Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan Beach-Warning

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hey,

Just thought this mite be something people might like to be aware of.

I'm only living in Balbriggan 9 months so only starting to appreciate the beach that runs up towards Gormanston...

Last weekend was out walking with bf and walked for about 20 mins or so in direction of gormanston to a small little cove thats blocked in with rocks on both sides(literally beside a cliff that you have to walk around to go further).

The tide was out so I decided to go for a paddle-Big mistake,I instantly sunk down into the sand up to my knees and couldnt get out. My bf had to pull me out but it took a while and i lost a sandal!
    Two mins later a guy and girl walking their dog came along and guy ran towards sea with his dog only for same to happen(he said he couldnt hear our shouts to warn him). This guy sunk right down in the sand nearly up to his waist and took him good while to get out. He just seemed to sink further and further the more he moved....

Maybe its something people who grew up here are already aware of but i notified the council who still havnt phoned me back and am getting in touch with coastal zone safety to try and get them to put signs up here as its a tragedy waiting to happen... someone up north actually died last week from fishing on beach and tide came in and he got stuck in sand and couldnt get out.

I really got a fright and was shocked that there was no warning signs as I have never sunk into sand on a beach anywhere like this!

suzie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭cheridere

suzieb wrote: »
    Hey,

Just thought this mite be something people might like to be aware of.

I'm only living in Balbriggan 9 months so only starting to appreciate the beach that runs up towards Gormanston...

Last weekend was out walking with bf and walked for about 20 mins or so in direction of gormanston to a small little cove thats blocked in with rocks on both sides(literally beside a cliff that you have to walk around to go further).

The tide was out so I decided to go for a paddle-Big mistake,I instantly sunk down into the sand up to my knees and couldnt get out. My bf had to pull me out but it took a while and i lost a sandal!
    Two mins later a guy and girl walking their dog came along and guy ran towards sea with his dog only for same to happen(he said he couldnt hear our shouts to warn him). This guy sunk right down in the sand nearly up to his waist and took him good while to get out. He just seemed to sink further and further the more he moved....

Maybe its something people who grew up here are already aware of but i notified the council who still havnt phoned me back and am getting in touch with coastal zone safety to try and get them to put signs up here as its a tragedy waiting to happen... someone up north actually died last week from fishing on beach and tide came in and he got stuck in sand and couldnt get out.

I really got a fright and was shocked that there was no warning signs as I have never sunk into sand on a beach anywhere like this!

suzie

Dont worry, thier building a lovely big port right over that part of the beach.

If you go around the head past the neolithic mound there is a lovely alcove just before Gormanstown beach. good sand and secluded (the delvin keeps a lot of the walkers on the meath side :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

suzieb wrote: »
    Maybe its something people who grew up here are already aware of but i notified the council who still havnt phoned me back and am getting in touch with coastal zone safety to try and get them to put signs up here as its a tragedy waiting to happen...
    Overkill at the request for signs. No need.

Generally where there is a stream flowing over sand thats in a bay you'll find sinky sand. A fresh water stream has it small delta in that part of the bay. There are many sinky areas on the beach from Gormanston to Skerries.

A good few generations of locals have walked that way and I've known of no tragedy yet so... A little bit of seaside awareness is all thats needed.

As a side that bay is split by a man made pier in the middle where the boulders are. This was originally topped with wood where the bay acted as a harbour for the nearby town of Balscadden. The harbour was in fact a small fishing post where fish was landed and then brought by cart to Balscadden (Balscadden being The Town of the Herrings )

+1 for the post above: Cromwells Harbour is a lovely peaceful spot.

Edited:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Balbriggan,+Fingal,+Ireland&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=53.628022,-6.18894&spn=0.002869,0.013561&z=17

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mactire

I know this thread is ancient now, but it was the 5th result in a google search on 'coastal fishing balbriggan', so i thought it might be relevant.
    If you approach this stretch of beach from the martello tower and walk past the old boathouse beneath it, there is a sign that has been there many years, warning of dangerous currents in the area.
    This stretch of coast, at least as far as the headland at Bremore, is not suitable for bathing. It is prone to bad rip-tides.

Advertisement