were dual core 13's are rendered virtually useless.
    i7 owners should be happy as hyper-threading is finally being put to use.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Crysis-3-PC-235317/Tests/Crysis-3-Test-CPU-Benchmark-1056578/

I am starting to wonder if they are trying to push mainstream acceptance of HSA via the trojan horse that is the next generation consoles. Looking at what has been release thus far about the PS4 suggested it may well be a near full HSA compliant SoC.

If they have convinced MS to go down a similar path with it could turn out to be a very smart move from AMD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

marco_polo wrote: »
    I am starting to wonder if they are trying to push mainstream acceptance of HSA via the trojan horse that is the next generation consoles. Looking at what has been release thus far about the PS4 suggested it may well be a near full HSA compliant SoC.

If they have convinced MS to go down a similar path with it could turn out to be a very smart move from AMD.

It could also be down to the fact that they decided we will make an 8 core CPU now because everything is going so multi threaded it will make sense in the next year or two .
    I also remember reading an interview with an Intel engineer and he was saying about all the respect they had for AMd engineers because of the bugdet constraints and the fact they are so competitive for the money spent on R & D .

I also remember reading an interview with an Intel engineer and he was saying about all the respect they had for AMd engineers because of the bugdet constraints and the fact they are so competitive for the money spent on R & D .

in fairness intel drop more money per year on r&d than what amd's entire company is worth the fact theyre even close is nothing short of amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Well the new consoles ports should hopefully be multithreaded.
    AMD CPU's will look very good for the price for anybody who is just gaming,this console deal may save their whole CPU division :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Titans on hardwareversand for 949 but not in stock for a few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

beno619 wrote: »
    Well the new consoles ports should hopefully be multithreaded.
    AMD CPU's will look very good for the price for anybody who is just gaming,this console deal may save their whole CPU division :-)

If the consoles are similar to pc's it could be a case of less buggy ports too :D

• Advertisement

If the consoles are similar to pc's it could be a case of less buggy ports too :D

no we will still get buggy ports (360 had pc like architecture and lazy devs **** up porting sometimes) but we might get some japanese developed games on pc due to everything being similar now and we'll also see more time being spent on content development as opposed to optimising for cell (imo this was the reason bf3 pc wasnt as fleshed out as it could have been but the spent the last 5 or so months optimising on ps3 that it became the lead platform)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

NTMK wrote: »
    no we will still get buggy ports (360 had pc like architecture and lazy devs ****ed up porting)

No the 360 used a powerpc processor.
    So it was a RISC processor not a CISC that's used in PCs

tuxy wrote: »
    No the 360 used a powerpc processor.

**** my bad thought the thing was x86 we might actually see some good ports now:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

NTMK wrote: »
    no we will still get buggy ports (360 had pc like architecture and lazy devs ****ed up porting) but we might get some japanese developed games on pc due to everything being similar now and we'll also see more time being spent on content development as opposed to optimising for cell (imo this was the reason bf3 pc wasnt as fleshed out as it could have been but the spent the last 5 or so months optimising on ps3 that it became the lead platform)

The 360 wasn't using an X86 processor, it was based on IBM's PowerPC architecture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

MRTULES wrote: »
    Titans on hardwareversand for 949 but not in stock for a few days

Got that mail too.
    Anyone else thing its expensive considering its not as powerful as a GTX 690 and costs more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

IMO it's far too expensive for a single GPU card, a 690/ 680 SLI /7970 CF are way better value. Nvidia are taking the piss with their pricing, if it was going for the 600-650 mark they would sell well, two of these in SLI would trounce anything else out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Double post, so I'll leave this here-George buying a box of Titans. :)

glynf wrote: »
    IMO it's far too expensive for a single GPU card, a 690/ 680 SLI /7970 CF are way better value. Nvidia are taking the piss with their pricing, if it was going for the 600-650 mark they would sell well, two of these in SLI would trounce anything else out there.

it is atm but if it drops below the 690 price which it should gives someone like me who is building an itx build a card which has a lower power draw and lower thermal output than a 690 and i cant do cf/sli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Edit: was posting about ram dying, then realised that I have a ridiculous 900000000000000 year warranty as with most ram these days. woohoo, now i get to wait for it to be shipped all around the place.

Got my Corsair 500r last week.

It's good - my gpu is about 25 degrees cooler.

Build quality doesn't seem the greatest. The HDD trays in particular are the ****tiest quality ones I've ever come across.

Still. It's certainly functional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

• Advertisement
Advertisement