Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA on Xbox Live Poll

• 14-05-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

Ok I cannot stand this any longer, I can never finish a bloody online game, please let me know if this is a rubbish service from eircom or if I have to set something up from the xbox menu, it tests itself and says all is fine but I can NEVER finish a bloody online game.

I'm getting a new router soon but god knows if that will help.

Any feedback or advice very much appreciated.

How often does your gta online not work? 27 votes

It always works for me
    0% 0 votes
    Rarely fails
    51% 14 votes
    I can finish half of my games
    33% 9 votes
    I am usually disconnected from most/all my games
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

i get disconnected from any games with more than about 8 people on :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

I have my xbox connected directly into a wireless enabled pc and sometimes i have errors when i try to start a new game ,but other than that it works spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Klept0

Played about ten games in a row there and not a problem. Have asked a few mates and they said rarely on XBL do they have problems. Only stuff they have a problem with is the interface to get to the multiplayer(having to go through the phone rather than a separate menu at the start).

PSN now, that's a different story, disconnections being handed out like hotcakes there. Bit of a thumbleweed there though.

Do you not have any other games on your 360 that you can try out? I'd rent out something first and see what the craic is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Klept0 wrote: »
    PSN now, that's a different story, disconnections being handed out like hotcakes there. Bit of a thumbleweed there though.

that was fixed with a quick patch. ironically my two brothers are reporting drops from xbl while my PSN account (admittedly i've only used it today for online games) is fine and dandy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Klept0

that was fixed with a quick patch. ironically my two brothers are reporting drops from xbl while my PSN account (admittedly i've only used it today for online games) is fine and dandy

Guessing that quick patch came up automatically? My bro's been having problems with his all week, disconnecting and barely anyone online to play(well in comparison to xbl). Have you had many games with more than 3-4 people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Guessing that quick patch came up automatically? My bro's been having problems with his all week, disconnecting and barely anyone online to play(well in comparison to xbl). Have you had many games with more than 3-4 people?

yeah the patch comes up after the intro sequence and does it's thing... unless you cancel it (i assume you can).

as i said, i've only played it today but each game i jumped into seemed as populated as my brothers' xbl rooms. i could have gotten lucky but that would be odd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Have you had many games with more than 3-4 people?

I do. Online works just fine with the PSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I haven't tried online that much but the few times I did the problem I encountered most was the game freezing at the loading screen just before the game starts. I can still hear people talk, just a black screen with the loading icon at the bottom right corner.

On Xbox Live btw and use Eircom 3mb package

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

im on a NTL 3mb line and have no problems at all in the last week or so :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not had any problems with it myself, well the very occasional temporary hang at the end of a game. On a 3mb eircom "business" line myself. Did have huge problems after a while with the connection when I was on a 2mb home connection though, but that was only once other people in the area realised what broadband was and so the line got a touch crowded at certain times of the day.

My "home" broadband connection going to ****e was directly related to when the number of wireless connections you could pick up in the estate suddenly increasing. I did have a year or so between them turning on the exchange and anyone else realising what broadband was though, as long as none of them now switch to business connections I'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

So could it be my bog standard eircom connection then?

Its in a housing estate so I'm probably sharing my already basic connection with a lot of other people, and a whole rake of new estates too.

To hell with it, the new router may fix it, if not a step up in service or a new provider completely.

I NEVER get to finish a game, its extremely frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Router NAT settings have a lot to do with connection issues. Mind you I have problems with ranked matches, despite an open NAT. Part of the connection problems is that not one machine is the dedicated host to the game, meaning that all people in the game have to be able to connect with each other, so one person with a strict NAT, can cause problems for everyone else. I would say the netcode has a big part to play, and hopefully will get optimised with a patch. Its not a problem that is exclusive to one machine, but happens on PSN as well as XBL.

Router NAT settings have a lot to do with connection issues. Mind you I have problems with ranked matches, despite an open NAT. Part of the connection problems is that not one machine is the dedicated host to the game, meaning that all people in the game have to be able to connect with each other, so one person with a strict NAT, can cause problems for everyone else. I would say the netcode has a big part to play, and hopefully will get optimised with a patch. Its not a problem that is exclusive to one machine, but happens on PSN as well as XBL.

Would improving my router or broadband service help with this?

Do a network test on your xbox (system blade, network settings). The very last test that is performed when you initiate the test is the NAT test. If that says moderate or strict, that means you will have trouble connecting to games. If NAT is not open, then the network will need configuration. Static IP will need setting up for all machines that connect, and the ports need to forwarded. Check out www.portforward.com This website has a comprehensive list of routers, and full instructions how to set up static ip and port forwarding. If you are using certain applications on your pc for downloading, make sure to assign a port to them, and tell that app. to look for that port too. Download speeds will increase;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭manyoo88

before i could barely get online (PS3) and when i did i could only get 1 or 2 players to play against. always would disconnect. However I did a bit of googling and got my NAT type from 2 to 1 and now everything is working fine. Free online gaming FTW!!!

My nat test gives the open result and I still get this.

/\ What is the difference between 1 and 2?

1 is the PS3 equivalent of open and 2 is moderate. I have an open NAT too and have connection problems to ranked matches. I do think the netcode needs optimisation.

1 is the PS3 equivalent of open and 2 is moderate. I have an open NAT too and have connection problems to ranked matches. I do think the netcode needs optimisation.

In the odd game that does work, I'm told I'm glitching all over the shop, which must piss people off, and irritates me.

I can imagine then its my eircom connection, I'll upgrade then to the next speed option and hopefully it will be worth the extra money.

In an ideal situation you want about 300-512 kb/s upload speed. To get best gaming performance you usually have to go the best package available, as ISP's in Ireland are crap, mainly due to poor infrastructure. Anyway high upload speed is important.

Advertisement