Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basics of betting

Options
  • 14-05-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I have an interview for Paddy Power tomorrow and I need to know at least something about betting, so could anyone give me just the basic keywords of betting, and what they mean of course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

You have a two horse race. Horse A v Horse B. For this instance, they have the same chance of winning the race. That would equate to a 50:50 chance for each horse or in betting parlance even (1/1) money each of two. i.e. €1 on each you would get €2 back on the winner €1 win and €1 return of winning bet but you would have lost €1 on the losing horse, so in effect you cant lose but the bookmaker offering you the odds could not realistically win on the race unless he took a stance and laid Horse a for a bigger sum than horse B and hoped horse b won.
    Where the bookmaker makes his money without such risk is by taking a percentage of 50:50 so instead of laying 50 for fifty he will lay 50 but at a cost to the backer of 54. Odds wise he will offer 5/6 on each of horse a and b. Therefore you might fancy horse a and back him €6 to win €5 but I fancy horse b and I back him €6 to win €5. The bookmaker has taken in €12 in bets but only has to pay out €11 giving him a win of €1 on every €12 taken (if all bets were equal)

Advertisement