Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX HDD Upgrade SATA 1TB. Is it possible?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,
    have already successfully completed a 750gb HDD upgrade with the IDE Seagate Barracuda thru a softmodded XBOX, now after spotting new 1TB Samsung HDD sata on sale in Dabs.ie for €130, so I'm just wondering is this possible, first up what SATA to IDE adapter do you recommend and where can I get on, is the one below easy to get?
    http://www.cooldrives.com/native-sata-to-ide-adapter-with-jmicron-chip.html
    Also has anyone used a SATA hdd and have they had any probs with it in their xbox?

I'd like to use IDE but those Seagate 750gb go for €162 and the price difference is very apparent, I do need a large hard drive, of 750 plus.....So any suggestions and directions out there???

We completed the upgrade with some difficulty but the problems were small, we're hoping to start modding our friends old xboxs in the coming months...Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

I have heard of SABRENT SATA-IDE converters but people have had issues with them. The XBOX was not designed for SATA and there have reports of problems from failing DVD drives to XBOX not powering, booting correctly.

If you do go ahead with it you will need to create partition sizes of less than 512GB on F: and G: and then format them using 32K cluster size.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my g/f's brother doesn't have internet access or any kind of home network but he wanted an xbox with XBMC and lots of video put onto a HDD without having to leave a PC turned on all the time, so I got a 500gb freecom NAS for him and plugged that directly into the ethernet port on the xbox and set it up as the default source for media in XBMC.

now all he has to do is turn on the NAS whenever he wants to watch something (he's got to get up to turn the xbox on anyway) and everything is streamed over ethernet directly from the NAS as if it was stored locally.

i know it's not internal and you'd have to look for a 1tb NAS instead of a 500gb one (you can get them) but if you're just going to use it for video/music anyway there's no reason why it HAS to be internal anyway. I don't know if it would even be possible to use 1tb just for game rips anyway, I doubt there's 1tb of games out there for the xbox worth keeping permanently on the HDD. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Superb idea, kinda jealous i didnt think of it:pac:

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yes a NAS works really well with XBMC for videos and music alright.
    Won't work for games though, they have to on the internal HDD.

yeah, I have to say it works great too, didn't even need to configure either device at all as both are smart enough to figure themselves out.

was expecting to have to do static addresses for both etc. but just set the xbox to use the 'dash' IP address option, where it looks after itself so it uses DHCP is a server is available but otherwise gives itself it's own IP address (afaik) which is the default setting anyway and the NAS came with DHCP turned on so that was fine too.

also, as there was nothing on the network aside from the 2 devices the xbox somehow knew and took the NAS to be the default location for everything and goes right to it's shares as a source without having to set them up.

all I had to do was put separate folders for video, music & pics and coy over what he wanted via USB and it works perfectly.

now whenever he comes to visit he just brings the drive with him and I just copy over any new uncopywrited documentaries and home movies I may have that would interest him and we're all set. It's a damn sight quicker and more convenient than having to burn stuff to DVD so he could play it on his DivX DVD player too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

vibe666 wrote: »
    now whenever he comes to visit he just brings the drive with him and I just copy over any new uncopywrited documentaries and home movies I may have that would interest him and we're all set. .

:pac::pac: Classic

I've seen too many good threads die a death from someone saying the wrong thing to take the risk. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Sneakee wrote: »
    Hi,
    have already successfully completed a 750gb HDD upgrade with the IDE Seagate Barracuda thru a softmodded XBOX, now after spotting new 1TB Samsung HDD sata on sale in Dabs.ie for €130, so I'm just wondering is this possible, first up what SATA to IDE adapter do you recommend and where can I get on, is the one below easy to get?
    http://www.cooldrives.com/native-sata-to-ide-adapter-with-jmicron-chip.html
    Also has anyone used a SATA hdd and have they had any probs with it in their xbox?

I'd like to use IDE but those Seagate 750gb go for €162 and the price difference is very apparent, I do need a large hard drive, of 750 plus.....So any suggestions and directions out there???

We completed the upgrade with some difficulty but the problems were small, we're hoping to start modding our friends old xboxs in the coming months...Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions there, I've decided against this idea, looks to be a little complicated but that NAS looks like a possibility but far off in the future. Anyway I have another question but will open a new thread as its kinda different. Thanks to everyone!"

Advertisement