Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused future mature student seeking advice

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for advice from those a hell of a lot more experienced that myself. The long and short of it is im currently working as a sales consultant and am soon aiming for a management position. The offset is i get so BORED of every single job within 6 months I end up walking out into something completely different.

Ive always planned to go to college to study journalism, but I dont know what college to consider, and what course exactly. I'd love to end up in reviewing for one of the larger games websites or magazines. I easily have the ability but lack the discipline and some of the skills (not to mention the qualifications) I need.

Im looking to return as a mature student, but I'd love some advice on which colleges offer the best courses, how I should go about it and what the requirements are.

The main thing hindering me is that although I got a good leaving cert I failed maths. I simply hate anything based on memorising for exam after exam.

I think journalism is much more suited to my working style due to the fact that it is mostly project based.

So guys, your feedback please; and thanks in advance for any positive advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You need to display an interest in, and enthusiasm for, your chosen subject. Check the websites of various colleges and see which one offers what you want. As for actually being a mature student, there are quite a few threads here where people give their experiences.

Hi guys,

Looking for advice from those a hell of a lot more experienced that myself. The long and short of it is im currently working as a sales consultant and am soon aiming for a management position. The offset is i get so BORED of every single job within 6 months I end up walking out into something completely different.

Ive always planned to go to college to study journalism, but I dont know what college to consider, and what course exactly. I'd love to end up in reviewing for one of the larger games websites or magazines. I easily have the ability but lack the discipline and some of the skills (not to mention the qualifications) I need.

Im looking to return as a mature student, but I'd love some advice on which colleges offer the best courses, how I should go about it and what the requirements are.

The main thing hindering me is that although I got a good leaving cert I failed maths. I simply hate anything based on memorising for exam after exam.

I think journalism is much more suited to my working style due to the fact that it is mostly project based.

So guys, your feedback please; and thanks in advance for any positive advice!

Hey marshbaboon,

I'm not a guidance counsellor but one thing that struck me when I read your post was whether or not you're exploring doing journalism when you're not in work? By this I'm talking about writing for your local paper, or for an online blog yourself, or something like that.

On the point of failing maths, I'm sure you know that if you return as a mature student your leaving cert doesn't matter, but you are given a spot in a course based on the interview and your personal statement that you write when applying.

Hope it all works out!

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I've had an interest in it for years, but I would be focusing less on the media aspect of it. I've moderated on a few reviewing websites, and have been toying around trying to write a novel for 2 years.

Theres a 3 year degree in DCU ive been looking at for a while, but as I'm 22 now I would have to wait another 2 years before I could enter on an interview basis.

I'm trying to sniff around looking for a back door into a decent college sooner if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Sounds like you're pretty sure that journalism (and specifically gaming journalism) is what you want to go in to so there's a couple of things that you can do. The main thing I'd say is to give it a proper shot - explore all the avenues and try everything. You don't want to still be sitting in that job in two years time still planning how you're going to be a great journalist but not actually doing anything about it :)

Firstly, try and build up some experience. Maybe start your own blog with your reviews on it? It's really easy to do, plus it's a great way to get exposure and also to practise your writing style.Also send a sample review into a few gaming magazines - ring up beforehand and get the name of the person that you should be sending it to so that it doesn't just end up going to the wrong person who won't care about it. It can be a bit scary sending something in for the first time but often editors - especially in smaller publications - are glad to receive something that will help fill up their pages, as long as it's appropriate and well-written.

If there's a local newspaper in your area then give them a buzz and see if you can do some work for them. It mightn't exactly be the area you're looking to break in to but it will give you experience of writing articles and working to deadlines.

Next, when it comes to courses you're obviously in a bit of a trick position. You could always do something like the Cert in Print Journalism in Ballyfermot or a similar course which would only last a year or two but would bring you up to being a mature student when you could apply for DCU or DIT, which are the two best colleges to study journalism in.

It's also worth considering that if you do complete the Cert you could always apply to do the Masters in Journalism in DCU or DIT instead of the undergrad. You'd have to check it out for certain yourself but I think that you can be accepted in to DCU as a mature student if you have experience in the industry, so that could be a runner (but I'm not completely certain so double check that!).

You're right to be looking at qualifications as a way of getting in to the industry, by the way; I'm a journalist with two national papers and the vast majority of the people I know in those papers have some kind of journalism qualification (I did the MA in Journalism in DCU last year). The ones who don't are generally older and have been knocking around the industry for donkey's years.

So this is very rushed but hopefully it'll help you out a bit. If you have any specific questions or anything like that, post them up and I'll try and help out.

Best of luck with it all by the way. It gets a lot of flack but journalism is a great career.

Thanks so much for the post, absolutely brilliant.

I've been writing for a while, have done a few bits and pieces, mainly reviews. Ballyfermot is a bit of a commute but I could get a full grant and offset that against getting a car. I think the best way would be if I do the one year cert in ballyfermot, then perhaps get an internship, or if im lucky an actualy job for a year until i can slip in under the radar as a mature student to DCU.

Ive known for a few years this is exactly what I want to do, but it was always an idea, I never did anything to progress it.

I think I have a bit of research on grants and funding for the year to do before I can take the next step.

I'd love to talk to you a bit more about this, have some phone calls to make tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I would be considered an Independant Mature student, officially i have been unemployed for over a year now, I've actually been playing poker for a living.

To add to this i've been living in France for the past year, im now sure how this may affect me.

I plan on playing very little during college which is why i will be applying for any grant/assistance I will be entitled to.

In regards to my parents, my Father is the only one who works and he is self employed.

What grants would i be entitled to?

The information out there is very unclear to me, I would apreciate a little help.

Returning to do film studies and French which I believe qualifies for grants.

Thanks,

Samba

Hi Samba,

If you're eligible to be an Independent Mature Student (as per the regulations) you would be assessed on your income only. If you are classed as a Dependent Mature Student you would be assessed on your income and the income your parents/guardians get.

For a course to qualify for a grant it has to be, at present, a full-time course. It used to be the way that private college students could not get grants but a case was recently decided in that the student going to a private college could get a grant.

So the basic minimum is that you have to adhere to the income limit. If it's your income and your parents' income, you'll have to add both together.

So that's really all I can say with what you've said. In order to find out more information the best people to talk to would be your local Council/VEC since they administer the scheme.

If there's anything more specific or something that's confusing you feel free to ask and I'm sure someone will answer you!

Hope it all goes well :)

Dónal
    Samba wrote: »
    I would be considered an Independant Mature student, officially i have been unemployed for over a year now, I've actually been playing poker for a living.

To add to this i've been living in France for the past year, im now sure how this may affect me.

I plan on playing very little during college which is why i will be applying for any grant/assistance I will be entitled to.

In regards to my parents, my Father is the only one who works and he is self employed.

What grants would i be entitled to?

The information out there is very unclear to me, I would apreciate a little help.

Returning to do film studies and French which I believe qualifies for grants.

Thanks,

Samba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Thanks Donal,

Much apreciated, I actually posted in the incorrect thread my mistake it was far more relevant.

Thanks,

Jonny

Just a follow up for the sake of it, sat a late interview for the MJC in ballyfermot. they told me the courses were full and 3 days later I emailed in some of my portfolio....

They emailed me back and I'm starting monday.... on a higher course than I even applied for.

im meant to be on holidays from work, their expecting me back on wednesday :D

Advertisement