Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people with american terms..Nooze

Options
  • 14-05-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

All this talk about how we should all learn and love to speak irish is becoming very tedious, and the irony of Des Bishop preaching to us is another matter...We are loosing the our own dialect of Hiberno english to american slang.. how many times to we hear news pronounced by broadcasters nooze or Newgrange as Noogrange or brand new as bran nu? This is mostly heard on Newstalk and RTE sports NOOZE...then we hear the dates read as June 4th instead of the 4th of June! Whats going on? Has the Irish inferiority complex come back to haunt us...this is not anti American, its about our identity as Irish people, Children are talking with american accents due to the lack of home grown children's television, they use terms such as awesome, diaper and windshield...surely this is more important than learning a language that nobody speaks in Europe, Do we need to remind ourselves that we are EUROPEANS not Americans!!! now I'm done..I mean finished. (none of us are safe)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 orangebox

I agree!! drives me mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I reckon this is more suited to Radio than Theatre & Performing Arts. Thread moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oh Yeas indeede, I think you have tapped into a live one here, & I also agree with you 100%.

The US Date thing really gets my Goat, all dates are now read-out in 'Americana' even though they are still writted down as (dd/mm/yy) (I presume)? and another thing that really gets me going is Radio Presenters saying "In Studio" at every blasted opportunity, Thank you for being "In Studio today" Ger will be "In Studio" after the break, Joining me live "In Studio" etc not sure if this particular "New Term" is an American thing, but it sure bugs the hell out of me wherever it came from.

I also notice several US words/terms creeping into Irish Radio Speak, like Trash (instead of rubbish), Gas (instead of petrol), Sidewalk (instead of footpath), Pants (instead of trousers) & even Vacation (instead of holiday)!

Whats the country coming to :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

such a quiet and nice place to live that you all have time to worry about this nonsense.

y'all feel me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

such a quiet and nice place to live that you all have time to worry about this nonsense.

y'all feel me ?

AMEN BROTHER:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ArthurF wrote: »
    Pants (instead of trousers) & even Vacation (instead of holiday)!

Whats the country coming to :mad:

The Irish have long used these words also store rather than shop has been default for many Irish for many years.

Agree with the general thrust of the thread though (which should be in the English forum no?).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

like Trash (instead of rubbish), Gas (instead of petrol), Sidewalk (instead of footpath), Pants (instead of trousers) & even Vacation (instead of holiday)!

Thrash, sidewalk and gas i'll agree with.. However on the pants issue, i've always said pants, it seems to me that it's a dub thing to refer to your underwear as pants and then real pants as trousers... It's a British thing too...

Also, i agree with the OP, there is a definite Americanisation of things, not just on the radio but everywhere... Can you do anything to stop it? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

What about kids? Another word that annoys me is quirky, i think its an english slang word.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Moved from Radio. I think this is better here in the English forum.

What about kids? Another word that annoys me is quirky, i think its an english slang word.

Indeed, won't someone think of the children?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Just to clear up any confusion, in this part of the World (Britain & Ireland) we have always called underpants 'Pants' & trousers 'Trousers' until fairly recently, wherby some people are now calling trousers 'pants'
    just like the Americans do.

The US term 'Kids' has really taken over from 'Children' at this stage which I think is a real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

But look at the other side of this problem..

Every generation uses new words and phrases that their parents cannot understand sometimes. That's how the language evolutes. It's natural process and that's how all languages were created. That's why they are so similar to each other sometimes.

It's not today's problem, it's natural process known ages ago, and that's why I don't know is it bad or good that it proceed and is there any sense to be mad?

Maybe I'm just saying like that because I'm not native Irish? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Overunder wrote: »
    All this talk about how we should all learn and love to speak irish is becoming very tedious, and the irony of Des Bishop preaching to us is another matter...We are loosing the our own dialect of Hiberno english to american slang.. how many times to we hear news pronounced by broadcasters nooze or Newgrange as Noogrange or brand new as bran nu? This is mostly heard on Newstalk and RTE sports NOOZE...then we hear the dates read as June 4th instead of the 4th of June! Whats going on? Has the Irish inferiority complex come back to haunt us...this is not anti American, its about our identity as Irish people, Children are talking with american accents due to the lack of home grown children's television, they use terms such as awesome, diaper and windshield...surely this is more important than learning a language that nobody speaks in Europe, Do we need to remind ourselves that we are EUROPEANS not Americans!!! now I'm done..I mean finished. (none of us are safe)

So you think we should try to protect and maintain our dialect but not our language???? Very strange point of view.
    You mention "our identity", do you not think that having our own language adds to our identity?
    A language that nobody speaks in Europe? I'm in Europe and I speak it.

How many here type PROGRAM?

Mike.

WooPeeA wrote: »

Every generation uses new words and phrases that their parents cannot understand sometimes. That's how the language evolutes. It's natural process and that's how all languages were created. That's why they are so similar to each other sometimes.

It's not today's problem, it's natural process known ages ago, and that's why I don't know is it bad or good that it proceed and is there any sense to be mad?

Good point that about the natural evolution of language, and have you noticed how the words Sitting & Standing are being replaced with Sat & Stood! I was sat at the table . . . or I was stood at the door when. this trend seems to be particularly prevalent in England, & apparently started up North (in England) where 'Sat' & 'Stood' (Northern dialect) have always been used in past tents instead of Sitting & Standing .

Just imagine if Lennon & McCartney were writing 'Come Together' in the present day, singing . . . . . .
    "We was sat on a cornflake waiting for the van to come" :D

mike65 wrote: »
    Indeed, won't someone think of the children?

Mike.
    Looks like mike didn't fully wake up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I refer to 11/9 and not 9/11

Maybe I'm just saying like that because I'm not native Irish? :pac:

It used to be a natural process not any more, its people trying to make themselves important. They can still be important without the false accent. I know of Americans that haven't a clue what people with false irish accents are saying.

Good point that about the natural evolution of language, and have you noticed how the words Sitting & Standing are being replaced with Sat & Stood! I was sat at the table . . . or I was stood at the door when. this trend seems to be particularly prevalent in England, & apparently started up North (in England) where 'Sat' & 'Stood' (Northern dialect) have always been used in past tents instead of Sitting & Standing .

Just imagine if Lennon & McCartney were writing 'Come Together' in the present day, singing . . . . . .
    "We was sat on a cornflake waiting for the van to come" :D
    I never used stood and Sat still means Saturday to me. :D I'm not at the top I'm afraid.

But I prefer to say "pick somebody up" rather than "give somebody a lift". It's because it's easer/faster to say and seems that more people from aboard can understand it. I also prefer to say french fries than chips.

Americans advanced a lot of friendly word cuts and phrases and I think that's why American version of English became more international in the 20th century.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    It used to be a natural process not any more, its people trying to make themselves important. They can still be important without the false accent. I know of Americans that haven't a clue what people with false irish accents are saying.
    I agree. Accent will never give any importance to anybody. If somebody wants to get more important, he should rather concentrate more on culture of language than the his accent..

I never used stood and Sat still means Saturday to me. :D I'm not at the top I'm afraid.

Not at the top?
    I also prefer to say french fries than chips.

You are kidding? I cant imagine going down the 'Chipper' & asking for a portion "Fish & French fries", somehow "Fish & Chips" sounds so much better to me . . . .

Unless of course you are in McDonalds, where 'Chips' would sound a bit odd . . .

• Advertisement

French fries are not even chips to start with.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    French fries are not even chips to start with.

Mike.
    The definition of french fries is raw potatoes that have been cut into strips, soaked in water, then deep fried until golden brown. Sounds very like chips to me.

http://www.nutribase.com/cookingt.shtml

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The definition of french fries is raw potatoes that have been cut into strips, soaked in water, then deep fried until golden brown. Sounds very like chips to me.

http://www.nutribase.com/cookingt.shtml
    Indeed. To me it's the same. However, If I were in good British restaurant and ask for some good meal I would say "chips", otherwise always "french fries".

How do you people call on that "metal sheet" that covers an engine in the cars, mask or hood?

Which do you think sounds more Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Indeed. To me it's the same. However, If I were in good British restaurant and ask for some good meal I would say "chips", otherwise always "french fries".

How do you people call on that "metal sheet" that covers an engine in the cars, mask or hood?

Neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Actually, we call it the "bonnet", and the rear storage space the "boot", and long may it last.

I am beginning to think that WooPeeA is actually American, or has maybe lived in the US for some time?

Since when was a car bonnet a "Hood"? & since when did we Irish walk into a 'chipper' asking for a 'Fish & French fries'? its always been fish & Chips in Ireland & Britain, going back . . .

And whats a 'Mask' in relation to a car :cool:

I am beginning to think that WooPeeA is actually American, or has maybe lived in the US for some time?

Since when was a car bonnet a "Hood"? & since when did we Irish walk into a 'chipper' asking for a 'Fish & French fries'? its always been fish & Chips in Ireland & Britain, going back . . .

And whats a 'Mask' in relation to a car :cool:
    Nope, I'm not American, but European. I've got Polish passport. ;) But many people thinks that I spent some time in US or Canada.. I always wondered why. :D

Advertisement