Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading ram help

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

My pc is pretty old I got it in early 2002.

Its slow at starting up due to the lack of ram as it currently has 256mb of ram.

I used everest home edition and it says my pc has 256mb of pc133 sdram and that my motherboard has 2 DIMM slots.

In my memory module properties it says the module size is 2 rows and 4 banks.

Anyway slot 1 has the 256mb pc133 sdram in it.

What type of ram would I have to get?
    Should I stick with pc133 sd ram and what latency or cl would it have to have?
    I cant find anything about cl?
    Is it hard for to install ram for someone who has never opened up a pc before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Always wear an ESD Strap ie an earted anti static wrist strap if you are messing around with the guts of a PC (Maplins do them for about e8) and dont touch the modules or contacts :eek: Handle ram by the edges .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I ordered it anyway.

I think Ill be okay grounding myself by holding onto my computer case as the computer case is made out of metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I cant get the ram to go properly into the slot.
    Im afraid to put too much pressure on it as I dont want to screw up my pc.

How much would it cost me if I went to a pc repair shop and got them to install the ram for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

it can take a good push to get it sitting in properly.
    you could unclip the existing ram and push it back into position
    (to get a feel for how much pressure is required)

Advertisement