Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ScumLord wrote: »
    No I screwed up, I didn't realise the case wasn't in stock so I've took the case off the order and ended up getting it €10 cheaper on Komplett.ie.
    No I didn't because as strange as hardwareversand are with stock levels Komplett is always in stock whether it's actually in stock or not.

Now I get to spend the weekend looking at computer parts that I can't do anything with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ScumLord wrote: »
    No I didn't because as strange as hardwareversand are with stock levels Komplett is always in stock whether it's actually in stock or not.

Now I get to spend the weekend looking at computer parts that I can't do anything with.

That a bit off a bummer, you're cartainly having a bad run with retailers lately :(

Still not all hope is lost ;)

ubuntubox_inside.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Just a quick update in case anyone cares, the rig I ordered from hwvs came on Monday, had to get an adapter for the gpu plug but not for the screen, dvd drive wouldn't work so I opened it up and it turned out the power cord(?) wasn't attached to it.

After that everything worked grand (except for wifi but thats my fault) and it is in all fairness pretty awesome, I'm constantly taken aback by the quality of 1080p videos and games. Its so fast compared to the 4 year old laptop I used to use. So hwvs put everything together fine except the dvd drive and delivered exactly one week after the payment went through. I'm pretty happy with them and would recommend them because of how this purchase went so smoothly*

*fecking AIB saying that 4 o'clock on a friday wasn't in business hours and having to wait the weekend for the bank transfer to start being processed grumble grumble grumble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just bought a hyper 212+ cooler from the CoolerMaster store (based in NL). Would recommend, shipping was very quick. Picked up MOnday night, delivered this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Just thought I would post about a positive experience I had with a seller today. There was an issue with an order I made from scan.co.uk (site advised they were in stock but they were actually out of stock due to damaged goods).

I contacted their customer care this morning inquiring about this. Got a response within a couple of minutes - order was changed to a slightly different item in stock - and goods were dispatched within the hour.

Was my first time buying from them and will def be going back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I use them on a fairly regular basis too & find them great.

They really know how to pack stuff too.

That said, Ive never needed to contact them over anything, but it's nice to know they seem to be a no nonsense business.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

how do you use their account system? i can never log into any account i create on there

indough wrote: »
    how do you use their account system? i can never log into any account i create on there

Leave the post code field blank during login.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

yeah that never works for me so i must be doing something else wrong, thanks anyway

indough wrote: »
    yeah that never works for me so i must be doing something else wrong, thanks anyway

First Name: Required

Last Name: Required

Post Code: Leave Blank

Security Question 1: Required

Password: Required

-

• Advertisement

yeah i knew what you meant by i must have made a mistake in registering. im not that bothered to log in to be honest as they never seem to have anything i want in stock anyway, it looks like a bit of a mickey mouse operation in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

As someone totally new to buying and building PC components, i came onto this forum about a month ago to read and try and find out about the different suppliers.
    From reading a lot of experiences here , i decided to buy from hardwareversand and i just want to say everything has worked great so far with them.
    I ordered components for a full system which arrived today, 7 days from placing the order.
    Hopefully my putting it together and it working ok will go as smooth.....

Anyway, i just wanted to say how great this forum is for people like me who are new to all this.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm looking to buy an 2.5" SSD for my laptop. I had planned to go with Komplett but I'm just wondering are there any other good online retailers that I should check out who may have better/faster delivery and overall better service and prices?

I just checked PCWorld.ie and couldn't find any internal HDD for sale, of any description, nevermind SSD! All they had were external drives of some sort or another.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

G-Money wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy an 2.5" SSD for my laptop. I had planned to go with Komplett but I'm just wondering are there any other good online retailers that I should check out who may have better/faster delivery and overall better service and prices?

I just checked PCWorld.ie and couldn't find any internal HDD for sale, of any description, nevermind SSD! All they had were external drives of some sort or another.
    Cheers.

A read back through this thread will reveal pros and cons of pretty much all hardware sites, but some of the ones I have used are:
    hardwareversand
    pixmania
    dabs

Can't say I'd recommend one over another, but it doesn't hurt to shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

Just thought I'd reference my experience with Hardwareversand.de in this thread. PC ordered on their site on the night of the 9/3. At this stage all but the m/board were in stock and that was due on the 15/3. Money transfered from BOI on the 14/3. <tip 1, if you are transfering money try to go to your registered branch to do it, otherwise it has to be posted from the branch you lodged the money to, will save you a day waiting time> <tip 2, you will need your bank account number, sort code, the exact amount you are transfering, and the address of the seller, this is found on an email they send you> These are all very important as you can't tranfer without them!
    Money transfered to seller on the 16/3. Received an email to confirm this this afternoon, shortly after I got an email telling me it had shipped, together with courier name (DHL) and a tracking number.
    I also got a time that it shipped, which was after 6pm, so it might explain wht the tracking number isn't coming up on the DHL site. Will look again tomorrow.
    Had posted in my own thread that the m/board was out of stock when i checked last night, thankfully it seems they did come in and the stock has been sold out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

omerin wrote: »
    <tip 1, if you are transfering money try to go to your registered branch to do it, otherwise it has to be posted from the branch you lodged the money to, will save you a day waiting time> <tip 2, you will need your bank account number, sort code, the exact amount you are transfering, and the address of the seller, this is found on an email they send you>

Tip 3: Bank Transfers can be done online! I recently made payment online using back transfer, and i'd recommend it, especially if you're in work and want to start the transfer before the bank closes. It was really convenient that when i entered the IBAN they could retrieve the rest of the bank's details, so hard to make mistakes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

I know that you can transfer on line but with BOI 365 you have to get a code to set it up and this is done by either the bank posting out the code to you or getting a text message on your phone. I set this up last week online and am still waiting for the text to come! Fair enough transferring money once you are setup will be very quick but the initial setup can take over 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

HWV now take pay pal. Has anyone tried this yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A few people have. It's 3% extra though. Not a huge sum but it's still an extra €20 for your midrange €650 build. That can be enough to push places like scan.co.uk into favour given that you usually won't pay as much for postage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wasn't able to find the paypal option when ordering from HWV the other day...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I was doing a dummy run on my order and an option for PayPal comes up, but it also says they don't take credit card funded paypal.

I just did a dummy run also and the pay pal option is now gone :confused:

whats credit card funded paypal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

OmegaRed wrote: »
    I just did a dummy run also and the pay pal option is now gone :confused:

whats credit card funded paypal?

You can have paypal linked to a credit card or a bank account. Seems a bit pointless if they don't have credit card funded paypal. Why pay 3% extra when you can use a bank transfer.

because paypal is instant and bank transfer isnt (not for me anyway)

Can anyone explain the details you would need to enter on BoI 365 to ad HWV as a beneficiary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just a little snippet here with my experience using Dabs.ie.

I've ordered a lot of stuff from them over the years. Their site is easy to use, their prices are usually pretty damn good, and their delivery is very quick - usually less than three days.

Recently I've had my first brush with their customer support and their RMA process. Not so great.

First off, they have no phone number. It's email only. Painful. Their response times can be anything from a few hours to a couple of days, usually the latter.

I had to return a graphics card, so, on the 2nd of March, I tried to setup an RMA online. I got an error half way through the process, but I still got an RMA confirmed email. I emailed them straight off to see what the story was. Four days and a few emails later I'd go the RMA confirmation nailed down.

I should mention at this point that Dabs has an option to get a courrier to pick the item up for you, so I selected this. I had the RMA confirmation down, but nothing about shipping. Another day and I was told the delivery guys would contact me directly. Three days later I had a date for collection set.

Pickup was scheduled for the 22nd of March. As it happened, that was really misleading. The 22nd was the day that Dabs would call the courriors to arrange collection, not to actually collect the item. Fortunately, it was collected on the 23rd.

It's now the 29th, and as far as Dabs are concerned, the collection failed, and they've no idea where my €500 graphics card is. Almost a month waiting, and they haven't even got it yet, let alone know where it is. After this, I don't think I'll be buying any of my more critical components from them again.

From past experience, can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a package to arrive from hardwareversand.de via DHL?

My package was dispatched last night so i was hoping it would be here by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

OmegaRed wrote: »
    From past experience, can anyone tell me how long it usually takes for a package to arrive from hardwareversand.de via DHL?

My package was dispatched last night so i was hoping it would be here by Friday.

Mine took from Sunday night to Friday morning.

Has anyone else waited ages for the dhl.de website to update for orders from HWV? Mine hasn't updated since Thursday morning :(

DHL.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

With a lot of tracking places once they reach the desintation country, the package is taken by local services. That happened to me with a couple of things from Amazon, though I can't remember who they use off hand.

Advertisement