Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 15-05-2008 1:03am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have googled this but cant get an answer so I said I would try here.

My brother is getting a car next week and he wants my dad to insurance on hes car and then put my brother as a named driver.

He suggested my dad take out a new policy on my brothers car whilst keeping the other policy on hes own car.

So Im wondering is it legal to have two different insurance policys on two different cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    So Im wondering is it legal to have two different insurance policys on two different cars?

It's probably the only way to be insured if you own two cars, unless you have a dealer's policy.

Not too sure, but his NCB may start at 0 as they are different policies.

Personally I'd recommend that your brother bites the bullet and gets his own policy and get that no claims bonus started.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

AFAIK you can have as many policies as you want, but cant use NCB on all of them for some reason.

As above, bit the bullet and get his own policy, build NCB, get full license (if he doesnt already have it) and then start to get into affordable motoring!! In all seriousness, though, there will be a pooint where he has to pay the high 'first policy' premium so might aswell do it as early as possible.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well hes on a provisional and 2000e is a little high for him right now

Im gussing being a named driver doesnt add a NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Trampas

even as a named driver doesn't mean you will have a NCB after a couple of years as he doesn't use the car full time (Supposedly).

I think I remember a while ago about been a named driver on a car and having a accident and if main driver not in car technical you are not cover or along does lines. Never see an insurance company invoking it though.

What age is he to be paying €2000? what car is it? I would suggest if its any bigger than say a 1.2 then he should reconsider the choice. Should get a cheap enough low powered car to keep for a year or so with insurance that isn't so ridiculous. The most beneficial in the long run will be to get his own car and get started with his own NCB and policy. If it means driving around in a micra for a year then so be it.

Although with the july d-day looming, maybe he'd be better off just being a named driver on your dad's car, (not getting his own) as the gardai are expected to clamp down on unaccompanied provisional drivers.

Some insurance companies kind of recognise named driving experience and give a (small) discount, but its not an NCB as such.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

masseyno9 wrote: »
    What age is he to be paying €2000? what car is it? I would suggest if its any bigger than say a 1.2 then he should reconsider the choice. Should get a cheap enough low powered car to keep for a year or so with insurance that isn't so ridiculous.

I would have been thrilled to get a quote for €2000 a few years ago.

A few years ago, yes, but insurance has come down a good bit in the past few years. My first insurance, 2 years ago was on a micra on a first provisional, aged 19, live in dublin and was €1200 so I reckon €1500 would be a reasonable target for anyone, factoring in a reasonable choice of cars. Cheaper again maybe if its outside dublin.

My plan was to keep the cost for the first year as low as possible; cheap car (incase i dinged it), cheapest possible insurance, and now have a nicer car which i pay similar insurance to my first year because i have my own NCB and full license.

Makes sense from my point of view anyway!

OP check the cost of your dad being insured with the bro as a named driver, it may not be that much cheaper, as the bro as a named driver will still add a decent amount to your dad's premium which may be quite high due to him not being able to carry over NCB on 2 cars.

Advertisement