Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing question

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Right, new to fly fishing so excuse the obvoius lack of knowledge, im heading up to the north west of the country for the weekend and am wondering if anybody has some tips on where a lad mite catch a few trout?? i have a friend in leitrim telling me they are handy cought and will be in donegal aswel, also what type of permits if any are required? And any tips on fly patterns would be great. not asking for much am i??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Peter O' Reillys book rivers of Ireland is a good hand book. As I travel a lot it is great reference for local waters. Also the local angling shop is another great spot to pick up information I always call there local anglers + local advise = priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

are you hittng lakes or rivers? and dry or wet?
    if you are hitting the rivers, ive noticed a great hatch of mayfly so far this week. (im in cavan)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

"are you hittng lakes or rivers? and dry or wet?
    if you are hitting the rivers, ive noticed a great hatch of mayfly so far this week. (im in cavan)"

Id give anything a go, lake, river, wet or dry, im not the best at the dry but could do with the practice, i will go out today and buy that book.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You should also look at the Northern Reghional Fisheries Board website
    http://www.nrfb.ie/
    There is a map there which shows all the trout & salmon rivers
    Here is smaller version:
    DonegalFisheries.gif
    Also just about all mountain lakes not mentioned (but you can find them on Ordnance Survey Maps) will have small trout in good numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Thanks for all the replies, i bought that book today and its very good, now all i have to do is catch something,,,,:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement