Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weak Subjects (Re: App. Comp Maths, Physics & Electornics)

• 13-05-2008 4:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

and what makes the course so difficult the maths / physics?

Thats a matter of opinion, but those two would be pretty tough for a lot of people (not everyone, but a good number). I suppose if you put your mind to it you will do well but its kind of hard when you have other subjects to study for at the same time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Sully wrote: »
    Thats a matter of opinion, but those two would be pretty tough for a lot of people (not everyone, but a good number). I suppose if you put your mind to it you will do well but its kind of hard when you have other subjects to study for at the same time.

Look to be honest the whole thing is it takes a while not a long while mind to get into interesting topics in the course. The course then seems less appealing and makes things harder. In my opinion there is no such thing as a weak subject. All it takes is effort i've seen many people think they are weak at a subject but they actually are grand at it it's just laziness and lack of effort. The work loads throughout the course do tend to cause a dampner on spirits because continuous assessments do tend to gather up and programming projects take up a massive amount of time. The projects well designating time for projects would be the hardest aspect of the course in my opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    Look to be honest the whole thing is it takes a while not a long while mind to get into interesting topics in the course. The course then seems less appealing and makes things harder. In my opinion there is no such thing as a weak subject. All it takes is effort i've seen many people think they are weak at a subject but they actually are grand at it it's just laziness and lack of effort. The work loads throughout the course do tend to cause a dampner on spirits because continuous assessments do tend to gather up and programming projects take up a massive amount of time. The projects well designating time for projects would be the hardest aspect of the course in my opinion.

That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. There IS such a thing as a weak subject. In many ways. Fair play to you if your remarkably intelligent, but unfortunately we are not all bright sparks! :) (No offence intended but I get the feeling that people who find subjects difficult are being spoken down to in the above post).

Maths, Physics and Digital Electronics are three hard subjects. Worldwide, everybody knows that the topics in general are pretty tough. You can not dispute that. Its not as easy as you seem to be making out.

When people find a subject weak, they will continue to do so no matter how much time and effort they put in. Yes there are people who are weak because they are not putting in any effort, but not everybody who finds a subject weak do so because they are lazy.

Speaking from experience, I struggled through Maths during secondary school and college. As a result, I am repeating Maths in second year because I am finding it tough. So far, so good - I have passed the first one and hopefully will pass the second one.

Furthermore, when it comes to lecturers - you need someone who knows the subject well but can relate to its class and lecture it in such a way the class is able to grasp. Again, speaking from experience. In secondary school I had a bloody PE Teacher teach Maths. In college, I had a lecturer who clearly knew the subject but was unable to lecture a class that found the subject difficult. This all changed when a lecturer was appointed who COULD do this.

If your finding doing CA hard as a result of several other projects, your lecturer in some of the subjects may give an extension to ease the pressure. However, what I have noticed is a considerable amount of people doing:

1) Nothing until the last minute,
    2) Working on it throughout the year but going over the spec. required.

That, my friend, is a matter of opinion. There IS such a thing as a weak subject. In many ways. Fair play to you if your remarkably intelligent, but unfortunately we are not all bright sparks! :) (No offence intended but I get the feeling that people who find subjects difficult are being spoken down to in the above post).

Maths, Physics and Digital Electronics are three hard subjects. Worldwide, everybody knows that the topics in general are pretty tough. You can not dispute that. Its not as easy as you seem to be making out.

When people find a subject weak, they will continue to do so no matter how much time and effort they put in. Yes there are people who are weak because they are not putting in any effort, but not everybody who finds a subject weak do so because they are lazy.

Speaking from experience, I struggled through Maths during secondary school and college. As a result, I am repeating Maths in second year because I am finding it tough. So far, so good - I have passed the first one and hopefully will pass the second one.

Furthermore, when it comes to lecturers - you need someone who knows the subject well but can relate to its class and lecture it in such a way the class is able to grasp. Again, speaking from experience. In secondary school I had a bloody PE Teacher teach Maths. In college, I had a lecturer who clearly knew the subject but was unable to lecture a class that found the subject difficult. This all changed when a lecturer was appointed who COULD do this.

If your finding doing CA hard as a result of several other projects, your lecturer in some of the subjects may give an extension to ease the pressure. However, what I have noticed is a considerable amount of people doing:

1) Nothing until the last minute,
    2) Working on it throughout the year but going over the spec. required.

To be fair i am not maintaining in any way shape or form that i am remarkably intelligent, on the contrary there are many who would argue against that. I too can be regarded as one of the dimmer sparks among the flock that is applied computing, well at least in my own opinion but i more than make up for it with the amount of study, practice and effort that i put into my subjects. So effectively i level the playing field quiet a bit. The post to which you feel i am looking down at people who find subjects hard is by no means in any way meant to portray that i am of the opinion that anyone finding subjects difficult is any way a lesser person. Regardless i will not get drawn onto as it is a different subject and i feel my point was clear enough and didn't portray what you interpreted, well at least not intentionally.

I am of the opinion be it met with opposition that there is not such a thing as a weak subject. There is however subjects that people tend to get on not so well in because they perhaps don't find the subject interesting enough to immerse themselves in the work and learn it voluntarily. I myself am a student as you well know who found subjects hard in the previous semester. Science seems to be my "weak" subjects but not due to a mental incapacity to do it but rather a distaste for the principal of it. To be fair if people are in the course and not performing as well as they hope in some subjects maybe its because it doesn't appeal to them because quiet frankly you can't have a mental incapacity to a subject. You can however have distaste for the subject. People would not be in the course nor have qualified for the course if they were of the incapacity to learn a subject.

You did indeed repeat and pass maths last september but without going in depth on a public forum it was a lot more to do with the study before the exam rather than the lecturing quality as most of the class had a problem with the way the lectures were conducted so much so that class attendance suffered. But i do believe that when it came to maths last year your external study counted for a lot more education than the lectures did. The lectures merely gave you the information, you learned it. Putting your mind to it and over-coming a "weak" subject comfortably.

Agreed Lecturers play a massive part the way you learn during the course. We have during our short time experienced most of the lecturers that will be available to us when it comes to maths in particular. But still students seem to get thick with lecturers just because they are trying to stimulate us to think in a more profound way. I myself and the only person who would back up a lecturer we had in first year, who was a brilliant mind when it came to his subjects, probably one of the best in the college in his field but just because he tried to stimulate the mind with proper work the class immediately grew a dislike against him. Of course you will have lecturers who are horrible but thats another matter. Students tend to favor the lecturer who does **** all.

With regard to CA, i personally don't find it hard as aside from programming i handle and schedule all my assignments immensely well. It's just that when you have 6 modules and one of those modules, programming, takes up most of your time whilst still working on five other modules assignments the whole thing can get a bit daunting.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To be fair i am not maintaining in any way shape or form that i am remarkably intelligent, on the contrary there are many who would argue against that. I too can be regarded as one of the dimmer sparks among the flock that is applied computing, well at least in my own opinion but i more than make up for it with the amount of study, practice and effort that i put into my subjects. So effectively i level the playing field quiet a bit. The post to which you feel i am looking down at people who find subjects hard is by no means in any way meant to portray that i am of the opinion that anyone finding subjects difficult is any way a lesser person. Regardless i will not get drawn onto as it is a different subject and i feel my point was clear enough and didn't portray what you interpreted, well at least not intentionally.

Well by saying that there is no such thing as a weak subject if you put your mind to it - that to me says otherwise. But if it wasnt intentional, fair enough. Its how I interpeted it.
    I am of the opinion be it met with opposition that there is not such a thing as a weak subject. There is however subjects that people tend to get on not so well in because they perhaps don't find the subject interesting enough to immerse themselves in the work and learn it voluntarily. I myself am a student as you well know who found subjects hard in the previous semester. Science seems to be my "weak" subjects but not due to a mental incapacity to do it but rather a distaste for the principal of it. To be fair if people are in the course and not performing as well as they hope in some subjects maybe its because it doesn't appeal to them because quiet frankly you can't have a mental incapacity to a subject. You can however have distaste for the subject. People would not be in the course nor have qualified for the course if they were of the incapacity to learn a subject.

Covered all this in my original post. There IS such a thing as a weak subject. Maths, Physics and Electronics would always been considered a tough subject and hard to grasp. Some are naturals, some cant get their head around it. I wont go anymore into it, as I already repeated myself.
    You did indeed repeat and pass maths last september but without going in depth on a public forum it was a lot more to do with the study before the exam rather than the lecturing quality as most of the class had a problem with the way the lectures were conducted so much so that class attendance suffered. But i do believe that when it came to maths last year your external study counted for a lot more education than the lectures did. The lectures merely gave you the information, you learned it. Putting your mind to it and over-coming a "weak" subject comfortably.

Incorrect. I put in a **** load of work after college last year in Maths. I got grinds an hour each week until the exams. I did group study with one of the brightest people in the class. We all walked out of that first attempt dumbfounded at how hard it was. The way the course was presented and lectured was completely different (imo) to how it was this year. That made a big difference and got me just above the pass grade. Nothing spectacular, but the change of lecturer and style made a huge difference to understanding it.
    Agreed Lecturers play a massive part the way you learn during the course. We have during our short time experienced most of the lecturers that will be available to us when it comes to maths in particular. But still students seem to get thick with lecturers just because they are trying to stimulate us to think in a more profound way. I myself and the only person who would back up a lecturer we had in first year, who was a brilliant mind when it came to his subjects, probably one of the best in the college in his field but just because he tried to stimulate the mind with proper work the class immediately grew a dislike against him. Of course you will have lecturers who are horrible but thats another matter. Students tend to favor the lecturer who does **** all.

Somewat agree, and somewat disagree. Some lecturers can present the course in a way that helps students get to grips with it. They wont take the attitude of "Ill say it once, and once only" or ignore the students who genuinely are weak at it. Presentation and lecture style plays a HUGE role in how lectures are thought. This is agreed by other Maths lecturers in the college. The lecturer I had the problem with, and the one you refer to are widely known as very good lecturers. Two of the best in the college. I believe WIT has only one other just as good lecturer. However, one of them wasnt the best at explaining Maths to those who are weak and even to those who are good with it (as some of the brightest people who have him as a lecture would agree) and the other people just didnt seem to grasp what he was saying. Perhaps not keeping people in until the last min might have made a difference, starting new topics in the last 5mins, etc. may have helped. The individual is not to bad and I do respect him and think he is very good. He isnt to bad at lecturing, but I couldnt grasp how he was lecturing and I dont put him at fault for that.
    With regard to CA, i personally don't find it hard as aside from programming i handle and schedule all my assignments immensely well. It's just that when you have 6 modules and one of those modules, programming, takes up most of your time whilst still working on five other modules assignments the whole thing can get a bit daunting.

I think they learned from the mistakes from when we did it. The course was relatively new and was considerably changed. Your the second year sitting the new structure.

Covered all this in my original post. There IS such a thing as a weak subject. Maths, Physics and Electronics would always been considered a tough subject and hard to grasp. Some are naturals, some cant get their head around it. I wont go anymore into it, as I already repeated myself.

Sorry but alongside yourself i too was weak in certain areas of last year and i saw it was because of the lecturers anyway.Yes the subjects are hard and tedious but its a Honours Degree in Applied Computing. It is the flagship course for the college like it was never going to be easy. This is what separates it from most of the other courses on offer in the college. This is why any second year student in our course could potentially walk into any other computing course in the college no bother at all and feel right at home. We cover such a diverse amount of topics in our course. I think it is branding in the sense as suggesting that people are "weak" because i myself struggled in the digital electronics module last semester because i detested the thought of doing something that would not be relative to my career path but working hard at it continuously passed me. I think it is all down to a mental block more than anything and that is my opinion.

Incorrect. I put in a **** load of work after college last year in Maths. I got grinds an hour each week until the exams. I did group study with one of the brightest people in the class. We all walked out of that first attempt dumbfounded at how hard it was. The way the course was presented and lectured was completely different (imo) to how it was this year. That made a big difference and got me just above the pass grade. Nothing spectacular, but the change of lecturer and style made a huge difference to understanding it.

Maybe the problem lies there where you went to study. Studying with the brightest in the class is equivalant to jumping in the deep end of the pool without being able to swim. They were always going to be ahead of you. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to study with someone of a similar knowledge of the subject like we did in last semester :) Seemed to work a charm too. Its easier to study with someone you know isn't mr perfect and can explain things in a better way than a higher intellect can. Its all a matter of breaking down the topic. Worked last semester for both of us in my opinion.
    Somewat agree, and somewat disagree. Some lecturers can present the course in a way that helps students get to grips with it. They wont take the attitude of "Ill say it once, and once only" or ignore the students who genuinely are weak at it. Presentation and lecture style plays a HUGE role in how lectures are thought. This is agreed by other Maths lecturers in the college. The lecturer I had the problem with, and the one you refer to are widely known as very good lecturers. Two of the best in the college. I believe WIT has only one other just as good lecturer. However, one of them wasnt the best at explaining Maths to those who are weak and even to those who are good with it (as some of the brightest people who have him as a lecture would agree) and the other people just didnt seem to grasp what he was saying. Perhaps not keeping people in until the last min might have made a difference, starting new topics in the last 5mins, etc. may have helped. The individual is not to bad and I do respect him and think he is very good. He isnt to bad at lecturing, but I couldnt grasp how he was lecturing and I dont put him at fault for that.

For last semester's subject that you are referring to, SOME people found the lecturer in question quite helpful. Others found the lecturer to be a complete bore, highly unorganised and error prone. But i am not getting drawn into bad-mouthing anyone in public. Some of us went to the trouble unknown to the class of actually spending hours on the internet doing their own tutorials, finding their own notes, making there own extra effort outside the class because basically they felt the lectures were a sham which quite frankly was reflected in the attendance to said lecture during the year. It seems to be all coming down to opinions. As for the first year lecturer he could deliver a class, he addressed us in an appropriate manner and tone and compared to another certain lets say unrespectable other member of faculty that displayed public hatred towards the class our first year lecturer was immense. It was mainly a band-wagon thing that he wasn't like just because one or two people didn't like the fact he made comments about a bad mark here or there or late attendance to class. Personnally i would have preferred him last semester. At least we would have gotten notes then and proper feedback on tests.
    I think they learned from the mistakes from when we did it. The course was relatively new and was considerably changed. Your the second year sitting the new structure.

Have they really learned. You know the course-load we had this semester alone. You seen the amount of CA i had to do during easter and indeed up to the very last day of lectures where i still had two projects due and i would be among the quickest in the class for submitting projects. Anyway we were informed on the last tuesday morning of lecturers by a certain faculty member that the CA in the course is currently being nre-assessed by the board of education within the college because it is being handled inappropriately at the moment and you can take that as fact. Maybe the college should assess the students and ask them what they think. It's pretty easy for a lectureer to think their course is the center of the universe and hand out assignments. Not so easy for us when we have like 8 of them due at once. Which quite frankly did happen this year.

• Advertisement

Sorry but alongside yourself i too was weak in certain areas of last year and i saw it was because of the lecturers anyway.Yes the subjects are hard and tedious but its a Honours Degree in Applied Computing. It is the flagship course for the college like it was never going to be easy. This is what separates it from most of the other courses on offer in the college. This is why any second year student in our course could potentially walk into any other computing course in the college no bother at all and feel right at home. We cover such a diverse amount of topics in our course. I think it is branding in the sense as suggesting that people are "weak" because i myself struggled in the digital electronics module last semester because i detested the thought of doing something that would not be relative to my career path but working hard at it continuously passed me. I think it is all down to a mental block more than anything and that is my opinion.

Again, your avoiding my point completely. For some people, yes its a mental block. For others, there just pure lazy. And then for others again, its just a tough subject and they are weak at it. Its a fact, people can find Maths or Physics weak way back in Primary school and countless hours of study, grinds with stupid and bright people etc. makes **** all of a difference. Id prefer you didnt generalise as clearly you have no clue. I find it insulting you think people are just lazy and thats why its weak. Apologises for getting personal, but I am actually insulted at what your saying.
    Maybe the problem lies there where you went to study. Studying with the brightest in the class is equivalant to jumping in the deep end of the pool without being able to swim. They were always going to be ahead of you. Perhaps it would have been a better idea to study with someone of a similar knowledge of the subject like we did in last semester :) Seemed to work a charm too. Its easier to study with someone you know isn't mr perfect and can explain things in a better way than a higher intellect can. Its all a matter of breaking down the topic. Worked last semester for both of us in my opinion.

Okay then lets go by that logic. You do realise that the two lecturers in question are two of the brighest in the college. A lot of people seem to find how they teach Maths difficult, regardless of study. Going by your logic, we should have students teaching us Maths who found the subject that bit weaker. Yet, you seem to contradict yourself and blame the students for lack of effort?!

Moving on, as I said earlier - I did better last year not because I studied with yourself or anyone else. You will remember I gave up studying with you as work simply wasnt being done! ;) Also, you will also remember I was getting grinds in the subject from the college. This plus how the lecturuer approached and lectured the material compared to last year was a big difference and was the making in getting my pass. This argument has already been agreed upon by many different Maths lecturers that I have met in the course of my life so far (and yes, I know a lot :P).
    For last semester's subject that you are referring to, SOME people found the lecturer in question quite helpful. Others found the lecturer to be a complete bore, highly unorganised and error prone.

Ah I can see where there coming from. But to be fair, yourself and himself seemed to have a special bond. You got on very well with him.
    But i am not getting drawn into bad-mouthing anyone in public. Some of us went to the trouble unknown to the class of actually spending hours on the internet doing their own tutorials, finding their own notes, making there own extra effort outside the class because basically they felt the lectures were a sham which quite frankly was reflected in the attendance to said lecture during the year.

A boring lecturer will drive anyone away from his class. ;) If your in his class 90% of the time and have to resort to such much after school study getting other notes because you cant get your head around his - it doesnt say very much about the lecturer!
    It seems to be all coming down to opinions. As for the first year lecturer he could deliver a class, he addressed us in an appropriate manner and tone and compared to another certain lets say unrespectable other member of faculty that displayed public hatred towards the class our first year lecturer was immense. It was mainly a band-wagon thing that he wasn't like just because one or two people didn't like the fact he made comments about a bad mark here or there or late attendance to class. Personnally i would have preferred him last semester. At least we would have gotten notes then and proper feedback on tests.

Well the second lecturer you refer to would be the one whome I have my issues with. The first one was just his teaching style didnt suit the class and a lot of other classes also.
    Have they really learned. You know the course-load we had this semester alone. You seen the amount of CA i had to do during easter and indeed up to the very last day of lectures where i still had two projects due and i would be among the quickest in the class for submitting projects. Anyway we were informed on the last tuesday morning of lecturers by a certain faculty member that the CA in the course is currently being nre-assessed by the board of education within the college because it is being handled inappropriately at the moment and you can take that as fact. Maybe the college should assess the students and ask them what they think. It's pretty easy for a lectureer to think their course is the center of the universe and hand out assignments. Not so easy for us when we have like 8 of them due at once. Which quite frankly did happen this year.

Well I think its not as bad, but maybe thats because im not as invovled as I used to be. As for student opinions, they did the survey which people ignored.

Ah I can see where there coming from. But to be fair, yourself and himself seemed to have a special bond. You got on very well with him.

A boring lecturer will drive anyone away from his class. ;) If your in his class 90% of the time and have to resort to such much after school study getting other notes because you cant get your head around his - it doesnt say very much about the lecturer!

Well the second lecturer you refer to would be the one whome I have my issues with. The first one was just his teaching style didnt suit the class and a lot of other classes also.

Well I think its not as bad, but maybe thats because im not as invovled as I used to be. As for student opinions, they did the survey which people ignored.

First of all your on the wrong track the lecturer that i do supposedly have a personal bond with is not the lecturer i am on about in it. The lecturer that i am on about in it that only some people found helpful was the lecturer that we had for matcmatics last semester. Apart from yourself possibly, even though she the test was messed up, the entire class were not of the consensus that she did us any justice. You have intrepreted the reply the wrong way. Reread it because it is about a different lecturer. It was last semesters class that i had to do all the extra work for in my own private time external to college because i felt the appropriate content was not being taught in the course.
    Again, your avoiding my point completely. For some people, yes its a mental block. For others, there just pure lazy. And then for others again, its just a tough subject and they are weak at it. Its a fact, people can find Maths or Physics weak way back in Primary school and countless hours of study, grinds with stupid and bright people etc. makes **** all of a difference. Id prefer you didnt generalise as clearly you have no clue. I find it insulting you think people are just lazy and thats why its weak. Apologises for getting personal, but I am actually insulted at what your saying.

Ok well fair enough you seem to think you are weak at the subjects but i studied with you and it's nothing more concise notes couldn't fix. Not concise notes on your part but on the lecturers part. Some people are overflooded with information in notes yes it is hard to take in but when breaking down notes which we did do alot of last year we can easily pass any subject. Remember last year going into digital electronics was my "weakest" subject
    by a mile but by spending time on the notes identifing key areas the weakness disappeared and i turned my so called weakest subject into my strongest scoring 85%. Surely that has to be indication that this weakness thing can be overthrown. I mean i just idnt show up for classes because i couldn't grasp a thing she was talking about.

Apologies if the comment insulted you or implied insult, definitely not the intention. Buy no means was it a criticism of anybody's intelligence as in our class i could hardly comment myself as one of the "excellent" to be fair.

And yes we did have to be split up but only on one occasion as it was a long day, stress building up and procrastination set in. I don't see the point there though. Studying with peers on par with one's self is proven to work better than getting the smartest person in the class to help. I have experienced it first hand. Maybe i'm the thick one if i need someone to describe and convey things to me in laymans terms but i learn a hell of a lot more that way that listening to some lecturer who barely has half a clue go on about some notes that aren't even proof read and then spending in some cases 10 minutes of class time fixing errors in said lecturers notes. Pardon me if that seems radical or whatever but i have in modules last semester and indeed this semester that given the cirriculum syylabus for the course i can teach myself far better than any other lecturer could in some subjects obviously not all of them. Its a shame students feel they have to do this themselves but they are not receiving the adequate education in class so you cannot blame them. Anyways as said above i apologise for insult caused, which was not intentional or meant to cause offense but it truly, honestly is my opinion that there is no such things as a weak subject.There are subjects that require more effort but hey thats just my point of view :)

First of all your on the wrong track the lecturer that i do supposedly have a personal bond with is not the lecturer i am on about in it. The lecturer that i am on about in it that only some people found helpful was the lecturer that we had for matcmatics last semester. Apart from yourself possibly, even though she the test was messed up, the entire class were not of the consensus that she did us any justice. You have intrepreted the reply the wrong way. Reread it because it is about a different lecturer. It was last semesters class that i had to do all the extra work for in my own private time external to college because i felt the appropriate content was not being taught in the course.

Fair enough. The lecturer in question wasnt outstanding but a lot better then what I had when I did the subject. The lecturer I refered to in my original message is indeed a good lecturer but unfortuantely his teaching style left many more confused leaving the class then when they went in. I dont particular blame him though. Compared to the lecturer we both met and you instantly had a dislike towards as a result of his comments.

Ok well fair enough you seem to think you are weak at the subjects but i studied with you and it's nothing more concise notes couldn't fix. Not concise notes on your part but on the lecturers part. Some people are overflooded with information in notes yes it is hard to take in but when breaking down notes which we did do alot of last year we can easily pass any subject. Remember last year going into digital electronics was my "weakest" subject
    by a mile but by spending time on the notes identifing key areas the weakness disappeared and i turned my so called weakest subject into my strongest scoring 85%. Surely that has to be indication that this weakness thing can be overthrown. I mean i just idnt show up for classes because i couldn't grasp a thing she was talking about.

For you, extra study worked. For me, it got me the pass but nothing spectacular. I did more hours in Maths or Electronics then you did and you got much higher then me. Some people are weak and study works, others study works a small bit but not much. My point still stands: There IS such a thing as a weak subject REGARDLESS of how much study you put in! It depends on the person, the material and the lecturer.
    And yes we did have to be split up but only on one occasion as it was a long day, stress building up and procrastination set in. I don't see the point there though. Studying with peers on par with one's self is proven to work better than getting the smartest person in the class to help. I have experienced it first hand. Maybe i'm the thick one if i need someone to describe and convey things to me in laymans terms but i learn a hell of a lot more that way that listening to some lecturer who barely has half a clue go on about some notes that aren't even proof read and then spending in some cases 10 minutes of class time fixing errors in said lecturers notes. Pardon me if that seems radical or whatever but i have in modules last semester and indeed this semester that given the cirriculum syylabus for the course i can teach myself far better than any other lecturer could in some subjects obviously not all of them. Its a shame students feel they have to do this themselves but they are not receiving the adequate education in class so you cannot blame them. Anyways as said above i apologise for insult caused, which was not intentional or meant to cause offense but it truly, honestly is my opinion that there is no such things as a weak subject.There are subjects that require more effort but hey thats just my point of view :)

Iv met remarkably intelligent people in my lifetime so far. Some of whome are well able to understand Maths and Physics like its a "piece of piss" (your favourite saying ;)) and can teach this to a class of people who are weak at the subject and people who are excellent. Then there are the same people who can not teach the less brighter people in the class (with regards to the Maths). This applies to some lecturers and students I have studied with. The student I studied with was very good and explained things as simple as possible but it was just very hard to grasp. I studied with the people in the same boat as me, and it made no difference.

At the end of the day Dan, there IS such a thing as a weak subject and I will object strongly to someone who blaims the students "lack of study" or "lack of work" - whichever way you want to phrase it. From experience myself and from dealing with others in the same boat. In general though, its well known that some people can grasp Maths and Physics easily with little or no study and others who put in a lot of effort and cant get by as easy. I can only assume you grew up in classes with lazy students and this has limited your view a bit. :)

Anyway, thats all im defending. I just dont appreciate those comments and I will object to them being made. :)

Fair enough. The lecturer in question wasnt outstanding but a lot better then what I had when I did the subject. The lecturer I refered to in my original message is indeed a good lecturer but unfortuantely his teaching style left many more confused leaving the class then when they went in. I dont particular blame him though. Compared to the lecturer we both met and you instantly had a dislike towards as a result of his comments.

yeah that other lad is a plonker... brilliant or not its useless to him now.
    At the end of the day Dan, there IS such a thing as a weak subject and I will object strongly to someone who blaims the students "lack of study" or "lack of work" - whichever way you want to phrase it. From experience myself and from dealing with others in the same boat. In general though, its well known that some people can grasp Maths and Physics easily with little or no study and others who put in a lot of effort and cant get by as easy. I can only assume you grew up in classes with lazy students and this has limited your view a bit. :)

Anyway, thats all im defending. I just dont appreciate those comments and I will object to them being made. :)

Quiet the opposite i was the thicko if you will when it came to the science subjects and found the extra work did work. I refused to belief it was my weak subject. so thats my argurment :) I belief work pays off and thats my way of life. As you know by me im a perfectionist and work to the most intricate detail, e.g spell checking :)

But lo and behold this conversation must stop now because alas we have strayed of the topic of this thread :) I think we can safely say we don't meet eye to eye on this :)

Quiet the opposite i was the thicko if you will when it came to the science subjects and found the extra work did work. I refused to belief it was my weak subject. so thats my argurment :) I belief work pays off and thats my way of life. As you know by me im a perfectionist and work to the most intricate detail, e.g spell checking :)

But lo and behold this conversation must stop now because alas we have strayed of the topic of this thread :) I think we can safely say we don't meet eye to eye on this :)

As I said earlier.. everyone is different. Some can do it with an extra bit of study and others cant. I see both sides even though im the one with doing more study still finding it hard. Unfortunately your basing your opinion on your experience and ignoring general facts. Alas, such is life!

Lets just agree to disagree on this one.

• Advertisement

This topic will serve the discussion of whether there is such a thing as a "weak subject" in regards to the BSc. Applied Computings Physics with Computing, Maths (all such Maths subjects in the course) and Digital Electronics. The topic contains posts (previous to this post) split from a previous topic which derailed into this discussion which will continue in here.

In the interests of everyone, there will be no personal remarks about any particular individuals ability to study or lack of study throughout the year to prove a point. Lets discuss this fairly and civily. I have deleted posts that were getting to personal. Lets attack the post and not the poster. (If iv missed a post, let me know).

I think so far iv summed up my opinon fairly clearly and so has Danny. We dont agree with a lot, but agree in areas. Others are more then welcome to add their comments and discuss the argument in general.

:)

Advertisement