Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crew Rest Areas

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

I was just going through some pics on airliners.net of crew rest areas on bigger jets such as the 777, A330 and 747.

Amazing little marvels so they are and I'd love to try one out sometime but I probably will never get the chance.

Nevertheless, do Aer Lingus use them? In their seat charts there doesnt seem to be any mention at all of them...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yes .. Aer Lingus do use them on the longer flights.

The "Horsebox" I'm told is the term for them in EI.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

They also curtain off a few seats near the back for crew use.

I was sitting near the box once. I would have given my right arm to get in there, I was knackered at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

A lot of airlines have them located in the cargo compartments with access via a stairs or lift. I have even seen an MD-11 with bunks in the overhead bins access from the galley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I have a fetish for crew rest areas and galleys.....they amaze me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The "Horsebox" I'm told is the term for them in EI.

Up to last year EI curtained off 4 pairs of seats at the back of the cabin for cabiun crew rest. The 'Horsebox' was the temporary structure placed towards the front of the cabin which was the relief pilots rest area. These were only used on West Coast USA flights,the horsebox could be removed and replaced with 4 seats for the other flights.

Currently they have a lower deck cabin crew rest only on EI-DUO and a temporary structure in the cabin on the other A330-200s. This is now called the "wendy house". Its a lot easier to say than the acronym EI have given it.

• Advertisement

I have a fetish for crew rest areas and galleys.....they amaze me!

You're sick!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have a friend who is air crew for a large international airline for the last 20 years

They have/used to have bunks ' down the back ' of the 747's. He said they were quite uncomfortable, esp during turbulence because you were right under the tail.

I remember he wanted to ensure he was home for an particular occasion so he ' fell out of bunk ' and made a fuss so he could call in sick one time.

I always wondered if he had the chance of joining the mile-high club there , he reckoned the conditions were not exactly ideal for such a thing.

Didn't the Tristars have a lift down to a galley/rest area in the hold area ?

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Didn't the Tristars have a lift down to a galley/rest area in the hold area ?

Yes I have been in a Tristar with gallies in the hold. You wouldn't want to be claustrophobic, the lifts are tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Now that looks handy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Some pics of the "wendy house".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I believe the crew rest area on the A380 has its own private lounge, gym and showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Fabio wrote: »
    Unbelievable!
    The only draw back is that the escalator leading down to the crew rest area is a bit too narrow. :D

Advertisement