Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vatican says Aliens could exist

• 14-05-2008 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Theres alreasy a thread in Christianity but there wont be the classic After Hours replies over there!
    The Pope's chief astronomer says that life on Mars cannot be ruled out.

Writing in the Vatican newspaper, the astronomer, Father Gabriel Funes, said intelligent beings created by God could exist in outer space.

Father Funes, director of the Vatican Observatory near Rome, is a respected scientist who collaborates with universities around the world.

The search for forms of extraterrestrial life, he says, does not contradict belief in God.

The official Vatican newspaper headlines his article 'Aliens Are My Brother'.

Reminds me of that Bishop from Father Ted :D

Full Story BBC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hedging their bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Vatican in lunacy claim shocker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I suppose they're Catholic too?

F*cking arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they said they didnt know anything about child abuse too...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭sidneykidney

Next thing you know they be asking us to accept that there priests werent kiddy fiddlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

how do aliens interfer with the idea of a catholic god

I should probably pose that question in chritianity but they all scare me ov there trying to force their god on me.

My god is better than theres and they cant handle the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Gordon wrote: »
    Hedging their bets.

Indeed.

It will be funny if we do indeed discover extraterrestrial life, cos the Catholic Church will have to explain things like why Jesus appeared on earth rather than Mars, are Martians going to hell even though they didn't get an opportunity to worship Jesus, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

So South Park were right.

Damn you fudgemonkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Indeed.

It will be funny if we do indeed discover extraterrestrial life, cos the Catholic Church will have to explain things like why Jesus appeared on earth rather than Mars, are Martians going to hell even though they didn't get an opportunity to worship Jesus, etc.
    They will most likely form a strategic alliance with some alien religion saying they're the one and the same, maybe ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Irish Halo wrote: »
    They will most likely form a strategic alliance with some alien religion saying they're the one and the same, maybe ...

More likely more intelligent beings than us would have no religion or would set about converting us to whatever religion they do have while wondering if humans are going to hell because xebus didn't appear on Earth.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Oh my god!! Mars is an anagram of Arms!! Jesus had arms!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Irish Halo wrote: »

They already did that.

http://scotteriology.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/lackoffaith.jpg

http://frafilm.blog.kataweb.it/files/2007/10/pope_palpatine.jpg

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/01/popepalpatine.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I was molested by a marsian dressed as a priest.

Or was that a priest dressed as a martian.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Fair enough ... aliens might exist ... grand.

What I want to know, is do Jedis exist ? Well ... Mr Vatican? Do they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Xenu is my homeboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Xenu is my homeboy
    Mace Windu is mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

they're trying to steal all of science!

first they plan to celebrate charles darwin (yes, the catholic church) and now they search for ET

they're trying to steal all of science!

first they plan to celebrate charles darwin (yes, the catholic church) and now they search for ET

Evening Telegraph???? :confused:

Thought they'd be more of a Times Reader being honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

'Aliens Are My Brother' - rofl

Did they have a stance on Aliens until now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

The Vatican hung people who believed the world wasn't flat.
    They then tried to hang someone who said the earth actually revolved around the sun.
    This behavior went on for quite a while.

I think they're being quite liberal on this one actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Sure "God" is an Alien anyway. He's not from Earth is he?

Read what happened to Mary, totally the same as a modern day abduction story. Jesus was a half human - half alien hybrid.

Yeah that and that star in the night was no feckin star.
    :pac:

All jokes aside though all that makes about a billion* times more sense then what they believe, and is a billion times more probable too.

& remember kids a billion aint that big a number when you take into consideration the entire freaking UNIVERSE!

haha:D

**edit**

Strangely enough, this is post number 666 for me...

Look at Zeitgest!! Its all about space!!

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    Sure "God" is .........haha:D

That was post #666 - you're screwed......:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

antodeco wrote: »
    Oh my god!! Mars is an anagram of Arms!! Jesus had arms!!!
    Holy ****! God is dog backwards. So, if all dogs go to heaven, they must be gathering troops to take heaven back from the antidog!

I for one welcome our... ah forget it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

trout wrote: »

Most valid question I've seen all day.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Most valid question I've seen all day.

The farts farce is strong in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

nothing those vatican types say counts for anything sure they believe in all sorts of nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Holy ****! God is dog backwards. So, if all dogs go to heaven, they must be gathering troops to take heaven back from the antidog!

I for one welcome our... ah forget it

And a binary star system called Sirius is one of our closest neighbours in space. Sirius is also known as the Dog Star. Clearly this is where the alien homeworld can be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

A civilisation consisting solely of dogs?

I for one welcome our new canine overlords... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Read about this in the paper today.

He goes on to clarify that Jesus would not have appeared to the aliens because his redemption of our sins and resurrection etc were a unique event blah blah

....................Riiight

So You don't know if aliens actually exist and you don't really know that Jesus existed as the son of god but you have faith he did but you do know that if they both did in fact exist, that you are sure we were the chosen ones and it would only be us who would be visited by Jesus.

God told you this did he?

Even the the most rational Catholic clergy which the Jesuit Vatican scientists and astronomers are renown to be.......well they're still bat sh!t crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

To think theyre also considering plans to introduce a Vatican credit card....perhaps the aliens will endorse them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

trout wrote: »

yes. or rather they did exist. in the form of samurai. that was what Lucas based his story on was it not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Wasn't there an AH thread recently saying that NASA is set to make an announcement telling us that they've found something big that they've been looking for for 50 years?

Maybe they were nice enough to give the vatican the heads-up so there's no chaos when they announce that they found alien replicons from beyond the moon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

god sent his son jesus to earths inhabitants ove 2000 years ago to send us messages of respect and love etc, and died so we could be accepted back into heaven

could well be aliens werent on a ban.

as much as god etc sounds out of this world, it would be nice to respect others beliefs , some have faith some dont.

I am not a man of faith, or god, but i respect those that are.

I'm also not one for believing that there is life anywhere else, and if there is, it wont be found in my lifetime i dont believe.

and if it is found, by most likely the americans, id shutter to think the consequencies of it all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fremen wrote: »
    Wasn't there an AH thread recently saying that NASA is set to make an announcement telling us that they've found something big that they've been looking for for 50 years?
    I suspect that might be Dubyah's brain, tbh ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I see blockbuster gold here.

"The Mission to Mars"

Starring Jeremy Irons as a Spanish Jesuit who is selected to lead the first manned mission to Mars. Robert DeNiro plays a slave hunter who is converted and joins Irons in his mission.

Father Gabriel ascends the mountains of Mars to bring christianity to the natives. He is successful and brings about a golden age among them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

marco_polo wrote: »
    I see blockbuster gold here.

"The Mission to Mars"

Starring Jeremy Irons as a Spanish Jesuit who is selected to lead the first manned mission to Mars. Robert DeNiro plays a slave hunter who is converted and joins Irons in his mission.

Father Gabriel ascends the mountains of Mars to bring christianity to the natives. He is successful and brings about a golden age among them.

And Jean-Michel Jarre doign a futuristic version of "Gabriel's Oboe"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    And Jean-Michel Jarre doign a futuristic version of "Gabriel's Oboe"?

I nominate Luc 'Fifth Element' Besson to direct. (No fupin' Chris Tucker though :p)

• Advertisement
Advertisement