Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank account for foreign student

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I'm a student from Czech republic and I'm going to work in Ireland for 3 months (6,7,8). I'd like to get one account for me and my girlfriend (i'd like two credit cards). Can anyone help me, which account would suits me the best? Is there a free account, so that I can leave it untouched for a year and don't pay too much money? Which bank offer the best service, and which one has enough ATMs? I can browse the web, but I won't know opinions of Irish people.
    Many thanks for any reply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

holotik wrote: »
    I'm a student from Czech republic and I'm going to work in Ireland for 3 months (6,7,8). I'd like to get one account for me and my girlfriend (i'd like two credit cards). Can anyone help me, which account would suits me the best? Is there a free account, so that I can leave it untouched for a year and don't pay too much money? Which bank offer the best service, and which one has enough ATMs? I can browse the web, but I won't know opinions of Irish people.
    Many thanks for any reply.

I'm pretty sure that no bank will give you a credit card straight away. Usually the timeframe is about 6 months. Most banks will offer you an account free of current a/c fees. And some may give you a debit card straight away. The two main banks in Ireland are AIB & Bank of Ireland and in terms of service they are second to none. However there are conditions with both regarding free fees. E.g Bank of Ireland require you to keep 500eur on your account over a quarter to qualify for free fees or register for online banking and do 3 debit transactions online per quarter & AIB require you to use your debit card once per quarter and register for Online banking (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 holotik

stepbar wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that no bank will give you a credit card straight away. Usually the timeframe is about 6 months. Most banks will offer you an account free of current a/c fees. And some may give you a debit card straight away.

I didn't really mean credit card, I just meant any card (as I don't know what's the difference between these two :o
    Thank's a lot. I'll take a look at their websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gazza110011

AIB is the best to go to first, they are less hassle and more user friendly, then Ulster Bank, then TSB. These in my opinion are the top 3 banks in order for Ireland. AVOID Bank of Ireland way to many people go there. ATMs are not a problem they are everywhere, you will most likely just get an ATM card so you will need to go to the machine to get money, but you can ask for a laser card which will allow you to make purchases in the shops.:cool:

Advertisement