Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism and evolution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So far, Tim Robbins, redstar and seamus are making the best arguements. The OP is getting repetitive though, and the thread is getting pointless.

However, I felt the need to highlight this post as being quite useless, as Christ never taught anything about creationism nor evolution.
    cavedave wrote: »
    How are we supposed to accept the theories on the teachings of christ when there is so much controversy?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This is the market place of ideas, deal with it

Yes it is, evolution is quite a good one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

A few related questions for you.

1. Who created god? Is there a god of gods?
    2. If he's so wonderful then how come he did such a sh!t job! The very air we breathe is posionous to us.
    3. Are you scared of dying?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

*sigh*

Meet me halfway here - at least answer some of your respondents or this thread is pointless.
    A good start would be SDooM's post you dismissed earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Creation scientists

That term just cracks me up to no end! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dades wrote: »
    The OP deserves a chance to continue to respond.

And if the thread is locked - it won't be because the OP holds a different view to the majority here.

*Cough*

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
    Bravely ran away, away!
    When danger reared its ugly head,
    He bravely turned his tail and fled.
    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
    And gallantly he chickened out.
    Bravely taking to his feet
    He beat a fairly brave retreat,
    Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

Don't ban the OP as "he noeth not what he does"

I think people should just not respond. If he can't fathom the basic bit about what a theory is then you all wasting your time. You might as well be trying to convince my mother in law that I'm a nice bloke - im-f***in-possible!

gramlab wrote: »

I think people should just not respond. If he can't fathom the basic bit about what a theory is then you all wasting your time. You might as well be trying to convince my mother in law that I'm a nice bloke - im-f***in-possible!

Missing the point... for me this is fun, for the OP this is internet, serious business. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

gramlab wrote: »

Meh, slow day at work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Just gives evidence that the bible is the actual word of God and I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

Just gives evidence that the bible is the actual word of God and I'll be happy.

If you think about it, it's the word of god all right. You just take the bible and create the god to suit it working backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Biro

However, I felt the need to highlight this post as being quite useless, as Christ never taught anything about creationism nor evolution.

The catholic church and the evangelical beliefs described in the video posted differ. If christians cannot agree on how mankind came about how do you expect us to regard it as a legitimate theory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Similarly, a theory which postulates that all life on earth was not created by God (an important part of belief in God) but instead came about by the means of natural processes is clearly questioning the whether or God exists. I think evolution is an intrinsically atheist set of beliefs.

neo-Darwinian biological evolution is a scientific model/theory

A scientific model cannot "question" anything other than other scientific models. Since "God" is not, and under the commonly held definition, cannot be modelled in science Darwinian evolution has exactly zero to say about God.

Creationists on the other hand put forward the completely untestable and unverifiable idea that if the theory of Darwinian evolution is accurate this means their god (I stress their god) does not exist.

That is an issue for themselves and their own philosophy. It has nothing to do with science.
    If we are to advance our knowledge in a scientific manner we need to examine the theory of evolution carefully and with an open mind.
    No, what we need to do is test the theory of evolution rigorously, which is exactly what biologists have been doing for the for the last 150 years.
    This is how scientists usually conduct themselves, examining the evidence before them objectively and without any preconceptions. This is the basis of the scientific method.

No it isn't. The basis of the scientific method is the formulation of theoretical models (theories), who's predictions are tested against observed phenomena to see if they accurately model the phenomena being studied. The model, or models are then adjusted accordingly based on how closely they do.

This is what happens with all scientific theories, including evolution.
    Science is based on a materialistic world view, and this decrees that there is no such thing as the supernatural.
    Science does no such thing.

Science concerns itself with, and only with, what it can model and test (see comment on scientific method above). Anything it cannot model is outside the scope of scientific enquiry.

If it is not possible for science to model something, for example a supernatural deity such as the Christian God, then it is impossible for science to study it.
    Scientists therefore look at the possible explanations for our existence from a skewed perspective; they are not open to the possibility that God is the intelligent designer of life on earth.

Scientists are open to any and all possibilities so long as they can be modelled, and these models tested for accuracy.

As soon as you figure out a way to model and test God get back to us and it will happily be included in any current scientific model you want.

The purpose of science is to understand what we currently don't understand, and scientists would like nothing more than to be able to formulate models of currently unstudied phenomena, such as God, and test these models for accuracy.

But, at the moment at least, that appears to be impossible as the religious have moved the definition of their god far out of reach of any scientific models. As such science is unable to model them in any manner.
    Take the bacteria flagellum. This incredibly complex organ would simply cease to function if any single part of its composition was altered or removed.
    That isn't true, after than claim was made biologists put forward a number of examples of functioning flagellum that had less parts than the one presented by the Discovery Institute.

All of which is interesting but irrelevant to evolution because you cannot map backwards the path of evolution simply by removing parts from a functioning organism. That isn't how evolution works to start with.
    It is therefore impossible that it could have been formed by a step by step process like evolution.

Even if the flagelium was irreducibly complex as Creationists claim (it isn't, but we will assume it is), that doesn't demonstrate that it couldn't have evolved, because evolution theory doesn't state that whole parts are added in a single step to an organism as Creationist claim it does, and thus removing whole parts is not rewinding the stages of evolution.

The same came be said of the eye.
    Biologists understand quite well how the eye evolved.

In fact computer models suggest that an eye evolves quite quickly and a lot easier than other organs in the animal world.

Evolution of the eye is not only unremarkable but it is also seemingly quite common as over 40 different evolutionary designs have been found, suggesting that the eye has evolved at least 40 times independently of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

As a Christian I have often wondered if atheists who constantly rail against the faith of believers realise that their belief in evolution is as much a matter of faith as a belief in God. You constantly talk about the mountains of evidence in favour of an evolutionary explaination for our existence and yet you don't seem to realise that the jury is still out, it is just a theory. I could easily theorize that the moon is made of cheese but that doesn't have any credibility and neither do the rantings of an 19th century snob like Darwin. I don't mean to sound arrogant, I just think people, particularly atheists, need to look at their own faith before they criticise another.

Is the Scientific Model of reasoning a matter of faith? Remember that same model was what brought us the Industrial Revolution and beyond. Some truly amazing accomplishments. I don't remember the last time God put a man on the moon (you can argue he did.. I'll let you ;)), whether it were made of cheese or Halle Berry clones.

As a man of faith can't you accept God created science and implemented evolution as part of his grand design?

Look at your own faith before criticizing ours, so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The creation scientists in America, the likes of Kent Hovind more in line with the reality of the scientific method than Richard Dawkins (and all of his atheistic proslytizing)
    Kent Hovind? The man who bought his doctorate from a "university" with a corrugated iron roof? The man who had $42,000 stashed in his house together with a cache of weapons, including semi-automatics, then claimed he took no salary, paid no tax and who didn't recognise the federal government of the USA? The man who's currently serving a lengthy prison sentence for tax evasion?

You should really pick your heroes with more care :)
    Unlike in religion, truth in biology is not decided by popularity in the market-place of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Overheal wrote: »
    As a man of faith can't you accept God created science and implemented evolution as part of his grand design?
    I've always found it curious that people favour the "6 days" theory rather than point to evolution as an indicator of God's infinite wisdom and intelligence.

Surely it's more fun to think that God tapped the first domino and sat back to watch, rather than think that he placed all the dominos down on the flat in one go and said, "There, I'm done"?

Perhaps the idea that God didn't explicitly decide to create them, hurts some people's egos?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Hudson 4 ever

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm so glad he's a troll. Its so much better than the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Hudson 4 ever

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm so glad he's a troll. Its so much better than the alternative.

SHE is not a troll

• Advertisement

Ah well, was fun while it lasted.

EDIT: Post reported, btw.

Jesus hates children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well then you have our sympathies, it can't be easy being you.

--edit

damnit, you bastards shouldn't be allowed post until after I do. I'll have to talk with an admin.

SHE is not a troll

Thats just what a troll would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

SHE is not a troll

Oh....just a gobsh1te then??

well then you have our sympathies, it can't be easy being you.

--edit

damnit, you bastards shouldn't be allowed post until after I do. I'll have to talk with an admin.

Excuse me, I am quite legitimate!

This is a perfectly cromulent thread.

Zillah wrote: »
    This is a perfectly cromulent thread.

The OP just tried to cromulentisise further in Christianity and PDN was on it like some form of modding ninja.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

SHE is not a troll

I expected more from a lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

OP, the question you should ask yourself, if you are capable, is how the world could possibly function without evolution or some such similar mechanism. It's necessary in order to allow its occupants to adapt as the environment changes. Without a mechanism for adaptation, life would most likely have died out by now. If there's no evolution, please explain how it does work.

You do accept that the environment changes over time don't you? If not, you might like to read up on a phenomenon known as global warming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement