Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Jewell Interview

• 14-05-2008 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Match of the Day after final game

Anyone else see this interview at the weekend? Paul Jewell's interview with BBC after the final game of the season against Reading, which they lost 4-0.

I thought it was pretty disgraceful interview, the way he slated his players completely ('If I had my way, most of these players will never wear a Derby shirt again') was way over the top I thought and highly unbecoming of a professional manager.

It just seemed as though he was trying to absolve himself completely of the teams performance, but the fact is he's had plenty of time to exert his influence over the group and, if anything, they actually further regressed in my opinion.

He's gone down in my estimation hugely in recent times with his constant remarks about the Derby team. I used to be supportive of him being linked with the Ireland post, but after the cowardice shown above I think we dodged a bullet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I don't see anything wrong with that interview. He's dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The boys of the Guardian blog reckoned none of them could have got worse results than Jewell did. Its been money for old rope for Mr Loverboy since he signed to take them down.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest he's right.

And he was right not to buy big in january, he knew the squad wasn't good enough to stay up and he knew you can't rebuild a squad in 3 weeks so he didn't bother, sure when he took the job he said he was focusing on getting Derby back into the premiership as soon as possible, he didn't lie and say "we're gonna turn it around and stay up" because he knew they couldn't.

IMHO he is dead right to let the players know there will be big changes, would be stupidity to say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Tusky wrote: »

I wonder did any player who knew he was on his way out bring this up in the middle of Jewells final dressing room rant? :pac:

The amount of things Derby have had to play for is unreal. Started with playing for the prem title (which Ive no doubt at least some of their admirably loyal fans prob thought theyd a shot at! After all, at least one over excited pundit tipped Sunderland for the title or at least a serious challenge), then for a top 4, then for a UEFA spot, then to fight relegation, and yet even when relegation was certain they were on tenterhooks trying to avoid the worst PL historic points haul :)

Hafta admire them though, they have something like the 3rd or 4th highest attendance in the PL!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

hodgson & megson came in and got the players onside & plalying for them when they looked in trouble,jewell came in and although they were always in dire straights he did nothing to improve game by game, he brought in players to "steady the ship" and they've been as bad as what was already there & now he spouts out that most of them arent good enough,WHAT A HYPOCRITE...he should be replaced asap & an honest manager be brought in for a fresh start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

Yeah, I thought it was just me but I definitely thought he crossed the line in that interview. He has been continously like that since he took over though, didn't he make some joke back in February about having more points on his driving license than what Derby had in the premiership? I've lost a lot of respect for him since he took over at Derby tbh. And apart from the obvious fact that he has to take repsonsibility for their performance too - drew seven and lost twenty. And he still brought in eight new players in January.
    It's one thing admitting poor standard of players or not having funds to buy, but quite another to ridicule your squad.

Advertisement