Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[MERGED] Retailer Discussion Thread

Options
1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So I'm stuck with Amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Unless you wanna buy a Samsung 970 Evo from Komplett for like 170 quid + shipping which would be fairly foolish imo. I have never been screwed over by Amazon. I mean of course there could be dodgey ****e up there but most of that is fairly obvious- 3090's for below msrp etc. Their returns process is fairly dead handy too so in the unlikely event sh*t goes sideways, you can just return it

That's fine until you select the 2TB version which suddenly has 3 different sellers and is more than double the price which seems wrong because isn't the price per TB meant to go DOWN the more storage you get in one chip?

Price per GB goes down as you increase storage to a point, 1/2TB tends to be the sweet spot but in this case you can't compare the 1TB SN550 with the 2TB model because the smaller one is on sale. Also 2TB models of SSDs can be faster than their 1TB counterparts but I don't know or care if this is the case here. Here's a 2TB m.2 with similar price per GB to the SN550:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08GVDNTGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_4SG86AY4NN4M2WZYFPD5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

Thanks. The ratings for it seem fine but written reviews are discouraging if you check them out. Also considering https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-NAND-Internal-SATA/dp/B073SBW3VD?th=1

I guess the consensus is that Amazon's the way to go even if it's a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its a common scam with Amazon and gaining traction over the years. They buy a product, then return the "sealed" box with something of a similar weight. Amazon make zero effort to track that return, it just gets lumped back in with the rest of the stock and sold again as new. Had a nest thermostat that was a old floppy drive and a cpu with heatsink only. Its actually driving a lot of retailers away from the "fulfilled" by amazon service, where they stock your product with theirs and sell it, as Amazon basically shafts them on the returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.......I can't recall ever having such an issue with Amazon, but I dont think I'd make a major purchase unless it was directly sold by them.
    Reseller ? No chance. I'd just do without until it restocked there or elsewhere. Fulfilled by Amazon has been generally fine as well, but I'd probably still avoid big purchases.
    FWIW.....I bought a couple 980 Pros (1 and 2TB) from Amazon France a few months back - supplied direct and had zero issues. Their continental stores have become as frequent as checkout site as the UK one for me nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Its a common scam with Amazon and gaining traction over the years. They buy a product, then return the "sealed" box with something of a similar weight. Amazon make zero effort to track that return, it just gets lumped back in with the rest of the stock and sold again as new. Had a nest thermostat that was a old floppy drive and a cpu with heatsink only. Its actually driving a lot of retailers away from the "fulfilled" by amazon service, where they stock your product with theirs and sell it, as Amazon basically shafts them on the returns.

Never had that issue. All returned items are normally checked by amazon and rated to be sold from the warehouse.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Never had that issue. All returned items are normally checked by amazon and rated to be sold from the warehouse.

Its been happening more and more. The items are returned as "unopened", so its allowed to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Planning an order for a build for my son from caseking.de but there is a warning about 21% vat at checkout. I thought as part of the EU this wouldn't apply, anyone bought recently and if so, were there any problems?

Just to update my own question, ordered on Friday 4th and everything arrived today (DHL from Germany & An Post here).

Everything arrived, no missing items, and no extra charges, etc. Very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Caseking selling a 3070 for under €1000 (€935.38 with IE VAT)
    https://www.caseking.de/en/asus-geforce-rtx-3070-tuf-o8g.-8192-mb-gddr6-gcas-406.html

Things are turning around faster and faster. This is a far cry from the €1300 to €1500 asking price in the first half of the year.

Tin Man wrote: »
    Caseking selling a 3070 for under €1000 (€935.38 with IE VAT)
    https://www.caseking.de/en/asus-geforce-rtx-3070-tuf-o8g.-8192-mb-gddr6-gcas-406.html

Things are turning around faster and faster. This is a far cry from the €1300 to €1500 asking price in the first half of the year.

Never mind, its now sold out :eek:

Still a good sign though

Just the fact you could get to it and see it listed is a good sign in comparison to what we've seen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

China banning crypto is the best thing to happen to the market in 9 months!

Tin Man wrote: »

3070 ti founders is what, circa 620 euro msrp?

Thats a interesting sight, as EVGA are well known for being on the higher end of pricing, I'd expect their cards to be in the 700 region normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

3070 ti founders is what, circa 620 euro msrp?

Thats a interesting sight, as EVGA are well known for being on the higher end of pricing, I'd expect their cards to be in the 700 region normally.

MSRP for that EVGA card was about $100 over the FE MSRP so at a push I'd say it was maybe €750 in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

MSRP for that EVGA card was about $100 over the FE MSRP so at a push I'd say it was maybe €750 in Europe

EUR 610 ex VAT according to EVGA, which comes to 750 with 23% Irish VAT.
    https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3785-KL

The cheapest 3070 on the site is 881.08

There is a 3060 Ti going for 829.04 and another going for 802.97

What a time to be alive never mind the fact that I spotted the EVGA model randomly this morning at 11:30 and its still up for sale 2 hours later. I think the floor for prices will still be above MSRP (which I never actually trusted to begin with, they were fantasy prices for PR)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The issue isn't with the AIBs.

EVGA 3070 Ti XC3 Ultra is 609.99 ex-VAT from their own site: https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3785-KL

So what's happening is they sell them to a distributor.
    Those distributors are marking them up before they reach the shops.
    And since the shops have to make profit themselves, they have to mark it up again.

What we need are regulations that prevent distributors from overpricing products, since they are middlemen;
    or for AIBs to stop using them to move product.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 br3ak666

This lads have in Dublin, they run out quick too but always have some stock :)

www.ggmachines.ie

Worthy to try them...

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Is Caseking the best place to buy now for PC parts? Planning on building a new alder lake rig when they are out. Has been a few years since I last built a rig.

They're decent enough but I still get a lot from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kraken1983

How much Caseking is cheaper compared to amazon.uk? No other good shops cheaper than caseking shipping here? Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I placed an order for a case recently with https://www.computeruniverse.net/en who were cheaper than Caseking for both the item in question and its shipping to here. I haven't got it yet so we'll see how it goes.

Caseking are good because they have tons of diverse inventory / accessories & better search tools than Amazon.

The only other merchant that ships here from Germany is Jacob.DE - annoying since Mindfactory have the best prices but won't ship international.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The shop I linked to are in Germany too. Shipping here was no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement