Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics and Finance

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I really need some help!
    Im writing my Leaving Cert. in June but I still don't know what college course I want to do!
    I have Economics and Finance in UCD as my no.1 but im not sure if its the right choice for me. I really like maths and accounting at the moment but I don't do economics so I dont know if that will be a problem?
    Also, I heard this course is quite tough and while im capable for most things im not an all As student!
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who is doing/has done this course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 slevins

red4life wrote: »
    Im writing my Leaving Cert. in June but I still don't know what college course I want to do!
    I have Economics and Finance in UCD as my no.1 but im not sure if its the right choice for me. I really like maths and accounting at the moment but I don't do economics so I dont know if that will be a problem?
    Also, I heard this course is quite tough and while im capable for most things im not an all As student!
    Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone who is doing/has done this course.
    Only one of my friends is doing this, and he's got a GPA of like 4.1 atm, ridiculous I know. As I'm doing economics I can tell you not doing economics in secondary school shouldn't hold you back, it only helps marginally. As economics will only be a minor for you, you'll be doing Micro and Macro every year and as far as I know you have one economics elective (which is, you choose a module from the course curriculum). Hope this helps http://www.ucd.ie/quinnschool/bscef.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 red4life

Hey thanks for that, I really wasn't sure if I needed economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I finished it in 2007. If you're an a1 maths student you'll have no problems at all. Leaving Cert Econ isn't needed for the course, I didn't do it.
    Yes, a lot of people get firsts in the course. Dunno about all this GPA stuff, but a first is over 70%.

PM me if you want more info, or ask here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hansman

red4life wrote: »

Hey, I'm in Economics and Finance and love it. I would definitely say that the modules we do are of a more advanced level than the other Quinn courses (commerce and BnL). I've just finished 2nd year and we've done a few modules with final year students from those degrees. However, I think this course is great to do well in if you have an interest in the subjects. It's a nicely focused course. Many of my friends studying Commerce get really frustrated because they have to study such a wide range of subjects, many of which they have no interest in. This can make it quite tough to do well in.

The GPAs in my class are really high and would definately average out as much greater than any other business course I know. A lot of people find the maths challenging but do very well in the exams at the end of the year.

I didn't do economics for the leaving either and it hasn't been a problem at all. People who did study it for the LC may even be at a disadvantage because they rely on this knowledge to get them through and I've heard it isn't very relevant! The economics modules aren't very challenging and you do some nice introductory ones in first year.

If you have an interest in maths and accounting I would say the course would be great for you. One disadvantage, however, is that if you want to study accountancy afterwards you won't get as many exemptions for the exams than you would with Commerce. I also don't think you can do the course in Smurfit as we don't have enough accountancy modules. Hope this helps.

hansman wrote: »
    One disadvantage, however, is that if you want to study accountancy afterwards you won't get as many exemptions for the exams than you would with Commerce. I also don't think you can do the course in Smurfit as we don't have enough accountancy modules. Hope this helps.

Not true, a girl from my year is in the M.Acc at the moment. I think she had to get a first to get in though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hansman

Maybe it's changed since your year graduated. Two guys in my year said they were told they couldn't apply! It's very harsh as I think our course gives students very good analytical and quantitative skills even if we don't do all the accountancy modules (we don't do financial accounting 2 and 3 and management accounting). We did taxation with the commerce final years this year and the lecturer said the ec and fi results usually outperform commerce.

We did taxation with the commerce final years this year and the lecturer said the ec and fi results usually outperform commerce.

Ec and Fi outperform pretty much all the rest of the class in the classes they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 red4life

Thanks a million everyone, all the info really helps.
    I think I will stick to it as my No.1 now, it seems like a rewarding course.
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Pythia wrote: »
    Not true, a girl from my year is in the M.Acc at the moment. I think she had to get a first to get in though.

Defo cant do accounting unless you've done financial acc 1 (which we do), tax (which we do) but you have to have done management accounting and financial accounting 2 to get into the M acc in smurfit. So technically it is possible if you choose them as electives.

"People who did study it for the LC may even be at a disadvantage because they rely on this knowledge to get them through and I've heard it isn't very relevant! The economics modules aren't very challenging and you do some nice introductory ones in first year." - this is very very true, aka macro for me this semester and id say ill be pretty close to failing it!

Sure what would hansman know? He only has a meagre GPA of 4!

maxi-twist wrote: »
    Defo cant do accounting unless you've done financial acc 1 (which we do), tax (which we do) but you have to have done management accounting and financial accounting 2 to get into the M acc in smurfit. So technically it is possible if you choose them as electives.

I 100% know she didn't choose them electives as we weren't able to choose electives.
    So Smurfit must have changed the rules this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 nellybelly

In general, Smurfit's admission rules are..em, flexible.

On the ec & fi question, I would also recommend the course, however it has changed a bit since i did it. I would guess the most important prerequisites are an interest in, and aptitude for, the more maths-y side of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

There is more to life than becoming an accountant. If maths lights your bulb then do the MSc in Quantitative Finance or the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit and get an interesting job instead. :)

graduate wrote: »
    There is more to life than becoming an accountant. If maths lights your bulb then do the MSc in Quantitative Finance or the MSc in Business Analytics in Smurfit and get an interesting job instead. :)

Absolutely. I'd say in fact, if accounting interests you most a B.Comm would be better. Those Masters you mentioned look nice! V pricey though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Pythia wrote: »
    I 100% know she didn't choose them electives as we weren't able to choose electives.
    So Smurfit must have changed the rules this year.

Aye they changed them this year. They said they'd be lenient to those who were in 2nd and 1st year and wanted to do accounting tho.

When i went to the smurfit open day i was told not to go near a masters this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

V pricey though

The Business Analytics MSc which replaces the Management Science is subsidised and is only €1700 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Pepsi-Punk

Hey, I'm in Economics and Finance and love it. I would definitely say that the modules we do are of a more advanced level than the other Quinn courses (commerce and BnL). I've just finished 2nd year and we've done a few modules with final year students from those degrees. However, I think this course is great to do well in if you have an interest in the subjects. It's a nicely focused course. Many of my friends studying Commerce get really frustrated because they have to study such a wide range of subjects, many of which they have no interest in. This can make it quite tough to do well in.

The GPAs in my class are really high and would definately average out as much greater than any other business course I know. A lot of people find the maths challenging but do very well in the exams at the end of the year.

I didn't do economics for the leaving either and it hasn't been a problem at all. People who did study it for the LC may even be at a disadvantage because they rely on this knowledge to get them through and I've heard it isn't very relevant! The economics modules aren't very challenging and you do some nice introductory ones in first year.

If you have an interest in maths and accounting I would say the course would be great for you. One disadvantage, however, is that if you want to study accountancy afterwards you won't get as many exemptions for the exams than you would with Commerce. I also don't think you can do the course in Smurfit as we don't have enough accountancy modules. Hope this helps.

Greetings, been reading your post about the course and trying to decide myself about it. Basically if you're interested in Maths it is a good degree to have yes? What else should i be expecting? Thanks!

Advertisement