Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Roubaix?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Thinking seriously of putting my Specialized Allez on Adverts.ie and upgrading to a Specialized Roubaix. Any owners got any thoughts on them or anybody got any other alternative suggestions on how to spend the dough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Start with what you like/don't like about the Allez.

How to spend the dough? Go on a two week cycling holiday somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't own one but they are meant to be extremely comfortable. Having moved from an aluminum Trek (1000) to a carbon Trek (5000) there was a _major_ increase in comfort. Really smoothed out the road to an incredible degree. The Trek was also significantly more comfortable than my (aluminum) Specialized Sirrus hybrid. Not all carbon bikes are automatically as comfortable BTW, the Focus Cayo I have at the moment is a bit harsh compared to the Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Oooh, im in the market for an allez, unless i decide to sell some organs and get one of those planetXs, mind me asking wot size frame it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Morgan wrote: »
    How to spend the dough? Go on a two week cycling holiday somewhere?

Cheers but I meant an alternative bike maybe

It's a size 56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

How do you feel you're being limited by the Allez? Comfort over distances?

What is it about the Roubaix that attracts you in the first place? What are your wants from this new bike?

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    It's a size 56

DirkVoodoo-Sorry, checked again it's a 56.5 frame. Do you think you might have an interest before I advertise it? (No pressure you understand...)

There's nothing I specifically dislike about the Allez it's a perfectly good bike. In fact I'm off for a spin on it now but I feel I've outgrown it due to improved fitness levels and I have an extra few bob due to not giving my money to brewers while getting fitter!!

Went into local BS and got the info about the Roubaix but would like and independent opinion from someone in the know whether it is worth splashing out ie. is it worth the money for the possible improvements??

You should see improved comfort over longer distances. Presuming the groupset is going up a few notches you should also see smoother shifting.

You are unlikely to get much faster, although if it's lighter (keeping the same or lower gearing) you will find it a bit easier to get up steep hills.

"Real" cyclists (and I don't mean the 531 variety) will now nod at you as you are on a carbon bike. You will however be worried about taking it abroad in case it gets a nick from the baggage handlers and the frame explodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

blorg wrote: »
    "Real" cyclists (and I don't mean the 531 variety)

531?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

531 refers to the Reynolds steel that you see on alot of older bikes.

Hey bray,

I think I would be about a 54cm fit, so best go ahead and put it on adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Its a good idea to stick to the same brand bike as geometry is the same and you will get used to it quicker

Which Roubaix are you looking at??

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hey bray,

I think I would be about a 54cm fit, so best go ahead and put it on adverts.

Ok. Thanks for the quick reply DirkVoodoo

E@gle I'm looking at the Roubaix Elite (big savings online) know anything about it anyone?

If anybody's interested this is the ad on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=56476

Will accept offer in or around €595...

Tis a sweet machine, if it were smaller I would buy it. Good luck with the sale!

Bikes don't happen to shrink if you wash them in warm water do they....hmmmm;)

You won't get €595 for that bike, RRP in Ireland is €749 and you can get a new one cheaper online (from a quick Google - from £460). This is meant as a helpful tip, I see so many people trying to sell bikes for way over what they are worth (and they still have them months later!) Drop the price and you will sell, start of the summer is a good time of year to be selling. You will not shift it if you still have the bike towards the end of the summer. The triple does cost a few bob more than the double so you can at least point that out to people. Good luck with the sale.

blorg wrote: »
    You won't get €595 for that bike, RRP in Ireland is €749 and you can get a new one cheaper online (from a quick Google - from £460). This is meant as a helpful tip, I see so many people trying to sell bikes for way over what they are worth (and they still have them months later!) Drop the price and you will sell, start of the summer is a good time of year to be selling. You will not shift it if you still have the bike towards the end of the summer. The triple does cost a few bob more than the double so you can at least point that out to people. Good luck with the sale.

Absolutely taken as a helpful tip and I concede it's pitched a little high, and yes I am trying to shift it at the start of the summer.

Any reasonable price suggestions (to allow a few quid for haggling)? All assistance appreciated.

PS Blorg nice link to De Ver cycles. I had not spotted them. Good site.

With a reasonably new bike I think 2/3 of Irish RRP can be a good rule of thumb- which would give you €500. I'd advertise at that (or say €495) and you may be lucky, but be willing to take €450.

Depreciation on bikes really is massive and they are getting cheaper and higher spec year on year; this has really accelerated in the last few years.

You probably have an advantage selling an entry-level bike as people buying are less likely to be looking online. If you bought it from an LBS presumably they will continue looking after it for the new owner which is another advantage.

Blorg,

All advice taken on board and price reduced. On reflection it was too high. Anyone know of any other comparable bikes (price wise included) to the Roubaix that might be worth looking at?

Where online are you looking for the Roubaix Elite? I see the 07 in a 54cm at £999 from JE James. That's really very good value, especially for a "name brand" like Specialized, certainly very attractive if you already have a Specialized that fits well as you will know you size.

Around that price point there is not a lot really, I'd consider:

Focus Cayo from Wiggle (£1,099)
    Planet X (£999 with Dura-Ace/Ultegra Mix)
    2007 Giant carbon SCR from Wiggle (£999)
    - any other carbon 2007 offers you can locate

Depends what you want really, but if you are comfortable with the Specialized geometry that would really seem like the one to go for. The Roubaix is meant to be a very comfy bike, the Cayo above for example is relatively stiff and harsh.

OK so have agreed in principle a sale of this bike (many thanks Blorg) so here's the option:

a 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite for £1099 with £110 worth of Specialized accessories free or

a 2007 Specialized Roubaix Comp for £1099 or

a 2007 Specialized Tarmac Comp for £1199.

I think I can safely say it will be a Specialized!! How long does delivery tend to take? I am looking at Evans Cycles and De Ver Cycles (again many thanks Blorg!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The 2007 Comp and 2008 Expert have nearly the exact same spec - choose whichever colour you prefer.

The Tarmac is a more race oriented bike - if that's what you want.

The Roubaix should be more comfortable but maybe not quite as fast/racy as the Tarmac; it has a more upright riding position and is designed for comfort.

There isn't a big difference between the Elite and the Comp.

Haven't bought from those two but buying from other online retailers delivery was quick, a few days.

So this rothar

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/products.php?plid=m1b2s205p3272

arrived today (ordered on Thursday). I shopped around in Dublin though before I ordered. Some BS looking for €2K for the same bike and I got 10% of the value of the bike in Specialized kit..for €1400!!!

Thanks to all (particurlarly Blorg it must be said) for input so far.

Next question:

Do I ring LBS and ask them to assemble it or is that cheeky?
    Any alternative suggestions if that's not the done thing. The reason I ask is that the guy in my LBS is sound and I would not like to ruin a good thing (I still buy accessories and get advice from him)...

Advertisement