Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I make a single-speed out of this?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey hey.
    Have an old, sub-par mountain bike that is just sitting there since i got a road bike, and i got to thinking that it might be possible to make it into a fixie/single speed effort. is this possible, or is it only road-style frames that will work? this is a picture of the bike i have, although not my actual one.
    100_5832.jpg
    anyways, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

can't tell from photo.

it all depends on the dropouts. do they look like this:
    dropf-vert.gif

or this:
    dropf-short.gif

if it's the latter then you can go fixed or ss pretty easily. if it's the former then not so much - at least not without chain tensioners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

niceonetom wrote: »
    can't tell from photo.

it all depends on the dropouts. do they look like this:
    dropf-vert.gif

or this:
    dropf-short.gif

if it's the latter then you can go fixed or ss pretty easily. if it's the former then not so much - at least not without chain tensioners etc.

cheap bikes like that have the last drop out, although youd be better off buying a better base, it will be better for the longrun.

id just take the rear mech off and use the freewheel with a shorter chain, which will be alot cheaper and less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Hey hey.
    Have an old, sub-par mountain bike

My girlf. had the exact same bike before it was nicked from her apartment complex about a month ago. It weighed a ton and was big and sluggish and generally horrible. I cant remember what way the dropouts were, but really, I wouldnt bother changing it into a fixie, it wouldnt be pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I considered the same option for a mtb with vertical dropouts. Simplest and cheapest would be to get a chain tensioner and run it as a single speed. Fixed is not an option if you go this route.

You could use an eccentric hub, but it's a costly option for an old mtb in my opinion. In the end I found a cheap frame with horizontal dropouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

thanks all, i appreciate it. yeah, it's a lump of a yoke all right, was just an idea. real heavy but took an amount of abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

thanks all, i appreciate it. yeah, it's a lump of a yoke all right, was just an idea. real heavy but took an amount of abuse.

Is it beyond use? Could you keep it as a throwaway bike- I have one that I use if I know I'm going to have to leave it in town overnight. If drunks decide to party on its wheels I really don't care.

Advertisement