Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of driving lessons

Options
  • 14-05-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to learn how to drive, but the problem is I don't own a car.
    I've looked at some driving schools, and the average price seems to 40euros. This is pretty pricey. (Maybe I should become a driving instructor, because they sure are paid a lot more than me.) Is this a normal price? Is there any cheaper way of learning to drive? Especially given the changes coming in June.
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭OrangeDaisy

yeah €40 seems to be an average price but it really is worth going to a reputable school and paying the money because you learn properly. When you think about it .....taking an average of 10 lessons costs you €400 to learn a skill that you'll have for life so it's not that expensive really

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah €40 is around the going rate, you probably wont get much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Ya i pay 40e too but he's really good.paid 35e for a guy before and he spent half an hr showing me the brake and accelator and told me that maybe in 2 lessons i'd be allowed drive on the road for a minute...never went back obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

You can generally learn the basics off anyone, but to get a bit of actual driving on the road experience it would be best to go with an instructor, they have dual control cars which means you won't crash the thing.

They also know everything that is needed to pass the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

It helps if you have a car you can practice in with your friends or parents during or after your lessons with an instructor. If a client is good enough am happy I don't need my dual controls then I'd normally do their last 2 lessons in their own car if they get to practice. This advances them even further and is nearly like having done 20 lessons instead of 10!! I waited a long time after before doing lessons to get my own car as I was a v nervous learner believe it not!! I spent a long time and alot of money learning to drive properly with a respected experienced instructor before I applied for my driving test.

In a bigger driving school you could get a different instructor every lesson with <SNIP> so somtimes best to stick to a smaller driving school where you're guaranteed to always have the same instructor so you dont get confilicing information. I've heard all sorts of stories and have alot of ppl come to me where I've had to change the whole way they drive when all their instructors were interested in was making money. Watch out for the cowboys!! I heard some taxi-drivers are giving lessons and we all know they're the most dangerous chancers you'll ever see on the road with a plethora of bad habits!! Make sure you know who is teaching you and that they are qualified!! That's my advice to anyone looking for lessons. Make sure the car you learn in is fairly modern and of course has dual controls!! I wouldnt learn to drive in a car over 5 yrs old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Holsten wrote: »
    They also know everything that is needed to pass the test.

Learning to drive is not just about passing the test, it is a life skill, and pupils should approach learning to drive as something they will (probably) do everyday for most of their lives.
    You could be a maniac behind the wheel normally, drive 'correctly' (:rolleyes:) for 30minutes and bingo - you have your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tc20 wrote: »
    Learning to drive is not just about passing the test, it is a life skill, and pupils should approach learning to drive as something they will (probably) do everyday for most of their lives.
    You could be a maniac behind the wheel normally, drive 'correctly' (:rolleyes:) for 30minutes and bingo - you have your licence.

Very true, passing the test only shows that you can safely handle a car under very specific situations covered in the test. It does not mean you are a good driver once you pass. Passing is only the beginning.

Advertisement