Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dirt cheap meals.

• 14-05-2008 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Today, I ate a packet of koka noodles, with two eggs added into the pot while boiling the mix.
    Apparently, "egg drop soup" is in theory an ok meal. I feel queasy now tbh:(

So, what is the cheapest /dirtiest meal you have eaten on the cheap recently?
    Toast doesn't count...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Naikon wrote: »
    Today, I ate a packet of koka noodles, with two eggs added into the pot while boiling the mix.

The packet of Koka noodles instead of the more expensive extravagant pots of Koka. Your thriftiness knows no bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

charlies chinese at 4 in the morning in dublin. Never had it sober though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

javaboy wrote: »
    The packet of Koka noodles instead of the more expensive extravagant pots of Koka. Your thriftiness knows no bounds.

exactly:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Go with the Noodles from Lidl- cheaper and nicer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Toast doesn't count...

Pffft, students go entire terms living on those noodles!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2 Bixies for breakfast (72 pack costs 4 euro so thats 5.5c each) 11 cent meal okay add some milk call it 20 cent.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Years ago before I leaned how to cook I used to eat noodles and campbells meatballs. These days I don't eat craply but can eat cheaply.

Todays dinner on a student budget.

Asparagus Rissoto for two.

Onion. 7c
    2 cloves garlic. 6c
    Round rice. 20c
    Mushrooms. 40c
    Bundle of aspargus. €1.19
    2 Stock cubes. 34c
    2 table spoons olive oil. 10c
    Lemon zest and juice. Dont know, don't buy regularly, but we'll say 50c
    Cheese. 40c

Thats €1.63 a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

A trip to you local Asian food shop will enlighten you as to the joy of real noodles. For just a few cent extra you can pick up noodles that come not with 1 but 3 sachets. Not only are these quite literally packets of deliciousness, they also cover all the major food groups found in a balanced diet: the dessicated vegetables food group, the ever welcome MSG flavouring food group, and brown fatty substance food group (ummmm.... trans fats).

Why, it's like cooking a meal!

A trip to you local Asian food shop will enlighten you as to the joy of real noodles. For just a few cent extra you can pick up noodles that come not with 1 but 3 sachets. Not only are these quite literally packets of deliciousness, they also cover all the major food groups found in a balanced diet: the dessicated vegetables food group, the ever welcome MSG flavouring food group, and brown fatty substance food group (ummmm.... trans fats).

Why, it's like cooking a meal!

Those flavor packets are rank! I always throw them away and just add a tablespoon of soy sauce. The "veg" sachets are laughable.
    MSG.......yum:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

in my final week in sydney i had $50 to my name and no way to get more money
    ok no respectable way to get more money.

i paid for 2 nights in a hostel, slept on the couch for the other 5. (36dollars) im supprised noone ever questioned me for the 5 days.

that left 14 dollars and i needed 10 to get to the airport by bus.

4 dollars for a whole week of food. i hear you say impossible.

noodles are a bums best friend. i found this basket of discount noodles. yes discount noodles. 25cent each for 5 for a dollar. i bought 10 packets.

2 dollars remaining.

1 loaf of bread $1

$1 GOTA BE SOMETHING SPECIAL. actually i cant remember what i spent my last dollar or so on. probably lost it.

noodles and bread twice a day for nearly a week. now thats cheap.

ive never enjoyed airline food so much in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ah, student days.

i paid for 2 nights in a hostel, slept on the couch for the other 5. (36dollars) im supprised noone ever questioned me for the 5 days.

noodles are a bums best friend. i found this basket of discount noodles. yes discount noodles. 25cent each for 5 for a dollar. i bought 10 packets.

2 dollars remaining.

1 loaf of bread $1

$1 GOTA BE SOMETHING SPECIAL. actually i cant remember what i spent my last dollar or so on. probably lost it.

Thats hardcore:D
    You must have felt pretty drowsy after 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

3 or sometimes 4 Macdonalds double cheeseburgers 6-8E, fantastic!

If you're in Dublin the Epicurean on Abbey St. has a Chinese place that gives you a big tinfoil tray for 6.50 that you just fill to the brim, I just fill it with meat, mmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Todays dinner on a student budget.

Asparagus Rissoto for two.

Onion. 7c
    2 cloves garlic. 6c
    Round rice. 20c
    Mushrooms. 40c
    2 Stock cubes. 34c
    2 table spoons olive oil. 10c
    Lemon zest and juice. Dont know, don't buy regularly, but we'll say 50c
    Cheese. 40c

Thats €1.63 a plate.

Where can you buy onions for 7c? They're like 79c in Tescos and they're the old horrible ones that look like they're growing legs.

briantwin wrote: »
    Where can you buy onions for 7c? They're like 79c in Tescos and they're the old horrible ones that look like they're growing legs.

Lidl 68 cent a bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Beans on toast.
    The food of kings.

Prefer toasted ham and cheese myself, just most things with cheese in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Tesco Pasta is 79c and stir ins are quite cheap too.

That's dinner for less than €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

tribulus wrote: »
    3 or sometimes 4 Macdonalds double cheeseburgers 6-8E, fantastic!

If you're in Dublin the Epicurean on Abbey St. has a Chinese place that gives you a big tinfoil tray for 6.50 that you just fill to the brim, I just fill it with meat, mmm.

you might think it's meat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Once had half a slice pan, 4-pack of waffles and a small tin of beans as food supply for 5 days. Plenty of people surviving on less though.

Edit: Just noticed I've over 100 posts. Yay me!

sweetie wrote: »
    you might think it's meat!

Lol, true, but whatever it is it's tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Thats hardcore:D
    You must have felt pretty drowsy after 2 weeks.

it was only 1 week. if i was for two weeks i would have resorted to begging or maybe go to some of the homeless people and say "you remember that 5 dollars i gave you a few months back, can i have it back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

When I was backpacking, I would always follow the hare krishnas home and they would feed us. A free meal! Well maybe add 70C for the slice of ham we used to smuggle in to add to our veggie meal....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ON Sunday I bought 8 frankfurters in Lidl/Aldi, cant remember, for €1.59. Then bought 8 hot dog buns for €2 in eurospar. Ate all 8 with robbed sachets of red sauce from burger king, mustard from Eddie Rockets (the actual pack/tube thing) and some cheese I found in the fridge.
    Was very nice, but then I felt very ill afterward. 8 hotdogs will do that. I ruined by budget by drinking 2 bottles of bud on top of it. Ah wells!

Quiche is a tasty cheap dinner. It consists of flour, eggs, butter, onions, cheese and whatever else you decide to throw in. When you break it down with costs per slice it's super cheap.

There are loads of dinners you can do with rice. One of my favourites is rice, stock, onion and toasted almonds. It works out super cheap as well as being super tastey and quite filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

eo980 wrote: »
    Quiche is a tasty cheap dinner. It consists of flour, eggs, butter, onions, cheese and whatever else you decide to throw in. When you break it down with costs per slice it's super cheap.

There are loads of dinners you can do with rice. One of my favourites is rice, stock, onion and toasted almonds. It works out super cheap as well as being super tastey and quite filling.

Easy up Oliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

2 dollars remaining.

1 loaf of bread $1

Was in a similiar situation. I went down the pasta and beans route though.

Hate noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Tesco Pasta is 79c and stir ins are quite cheap too.

That's dinner for less than €2.

Value penne pasta is less than half that. Add some value tinned tomatoes, seasoning and cheese, sorted. A tin of tuna tossed in the pot with a packet of proper ramen with the multiple flavour packets is great, spring onions are a nice addition if the budget allows.

• Advertisement

Right, just maxed out my thriftyness!!

3 weetabix (bought a box of 72 with 50% free in Aldi)
    Used UHT milk I aquired from hotels I stay in (Still have around 100 left!)
    Had some biscuits and Jam that I acquired at a hotel conference last week in my laptop bag

Woohoo! Skankiest meal ever! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Where are you buying asparagus for that price?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I had a free gaf for a few weeks, so i went to tescos and decided to buy the largest amount of cheap food. I came back with loads of food! Plenty of tesco value food, but theres other cheap food thats not tesco value too. The only thing i didn't enjoy was the sausage and beans together in a tin, but a load of brown sauce sorts that out! I would be the bear grylls of the homeless people if i had to live on the streets. :D

antodeco wrote: »
    Right, just maxed out my thriftyness!!

3 weetabix (bought a box of 72 with 50% free in Aldi)
    Used UHT milk I aquired from hotels I stay in (Still have around 100 left!)
    Had some biscuits and Jam that I acquired at a hotel conference last week in my laptop bag

Woohoo! Skankiest meal ever! :D

You have brought shame upon this thread.

Lots of sugar covers it! :p

Seonad wrote: »
    Where are you buying asparagus for that price?:eek:

It is a super six special this week in Aldi.

• Advertisement

It is a super six special this week in Aldi.

Woohoo, I shall be out there with my sleeping bag! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Christ the Tesco value food is utter sh1te. Noodles @ 12c.... Muck!!!! And the value meals are far from because there's sweet fcuk all in them. All Tesco's good for is toilet roll TBH.

stepbar wrote: »
    Christ the Tesco value food is utter sh1te. Noodles @ 12c.... Muck!!!! And the value meals are far from because there's sweet fcuk all in them. All Tesco's good for is toilet roll TBH.

Aldi/Lidl Jax roll FTW

Dont buy their noodles though. Man, theyre manky!!

stepbar wrote: »

You mistyped sandpaper there.

It does the job, it does the job :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, you just made me snort out my cup of cheap ass soup made of vegetable boullion with tabasco sauce from laughter. Waste of good cheap food that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Bowl of porridge

Price = I dont know but cheep like 10 cent if you use water

Thanks, you just made me snort out my cup of cheap ass soup made of vegetable boullion with tabasco sauce from laughter. Waste of good cheap food that!

Re-use it! Snot adds a sweetness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Aldi/Lidl Jax roll FTW

Dont buy their noodles though. Man, theyre manky!!

Nothing a bit of brown sauce cant fix...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ross_Mahon wrote: »

Brown sauce is only for cups of tea

Re-use it! Snot adds a sweetness! :D

I squeezed it back out of the carpet, now I've got extra fibre in my diet.

Jax roll and brown sauce. The linkage is too close!! :pac:

Remember that scene out of Transmission.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

someone should sticky this in the college section

After seeing the advert on TV I tried this sainsbury's recipe and it's tasty:
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/family/tasty+ideas/feed_family_for_a_fiver/meal_ideas/meatballs_n_more.htm

I used more expensive mince but you can get cheap mince in tesco's and aldi. It's good for about 5 portions and works out quite cheap when you break it down per portion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement