Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software for creating Web pages

Options
  • 14-05-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi

Mods please move if I should post in another section.

I'm looking for a software for creating web pages, something easy to use but with good features.

I'm using Netobjects 9 (free copy I got with a PC magazine) and does the job but don't like the styles included.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Best free one imo would be Visual Web Developer Express 2008 but it doesn't have templates if that what you mean by not liking the styles of your current software. VWD 2008 is essentially geared towards asp.net development but theres no reason any web dev can't make use of the css functionality, formatting, design/html/split modes and the standards/accessibility checks it does for you and with just plain html files.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

Just use Wordpress dude!

www.wordpress.org

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

nava wrote: »
    Hi

Mods please move if I should post in another section.

I'm looking for a software for creating web pages, something easy to use but with good features.

I'm using Netobjects 9 (free copy I got with a PC magazine) and does the job but don't like the styles included.

Thanks
    What kind of pages are you looking to create? A simple, static site? An online shop? An amalgamation of various types?
    leonvquinn wrote: »
    Just use Wordpress dude!

www.wordpress.org
    Er no, not unless the OP is making a weblog (which they might be in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Mainly they are just personal information pages with a photo album, not shop or anything like that. Also will have some extra html code to be added like for counter, mailing list, send to a friend, etc (using the code given by bravenet.com)

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

notepad tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Have you thought about Google Apps? That's an easy way of creating your own page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

Frontpage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Cantab. wrote: »
    Frontpage.

Definitely not, avoid Frontpage like the plague unless you are looking for problems to make your life hell and getting your site done a pain.

You can use something as simple as notepad if you want to learn as you go, or go with something like Wordpress which isnt exaclty website creating software but a good bloging tool with plenty of the features you require plus many more. Id say give Wordpress a look and have a read of some tutorials online if you get stuck and it should suffice for what you want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Cantab. wrote: »
    Frontpage.

level tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Adobe%20Dreamweaver%20CS3%20v9.jpg
    huge for emphasis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Does anybody remember an application called Nesbitts Webedit? It rocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Does anybody remember an application called Nesbitts Webedit? It rocked.
    interface was crap, but the functionality at that time was unbeatable... ww.nesbitts.com now redirects to poetry4kids, the web developers new found passion :(

as for the OP, Dreamweaver ftw. 30 days trials available. In this case, the best software is always the ones you pay dearly for. Web Expression beta is also good imo.

Out of curiousity, are you using the software to enhance your knowledge, or are you using the software because you are doing a project/job/task?

If you're using it to enhance your knowledge, I would recommend notepad to start off, and a few learning books. If you have a specific task, I would recommend a Content Management System like Joomla or Expreesion Engine, which run like software on your website, can be edited through a browser, and don't run on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi all

thanks for the ideas. Took some of them on board and started to look at them.

I tried to install Visual Web Developer Express 2008 but was giving me an error when extracting as I think was trying to extract to a Network Drive. Will need to try again when the drive is off.

Wordpress look very good and will definitely include as part of the website. Only problem was that I'm testing to hosting providers installed it in both (1 free worked ok) 1 paid (Irish but looks like have some problems with permission as is unable to create a database, I'm looking into it)

Adobe CS3 will download and test.

Again thanks for all your help.

Advertisement