Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layers of Paint Removal

Options
  • 15-05-2008 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the correct forum, if it's not or better suited elsewhere can a mod move it, thanks :)

I need to strip down an outdoor garden wall so I can repaint it. It's currently peeling in places and flaking where the paint is tinner. There's easily 5 layers of paint from over the years on it, hopefully not much lead :P. I've tried using chemicals (just a cheap tin of some paint remover) and a wire brush, that had very little success. I then tried a heat gun and wire brush, slowly works, but would take days. I've even tried a sander but with limited success, the wall's too bumpy and uneven for it to work properly.

Can anyone recommend a good chemical or technique for removing the paint?

Thanks,
    -Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can you name of cheapo paint remover? If only to rule that brand out! :)

http://www.paint-stripper.co.uk/removall_paint_stripper_product_info.htm

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

have you tried a power washer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

the cheapo stuff was Nitro mores, but I think it may have been a knock off. cost less than 5euro :P

would power washing be strong enough to remove paint that's heavily layered on?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

If you rent a decent washer for a day
    it'll take any loose or half loose paint off
    they only draw back is the clean up of the paint that has been removed(flakes of paint every where).
    You'd be surprised how much it will remove
    make sure you have the wellies, oil skins and glasses.

Advertisement