Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Is Being Caught by the Gaurds the only way to recieve Penalty Points for Offenses other than speeding?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Depends on the situation... why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭carlostevez90

Well How Else Could you be caught?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If a guard was on an emergancy call and saw you running a red for instance, they can take your details and get you later.

Yeah But Thats Still a Garda, If Theres no Gardai around like? we were talking about it in School. So i just wanna know?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Well How Else Could you be caught?

well if a speed tax scamera flashes you, theres no guard pulling you over but you could most likely get the fine and points notice in the post.

i know this is for speeding but its the only example i can think of right now :o.

• Advertisement

Well.. What Happened Was (Apparently)
    A Lad in My Class is on his 1st Learners and went through a Red, a Garda car was pulled in at the other side of the Junction and Pulled Him In..
    Had There have been no Gardai There, What would have Happened Him?...

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Blarney92

Well.. What Happened Was (Apparently)
    A Lad in My Class is on his 1st Learners and went through a Red, a Garda car was pulled in at the other side of the Junction and Pulled Him In..
    Had There have been no Gardai There, What would have Happened Him?...

Probably would have crashed into oncoming traffic, killed a few pedestrians or got away scott free....

He said it was clear. and he got straight through. im not talking about the ethics or dangers, im purely interested in the fine/points aspect he could have faced

Probably could get into sh*t for dangerous driving, 2 points or something maybe and a fine. Depends so much on the guard. Could even have brought up the driving on his own on a 1st licence depending on the mood the guard was in.....

So what did the guard do??

He got 2 points and an 80 quid fine...hes an awful driver too so its well deserved.. bootin round in his ma's micra with "da boyz"

what we wanna know is, is being caught by the gardai the only way you can be punished for running a red light??

• Advertisement

I'd say so- guards are the only ones with the authority to do anything. i'm pretty sure if someone else reported it then it would just be a case of their word against his. No proof!!

and they have no cameras for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I think you need to tell us exactlty what is going on or what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think the OP is probably asking about SWIM, and also is a bit obsessive. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289543

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Basically some chap got stung by a Guard running a red light and got 2 points and 80e fine. The OP wants to know if there wasn't a guard there could he have been caught eg by a camera or something? Is that correct?

Some traffic lights in Dublin and other big towns hae cameras attached to them and are monitored so he could be reported to the gardai by the camera operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is this like one of those:

"If a tree falls in a forest & no one is there, does it make a sound?"

type questions.

I think a Garda or a camera are the only ways of being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,316 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say you would have a fair chance of being convicted if there was a credible witness who was prepared to testify.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement