Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haze machines

• 14-05-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a hazer/fazer machine? not the fog machines, the ones with the fan to make the smoke thinner? I didn't use mine for about 3 months and now it splutters. I tried running water through it, but I can even get that through it. It seams to put the smoke out in short bursts when I press the remote button, whereas before it would pump out a good smoke mist.

Should I take it back and see if I can get a replacement? I still have all the packaging and it is in pristine condition. I was thinking of taking back to a different branch of the same shop and saying it was bought for me, that's why I don't have the reciept! Would I get away with it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Generally if the words 'small claims court' are mentioned, retailers tend to do as you ask... within reason! Assuming it's a valid complaint which yours sounds like, although they can be sticky on receipts alright. Worth a shot I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I'll go to them in the morning and let you know! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Do take the polite approach obviously and they would be quite within their rights to offer to get it repaired under warranty. Most products like this have a certain small duration whereby if they go faulty the manufacturer offers a replacement but that's generally for just 30 days or so after purchase, after that a repair would be offered for the duration of the warranty. Definitely use 'small claims court' as a last resort though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would say the technician in Maplin would have had these in before because nozzle blockage is a relatively common problem with smokers and foggers. More than likely this is the problem. It could also be a dodgy fluid pump. The only case Maplin have is that you do not have the original receipt; unless you can remember the exact date you bought or have a Visa statement I don’t think the small claims court can hold water. There could also be a DOM stamped or printed somewhere on the appliance which could prove that you have it less than a year.

You were right run, they said they couldn't even give me a replacement if I didn't have the reciept or remember when it was bought. I've been to bed since then, they expect me to remember that! Anyway, they did fire it up, (and filled the shop with smoke and worried the security guard!) and it worked better than when I tried it last night. (typical!) I have found a key ring and opened it to see if I can clean it, I have hunted high and low for a paper clip but can I find one? no!

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll flog it to someone and buy a new one, or try those cans of smoke from maplins. I'm getting a laser soon so that's all I want it for. Has anyone tried using a laser without smoke?

• Advertisement

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    You were right run, they said they couldn't even give me a replacement if I didn't have the reciept or remember when it was bought. I've been to bed since then, they expect me to remember that! Anyway, they did fire it up, (and filled the shop with smoke and worried the security guard!) and it worked better than when I tried it last night. (typical!) I have found a key ring and opened it to see if I can clean it, I have hunted high and low for a paper clip but can I find one? no!

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll flog it to someone and buy a new one, or try those cans of smoke from maplins. I'm getting a laser soon so that's all I want it for. Has anyone tried using a laser without smoke?
    Maplin DJ stuff is realy only suitable for the bedroom. Yes Lasers are useless without haze, walk into the Queens "Night club" in Ennis and you can see for yourself. With out effects they are only good for portraying cartoon images on a wall etc.

BTW if your going for Laser make sure its ILDA specified unless you are getting one from Maplin :rolleyes: I have seen RG Lasers quite reasonable and can be got for a few hundred. Im holding off for the RGB until they drop at least another 50%. http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=RGB+laser

Well I didn't manage to fix it! Anyone wanna buy a cheap hazer?! Where can I get a really cheap one?

Well I didn't manage to fix it! Anyone wanna buy a cheap hazer?! Where can I get a really cheap one?
    Dont go near Maplin again. :eek:. Ebay is your best bet. Stick with the good makes. Jem & Martin. Both the one company and they make excellent low budget models. BTW I couldn't wait and got a laser to_day. The KAM Cluster Red/Green 140. Was very impressed with a desplay model I saw in Buskers in Ennis and snapped it up. It dosen't weight a ton and will work very effectivly with or with out haze. It throws out over 200 points at one time and would fill up a dance floor, wall or roof, looks cool and preforms like a machine that would normally cost e1000's
    http://www.swlighting.co.uk/products/lasers-226/2508.htm
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIS2ESsL8U

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Dont go near Maplin again. :eek:. Ebay is your best bet. Stick with the good makes. Jem & Martin. Both the one company and they make excellent low budget models. BTW I couldn't wait and got a laser to_day. The KAM Cluster Red/Green 140. Was very impressed with a desplay model I saw in Buskers in Ennis and snapped it up. It dosen't weight a ton and will work very effectivly with or with out haze. It throws out over 200 points at one time and would fill up a dance floor, wall or roof, looks cool and preforms like a machine that would normally cost e1000's
    http://www.swlighting.co.uk/products/lasers-226/2508.htm
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIS2ESsL8U

man that looks so cool!
    good price. think i might buy one.

Found a place in north lotts, they got a smoke machine for E35 (http://www.musictechnology.ie/prodlist.asp?sid=247) so gonna get one after my next gig. I wont be using it until I get my laser, (http://tinyurl.com/5z9fyo)

I got a christening to do in june so if I can get them all before then. I'll be sorted!

• Advertisement

Found a place in north lotts, they got a smoke machine for E35 (http://www.musictechnology.ie/prodlist.asp?sid=247) so gonna get one after my next gig. I wont be using it until I get my laser, (http://tinyurl.com/5z9fyo)

I got a christening to do in june so if I can get them all before then. I'll be sorted!
    THB that is not really a smoke machine. I had one similar to the starvale and it was only good for small house parties, had the same trouble with blocking nozzles because the jets were so small. Martin make an excellent low budget model called the Magnum 550 for about 70 quid. You can get any part for martin handy. http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/9893

I notice a lot of your posts include URLs for UK companies. Do you find them cheaper? or is it just pot luck if they ship to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

The problem with Hazers is that if you do not plan on using them for more than a week they must be cleaned out and store correctly. If this is not done the it will clog up. Its one of the most common problems with them.

Smoke machines to not really suffer from this issue.

I would not be going to Maplins for anything lights related if you wanna be taken seriously.

I use that Martin Magnum550. Great little unit and its never given me any problems. It can be no use in large rooms but its a good buy.

Another thing what is the best placing for a laser and a smoke machine? I.E. laser behind you and smoke machine on the floor in front? or was thinking of laser behind, and smoke machine underneath on say a table or shelf?

Another thing what is the best placing for a laser and a smoke machine? I.E. laser behind you and smoke machine on the floor in front? or was thinking of laser behind, and smoke machine underneath on say a table or shelf?
    I keep smoke & haze under or near the table and run a remote to them. You also need to watch the fluid levels. The Martins have a stat that will prevent the heater element from burning out if it runs low on fluid, many of cheaper ones don't :eek: You also don’t want such a blast that you cant see what you are doing. You can also get different effects, I used a thick smoke over the weekend that lingered no more than about three feet from the groundlooked cool. You can also get scented smoke which I would not recommend as a lot of people don’t like it. OK outdoors or in a marquee.

what about the laser? is it best to have it behind you? I can't often put up a lighting rig so putting it behind me would probably be the only option.

what about the laser? is it best to have it behind you? I can't often put up a lighting rig so putting it behind me would probably be the only option.
    The manufacturers recommend having a laser 3 meters above ground to avoid eye contact; they are just coving their own asses. I had mine about 6ft6" off the ground facing the wall towards the crowd. One would want to be stupid to look directly at a laser. (You can put up a warning beside the machine) If you are not using DMX it would be as well to have it within reach because they use a key switch unless you intend switching it off at the plug.

Advertisement