Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Lady Owner"

Options
  • 14-05-2008 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Just looking through Carzone and see there are a LOT of ads where the seller has "Lady Owner" in the description. I assume this is to make the car easier to shift but why? I am a "lady owner" myself and all my fellow lady friends know far less about their cars than their male counterparts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭papillon66

I assume it's due to the fact that women drive safely than men and don't push the engine, play with the brakes, the gear while driving...and as we don't know too much about how it works we'll bring it to the garage asap if something is wrong instead of trying to fix it ourself or wait.

I suppose with the "lady owner" it's kinda a guarantee that the car is in good shape and that no one played with it-

I believe that might be a common idea...not sure if it always true though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

definately not through, the previous owner of my car was a lady and thanks to her ham fisted-ness 4th gear is crunching! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭papillon66

draffodx wrote: »
    definately not through, the previous owner of my car was a lady and thanks to her ham fisted-ness 4th gear is crunching! :rolleyes:

That's might be because she never used it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

women drive slower and more respectfull to the car apparently! But then factro in all the bumps from attempted parking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

papillon66 wrote: »
    I assume it's due to the fact that women drive safely than men and don't push the engine, play with the brakes, the gear while driving...and as we don't know too much about how it works we'll bring it to the garage asap if something is wrong instead of trying to fix it ourself or wait.

I suppose with the "lady owner" it's kinda a guarantee that the car is in good shape and that no one played with it-

I believe that might be a common idea...not sure if it always true though;)

I'm a 'lady owner' too. I drive sh1te out of my car and I don't care too much what gear it's in. It's nice to get them little wheels spinning at the traffic lights :) So does my sister. I would never buy a car from an ad saying 'lady owner' as they don't know or DON'T CARE how they are driving!

p.s. I know 10x more technical stuff about cars/bikes than my bf does :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's just to let you know in advance that it'll need a clutch so you can haggle that off the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damn you, damn you to hell! That was gonna be my line! :pac:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »
    Damn you, damn you to hell! That was gonna be my line! :pac:

Mike.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I can see where you're coming from on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

ever ring up about a "lady owner" car and some dude answers - I have in the past enjoyed giving them stick over that. them claiming it's the missus or teh daughters car. lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's just to let you know in advance that it'll need a clutch so you can haggle that off the price.

LOL, and also that the indicators and accelerator will be in perfect brand new unused condition!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I always have a laugh at "lady owner" adverts, considering most women, mess up clutch, don't miss a single bump on the road(not even slowing down), scratch cars up in parking lots, and generally just don't look after cars until the car stops.

I much prefer to buy a car from a man that likes cars and maintained a car, maybe drove fast, but you can be sure the car will be in a better condition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

papillon66 wrote: »
    I assume it's due to the fact that women drive safely than men and don't push the engine, ;)
    timmywex wrote: »
    women drive slower and more respectfull to the car apparently!

Tell that to my OH, Michelle Scuhmacher crossed with Gordon Ramsay....
    Any time I'm a passenger, it's white knuckles hanging on to the door handle.
    j@utis wrote: »
    I'm a 'lady owner' too. I drive sh1te out of my car and I don't care too much what gear it's in. It's nice to get them little wheels spinning at the traffic lights :) So does my sister. I would never buy a car from an ad saying 'lady owner' as they don't know or DON'T CARE how they are driving!

Winner!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

One of the best I've seen was in the damage repairable section of the buy and sell some time back. In the same add contained the words "light frontal impact" and "one careful lady owner".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

It goes along with "1 careful owner"; the ad just doesn't mention the 2 not very careful ones!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

At the end of the day the lady drivers are as bad as the male drivers.

Just because it says lady owner WTF does that mean.

Its means it got little or no driving - to the school and back or the shops. :mad:

Its means lots of cold starts and hard driving (with the weight of all the kids in the back). :rolleyes:

Women dont know there way around the engine bay, so when the windscreen resevoir runs out you can see them pouring the half bottle of coke over the windscreen at 100kmp :D

Women cant even fill the bloody car with fuel, and i hate this. I see this alot where a woman will wait and wait and wait for a young lad to come out and fill the car for her. :confused:

My GF is a very good driver and put most lady drivers to shame she rocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd be put off buying a car if it had lady owner on the description.

EVERY female I know has had some sort of bumb, scratch, crash in their car.

They hardly ever wash them either, from what I can see men take MUCH better care than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Id also like to refute this 'all wimmen are bad with cars' tar brush!

I look after my car very well, Im really conscious about where i park so as to avoid car door bumps, dont go near tesco car park or any such other place where parking is tight (if i have to go there, i park in the taxi rank (there are no taxis in ros)) I always parallel park, never mount the kerb and my alloys are also pretty much markless.

My car has been sponge washed since i bought it and while i dont hoover it EVERY week, i do it about once a month and the interior is in equally as good a nick as the outside.

I dont sit in and turn the key either, i wait till all the relavent lights are gone off on the dash. The BF checks the oil for me around once a month, i know how to do it myself if the need arises but i let him do it to save me getting dirty. My clutch is going great and the only gear that is a bit sticky is reverse, instead of dogging it i slip it into first, then reverse and it goes in no bother and i ALWAYS go out of my way to avoid potholes and rough patches of road!!!

I dont drive like a granny, i would call myself a confident, careful and alert driver.

Not all wimmen are clueless ;) I did put 'lady owner' in my add, but mostly because i didn't want people to think my car was owned by a boy racer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

j@utis wrote: »

p.s. I know 10x more technical stuff about cars/bikes than my bf does :p
    I think I love you! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'd put no stock in it either - I don't care who drove the car, I care about it's condition. There are lots of men and women abusing their cars in different ways. If it's straight and clean I don't car if it was driven by man or woman, nun or carpenter (no car salesmen though, they drive like lunatics :p).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I think this is rather appropriate :D :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

In my opinion the men out there who has a thing about women driving, are the bullies on our roads.
    Males are more likely to Drink and Drive therefore cause more accidents. What does that tell you!!!
    Here are the statistics taken from Central Statistics office and garda Annual Report.:

Crime

All relate to 2005 unless otherwise stated.
    • Average daily number of Prisoners in Custody (2004): 3,199
    • Murders: 54
    • Burglary: 25,963
    • Burglary/Robbery involving a firearm: 353
    • Car Thefts: 13,148
    • Rape/Sexual Assault: 458
    • Drug Related Offences: 9,595 (65% Cannabis related)
    • Untraced Missing Persons: 75
    • Convictions for Drunk Driving: 4,140 (91% male)

tiredmam wrote: »

Crime

relevance?

In my opinion the men out there who has a thing about women driving, are the bullies on our roads.
    Males are more likely to Drink and Drive therefore cause more accidents. What does that tell you!!!
    Here are the statistics taken from Central Statistics office and garda Annual Report.:

Crime

The bit there at the bottom about drunk driving :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Just looking through Carzone and see there are a LOT of ads where the seller has "Lady Owner" in the description. I assume this is to make the car easier to shift but why? I am a "lady owner" myself and all my fellow lady friends know far less about their cars than their male counterparts.

its for all the idiots who think its great, although it comes a close second to elderly owner.............yes thats good they cant change gear, 30,000kms of red line fun in 1st happy days:D
    not to mention the fact most dont know anything about servicing, oil levels, etc etc............

when i see elderly or lady owner i run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Crime

apart from theft and murder the rest isnt a proper reflection.

wonder how many of those drink driving men had their equally langered wife beside them??
    rapes...not many men are going to report being raped by a woman.....in fact most of the time its welcomed:D
    drug related.............take a walk down marlboro street, plenty of junked up females there, some even pregnant.

and in anyways men cant flash some boobs or get the garda all sweetend up:D dont tell me it doesnt happen...ive seen it happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The bit there at the bottom about drunk driving :(

Do you think anyone cares whether the car they buy was previously driven by someone caught drink driving :confused:

Here are the reasons I would never buy a car off a woman:

1. They have no appreciation for the need for an engine to warm up. Any woman driver I know drives the stones out of their car from cold.

2. Women drive their cars everywhere in second gear. My mother doesnt even know what 5th gear is id say. Id prefer a fella to drive at 90mph in fifth gear on hte motorway than 60mph in 3-4th gear as some women I know do.

3. Women for the most part have no technical knowledge of cars. That means oil goes unchecked, engine lights get ignored and suspension knocks are confused with the groceries bouncing around in the boot.

In fact id go as far as to say id buy my car on the condition of the seller as much as the car if you get my drift!

cpoh1 wrote: »
    1. They have no appreciation for the need for an engine to warm up. Any woman driver I know drives the stones out of their car from cold.

2. Women drive their cars everywhere in second gear. My mother doesnt even know what 5th gear is id say. Id prefer a fella to drive at 90mph in fifth gear on hte motorway than 60mph in 3-4th gear as some women I know do.

3. Women for the most part have no technical knowledge of cars. That means oil goes unchecked, engine lights get ignored and suspension knocks are confused with the groceries bouncing around in the boot.
    1. men do this also!
    2. men do this also!
    3. same again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

kbannon wrote: »
    1. men do this also!
    2. men do this also!
    3. same again!

Some men pee sitting down too but far less so than women, the same applies to above :D

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    apart from theft and murder the rest isnt a proper reflection.

wonder how many of those drink driving men had their equally langered wife beside them??
    rapes...not many men are going to report being raped by a woman.....in fact most of the time its welcomed:D
    drug related.............take a walk down marlboro street, plenty of junked up females there, some even pregnant.

and in anyways men cant flash some boobs or get the garda all sweetend up:D dont tell me it doesnt happen...ive seen it happen!

Pay no attention to the rest, they are statistics i found. Is there a roll your eyes emoticon anywhere???

Advertisement