Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Small, cheap and reliable car for parents?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

My parent are looking at replacing their current car, a mazda demio (how i'll miss it so much...), and asked me if i knew anything nice.

So far they where at the renault garage and had a look at a scenic (not small but practical i guess) and a clio.

They dont really have a lot of money to spend on a car (4kish), something cheap would be best. Engine size isnt really to important to them as long as it's not to big (1.4 or under i'd imagine), petrol or diesel it doesnt really matter to them either, small size car prob around the same as the demio thats know for being reliable.

Any suggestions?

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stephen365

a great small car to buy is a micra 1.1ltr cheap to run and insure low tax and cheap to service and fix when it breaks down which is rare, bought one a few years ago still on the road,a sister has it now, never given a problem,should get one in great condition for 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think a Micra might be to small, they would probably miss the 2 extra doors the demio had to. (don't think dad likes Micra's from what i remember)

I'll suggest it anyway, keep em comming

Thanks,
    Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The missus had a 00 Scenic( traded it off an 05 new model a few months back). She loved it and it never gave trouble. Plenty of space and very practical. Back seats are individual and can be reclined a fair bit if you only use 2 of them (any or all of them can be removed). The 1.4 was a very popular engine so theres plenty around and it's nippier than you'd think (98bhp iirc)

Had a clio myself that I bought new in 2000 and is still goin strong as my mohers car. Cant fault it and it never let us down. Was a big tep up in comforble and driveability from the missus old 99 micra.

jozi wrote: »
    I think a Micra might be to small, they would probably miss the 2 extra doors the demio had to. (don't think dad likes Micra's from what i remember)

Plenty of 5 door micras about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What about the Mazda2?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hows about a Mazda 323f?

they're great value and very well built.

323f-bk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was going to suggest a Honda Jazz but the cheapest one I could find was outside of your budget:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Jazz/1.4/1048569/

I'm sure the Demio and €4k would bag the Jazz, nice find bazz, didn't think a Jazz could be had for that kinda money (forget how long they've been around)

Also consider a Mitsubishi Space Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'm sure the Demio and €4k would bag the Jazz, nice find bazz, didn't think a Jazz could be had for that kinda money (forget how long they've been around)

Also consider a Mitsubishi Space Star.

Yeah I was surprised myself that they were available in that price range as usually they are commanding silly money. They are actually available since 2001 btw but none on carzone. Great little car though and I would suggest the OP stretch the budget a little to bag one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

bazz26 wrote: »
    Yeah I was surprised myself that they were available in that price range as usually they are commanding silly money. They are actually available since 2001 btw but none on carzone. Great little car though and I would suggest the OP stretch the budget a little to bag one.

Definitely go for the Jazz if you can find one at the right price. I think they're the most practical little car in the world at the moment. Fold down the rear seats and it's cavernous in there like a minivan. Really economical and reliable too. Failing that go for the 323F. There's great value to be had in these and you'll get a very reliable spacious Jap car for surprisingly little money.

Hasn't the Jazz got a reputation for the worst ride quality in the world, especially the early ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was going to suggest a jazz to them then i read E92's post, can others confirm his this claim of terrible ride quality? Can it get worse thou than a demio?

Will also suggest the mazda 323f to them.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions, keep them coming!

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Small and reliable - only one option - Toyota Yaris.
    I asked an AA man recently what cars did he see the most,and he said he wasn't allowed to say, so I asked him what did he see the least, and he said he never had to call out to a Toyota.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How about a Skoda Fabia? Generally considered best in class when it entered the market in '00

You can pick up a '00 1.4 16V 100BHP lowish mileage one for around €3k. Well within budget. Bigger than most superminis. Also fuel consumption, tax and insurance of a 1.4l but with 100BHP well capable for a longer drive on our national roads too. Avoid the low-spec ones though!

The Honda Jazz is a good suggestion too. It's likely to be more reliable than the Fabia, but it is smaller and has less power. And it is generally way overpriced in the Irish market imho (like some other cars like a VW Golf 1.4 or any Toyota Yaris) . The ride in the Fabia is much better too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

unkel wrote: »
    How about a Skoda Fabia? Generally considered best in class when it entered the market in '00

You can pick up a '00 1.4 16V 100BHP lowish mileage one for around €3k. Well within budget. Bigger than most superminis. Also fuel consumption, tax and insurance of a 1.4l but with 100BHP well capable for a longer drive on our national roads too. Avoid the low-spec ones though!

The Honda Jazz is a good suggestion too. It's likely to be more reliable than the Fabia, but it is smaller and has less power. And it is generally way overpriced in the Irish market imho (like some other cars like a VW Golf 1.4 or any Toyota Yaris) . The ride in the Fabia is much better too

That would be the 1.4 vw engine. Not really a paragon of relability. My neighbour had a 1.4 octavia and it was constantly giving trouble. I think the yaris is the way to go for someone on a budget. Or what about an early , focus? Drove a 99'estate 1.4 with 86,000 miles last week and it felt like a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

yes the skoda's are good for reliability... not just good, great.
    It makes more sence than the yaris as the costs are less, more space, its a nice enough drive, good value overall

when was the last time anyone here saw a Fabia with the 100bhp engine. they're all all either the aincent MPI engine, or the later 3 cylinder 1.2 model.

Octavia may be good, but it's not in the same league as the Yaris reliability wise.

The 1.4 VAG engine is noted for its (lack of) durability. How are those 1.4 TSI engines going to cope, since they have direct injection, a turbo and possibly a supercharger, all things that can go wrong and very expensive to put right!

The 1.2 Fabia is VERY slow, even in town it requires someone like me driving it i.e. someone with a heavy right foot:D, and there is nothing for the enthusiast to offer in terms of driving pleasure, but it is an otherwise excellent car. Don't get the 55 bhp 6 valve version, not unless you want go at walking pace that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aonoco

In Regards To The Renault And Know Each Persons Own Experience Is Different...would Not Go Near Them...when They Work They Are Great..when Things Go Wrong And They Do..talking Big Money To Fix..something As Basic As A Key Fob Which The Clio And Sceanic Use, Costs €200 To Replace..renault Garage Servicing Is Also Very Expensive..there Is A Reason Second Hand Renaults Are So Cheap With A New Model Megane Going For €4000.

Main Thing To Remember Is Some Great Deals On Second Hand Cars..really Good Deals, It Is A Buyers Market

323f Brillant Car However Many Lack Service History

Yaris Has To Be One Of The Best Cars For Relability And Value I Ever Drove..only Draw Back Would Be 3 Door Small And Seats Not The Best For Long Journey

Would Suggest The Yaris Verso..they Are Generally Cheaper Than The Normal Yaris As Not The Best Looking Car But Get A 1.3 One Of These For Good Money

Worth Checking If Getting A Second Hand Car With That Budget If Timing Belt Has Been Done..job Can Be Expensive, If Not Done Can Have A Car With A Knackered Engine Very Quickly

Yaris And Fabia Use A Chain And Not A Belt- Need To Change It Over Around 80,000 Miles

Best Of Luck With The Search

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    when was the last time anyone here saw a Fabia with the 100bhp engine.

Plenty on carzone.ie ;)

I agree with ya though, I wouldn't recommend the old MPI and certainly not the 3-cylinder. I wouldn't even recommend any of the diesels for this car. The only Fabia I'd recommend would be the 1.4 100BHP petrol.

Advertisement