Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car mileage question

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Toyota Celica and at 63000 miles I had to replace the engine (long story, previous owner's fault). I managed to get a brand new engine from a 2007 Celica through a Toyota garage. I've done 7000 miles now with the new engine. Which of these would be the advertised mileage? I have 70000 on the clock and one of the trip computers is logging the miles for the new engine.

Also, how would it effect the value of my car? Its a red 2000 VVTI and in good nick.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hi,

I have a Toyota Celica and at 63000 miles I had to replace the engine (long story, previous owner's fault). I managed to get a brand new engine from a 2007 Celica through a Toyota garage. I've done 7000 miles now with the new engine. Which of these would be the advertised mileage? I have 70000 on the clock and one of the trip computers is logging the miles for the new engine.

Also, how would it effect the value of my car? Its a red 2000 VVTI and in good nick.

Cheers

Probably best to quote both, saying the engine has covered 7000 miles while the car itself has done 70,000. I'm not too sure about value, i'll let some of the more knowledgeable boardsies have a go at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

For valuation: it's a red Celica, mid 2000 reg, 70000 overall miles, 7000 for new engine, 6 speed, 1.8 VVTI, 16" alloys, air con etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

one of the trip computers is logging the miles for the new engine
    Does it not end at 999.9 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The mileage is 70,000. If you were selling the car, you'd say '70k miles, new engine at 63k'. To state or even imply that the mileage is 7k (the mileage on the engine) would be just plain dishonest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Be honest and say: car has 70k, new engine has 7k.

• Advertisement
Advertisement