Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby magpies hurt(i think) near my house ...

Options
  • 14-05-2008 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

its like on the ground near some trees , quite big ,size of adult, but a woman passing thougt it was a baby ??
    i could nt see the legs .. maybe broken ? and it was just "fluffed" up .. on the ground ....
    what should i do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

hel_hev wrote: »
    its like on the ground near some trees , quite big ,size of adult, but a woman passing thougt it was a baby ??
    i could nt see the legs .. maybe broken ? and it was just "fluffed" up .. on the ground ....
    what should i do ?

Just leave them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its "like" on the ground or actually is on the ground? :D

Leave it.. nothing you ca do. If its a baby it will not survive without its mother and the mother will go nowhere near it if a human has been at it. Probably already the case.

hel_hev wrote: »
    , quite big ,size of adult, but a woman passing thougt it was a baby ??
    i

Just a point of reference. "baby" (I hate that term) birds are, in alomost all species, full size when they fledge. The plumage may differ but the size rarely does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Saruman wrote: »
    Its "like" on the ground or actually is on the ground? :D

Leave it.. nothing you ca do. If its a baby it will not survive without its mother and the mother will go nowhere near it if a human has been at it. Probably already the case.

I disagree,

most yound birds eventuually get too big for the nest and fall or stumble out in the the big bad world like this and once left alone the parents will still come and help feed it even though it't not got the security of the nest anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

My advice is would be to pick it up, "put it to sleep" and dispose of it. And no, in case of a magpie that isn't an illegal action to take. Ireland would be a better place for other wild birds if we had a couple of hundred thousand less magpies.

• Advertisement

My advice is would be to pick it up, "put it to sleep" and dispose of it. And no, in case of a magpie that isn't an illegal action to take. Ireland would be a better place for other wild birds if we had a couple of hundred thousand less magpies.
    Stevie,
    I don't want to drag this off topic and get in to the old Magpie debate, but I would suggest you have a read at some of the RSPB and BTO research papers on the correlation between Magpir and Songbird populations. Not all are available on-line but if you contact them they may sent them out to you. It's interesting reading and I found it changed my views, as I too had thought Magpies should be wiped off the planet for the sake of our other bird species.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i would leave im. magpies are vermin. you'l be doing other birds a favour!

Stevie,
    I don't want to drag this off topic and get in to the old Magpie debate, but I would suggest you have a read at some of the RSPB and BTO research papers on the correlation between Magpir and Songbird populations. Not all are available on-line but if you contact them they may sent them out to you. It's interesting reading and I found it changed my views, as I too had thought Magpies should be wiped off the planet for the sake of our other bird species.

By no means do I want to see them exterminated, they have their place in the wider scale of bird life but a good few less wouldn't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

Saying that an animal is a pest and therefore has less of a right to live than any other is ridiculous. Regardless of the animal's status as a pest it still feels pain just as badly as any other vertebrate animal.

The argument that there are too many of them in the wild anyway doesn't hold water either. Domestic dogs and cats are much larger threats to wildlife than magpies and there are hundreds of thousands of them in this country. I don't think that anyone would agree that you should cull a puppy or a kitten just because you'll probably be doing the wildlife a favour.

I would take the bird in and hand rear it until it gets better. I've done this myself with many species and while it usually only has a 60% success rate at best it's certainly better than leaving the animal there to die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

stevoman wrote: »
    i would leave im. magpies are vermin. you'l be doing other birds a favour!
    Magpies are cute and one of my favourite birds I believe you can train them to talk if you get them young enough. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Magpies are cute and one of my favourite birds I believe you can train them to talk if you get them young enough. :)

They also peck the eyes out of newly born lambs and raid nests of other species.

togster wrote: »
    They also peck the eyes out of newly born lambs and raid nests of other species.
    :eek: Bold birds!! Thats nature, I am sure man has done alott worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

togster wrote: »

*gasp* Imagine a predatory bird eating other animals! The horror!

What exactly do dogs do to lambs and the nests of ground-nesting birds? Eat them maybe? I don't see anyone calling for their blood.

Predatory animals will always eat other animals, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

What exactly do dogs do to lambs and the nests of ground-nesting birds? Eat them maybe? I don't see anyone calling for their blood.

Perhaps you have been living under a rock and never heard of anywhon hunt a fox for this reason........ :confused:

I think the Mods should lock this thread as the original question has been answered and it is now not only going very off topic but also into the old Hunting debate.

I think people should be more concerned about pigeons being vermin than Magpies. These disease carrying rats with wings plague every city in the world. Magpies are cleaver and don't bother us in the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

[QUOTE=spookymuffin;55977563
    Predatory animals will always eat other animals, get over it.[/QUOTE]

Quite a simplistic opinion on the eco-system there. Noone is disputing the fact that predatory animals hunt prey. I learned that in primary school. But thanks for the insight. Im talking about species which because of large numbers are detrimental to other species. Noone is talking about killing all the magpies but unfortunatley because of mans interferance in the natural environment we have to control the scales, in order to prevent species being exterminated.

You have a point about the urban ferile pigeons being a right pain in the neck. As long as they're around I don't see pest control companies going to the wall any time soon... .

Magpies are crazy :D

I have seen a gang of them do the exact same to a fox near Dunlaoghaire in broad day light, the noise from them was something else. Magpies have a very good sense of humor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement