Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life on Mars the ABC trailer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm on the fence about this. The UK one is pretty gritty, but this looks like its going for the cheesy Starsky and Hutch vibe. The voice over doesn't do it any favours either.

But it has Colm Meaney.

I'll watch the pilot with interest (whenever it appears)

It would appear that the rumours of recasting the show were just that. Looks quite cheeesy, but I'll still watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

Cringe inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Looks very very poor! :(

The US pilot is clearly lifted directly from the UK pilot (a lá 'The Office')..
    exact same storyline with Sam encountering his girlfriend's abducter as a child
    . But i'd imagine after the pilot they'll be original.

70's America is NO 70's Manchester.. what 'Life On Mars' primarily played on was police corruptness.. this just looks to play on the cheesey Starsky & Hutch factor of it all (like Dave has said).

Also, Colm Meaney really doesn't look the part - it's worth mentioning the two leads (Colm Meaney and Jason O Mara) are both Irish.

Not too impressed with this one unfortunately (though will no doubt give the pilot a look) but this was one of the shows I was most looking forward to, in a way. Hope Abrams 'Fringe' and Whedons 'Dollhouse' don't disappoint me as much as this preview did! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I have to say it was FAIL until Meaney showed up. It could be ok, hard to be better than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm still waiting for UK telly do adapt the Dukes of Hazzard, set in Essex.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So-so from what I could see. Annoying that the Americans have to throw in that inspirational gushing that pervades a lot of their drama. I'd also expect a lot more audience hand holding and "this is what Sam did next in 1972" type of thing. Though this bias is probably influenced by the quality of the original LOM. Will watch pilot at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The BBC's LOM was an hour long an epsiode, US shows are normally about 42-44 minutes, lots of detail to lose if they try to copy the beebs eps.

Nuttzz wrote: »
    The BBC's LOM was an hour long an epsiode, US shows are normally about 42-44 minutes, lots of detail to lose if they try to copy the beebs eps.
    The UK version of 'The Office' was 28 - 30 minutes, and the US version of 21 - 22. Made zero difference!

Odds are 'Life on Mars' will do exactly what the American version of 'The Office' did - copy the pilot (minus a few insignificant scenes to save time) but from then on, it'll all be original content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

As someone who watched Ashes to Ashes but not the UK Life on Mars I'm looking forward to this. The trailer looks good.

• Advertisement

What.. what.. what?!?!

Good Lord man.. seek it out! NOW!

Lirange wrote: »
    Cringe inducing.

I agree. This looks terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for UK telly do adapt the Dukes of Hazzard, set in Essex.

Mike.
    I would pay good money to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Im going to hold off judgement until I see it, i remeber someone telling me how crap the new battlestar was, it even had boomer & starbuck as women...it hasnt been that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Trailer doesn't inspire confidence will be hard to beat the original version.

Advertisement