Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you 'look out for'?

• 15-05-2008 4:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

So it's pretty obvious who most people here support but who is your 'second' team and whose results do you look out for at the weekend? Is there any reason why that particular team?

For me -

Ireland - Shelbourne - Was a regular at their games in my school days and got to a fair few games through college and before I left home. Supported them for as long as I've supported City, since 1989. I'll be taking in a game or two in possible in February.

England - Leeds United/Wycombe Wanderers - Dad's a Leeds fan. Had a soft sport for Wycombe since the Martin O'Neill/Steve Guppy days when they got all those promotions.

Italy - Juventus - Loved the days of Del Piero, Zidane, Ravanelli, Vialli, Deschamps, Ferrara, Peruzzi etc.

Spain - Barcelona - Cause of Xavi obviously

Portugal - FC Porto - Cause of Quaresma

USA - Chicago Fire - Lived in Chicago for a while and went to see them play.

Australia - Perth Glory - City where I was born and where I live now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fulham: They have Brian McBride.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ireland - Bray Wanderers - used go to there games!

Italy - Lazio - Just got to like them form watching italian highlights on c4 i think as a kid.

Spain - Getafe - Only got to liking them this year rarely get to see them play though

England - Aldershot - 2nd team i look out for is the Shots! now in the Football league! Premiership football soon!

France - PSG - Cant remember why

Scotland - Raith Rovers - Uncle supports them and im not supportin Celtic!

Holland - Ajax - Used to play football that was great to watch so i watched them more!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Fulham: They have Brian McBride.
    Why do you like Mcbride so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

for me i always look out for Darlington cos when i was younger i played a game of champ manager and got darlington from the 3rd division to mid table mediocrity in the 1st division(2nd tier).

Barca, just class arent they in fairness. From the rivaldo and luis enrique, figo days to now.

Juve of course. same reasons as xavi

Hearts in the scottish league. Won the title with them in champ manager!!!!

chdpoker wrote: »
    Why do you like Mcbride so much?

I admire his honesty and work rate on the pitch; I feel he is one of the most intelligent strikers I have seen play in the premiership (his movement and positioning is amazing); and ultimately love the way he has maximised his limited technical and physical attributes to carve out a very decent career for himself.

I find it easier to relate to players who are where they are through grit and determination and who truly earn their paycheck week in and week out - both through their toil on the pitch but also their professionalism off it. McBride is a great example of the way footballers should be imo.

Plus, he isn't one to shy from the big games. Most people prolly wouldn't have bothered watching USA / Italy in the last world cup (the battle of Kaiserslauten as it was labeled by the media). Anyway, the US spent most of the game with 9 men but sneaked a 1 - 1 draw. McBride turned in a mammoth performance and ran himself into the ground up front on his own. Throughout the game he constantly harried and chased and snapped away - while still managing to pose an outlet for the US with what little possession they had. That is the type of thing I can get on board with.

My fav players in the premiership at the moment after McBride would be:

Hamman
    Kuyt
    Friedal

Ye can keep the Ronaldos and Gerrards of this world.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I admire his honesty and work rate on the pitch; I feel he is one of the most intelligent strikers I have seen play in the premiership (his movement and positioning is amazing); and ultimately love the way he has maximised his limited technical and physical attributes to carve out a very decent career for himself.

I find it easier to relate to players who are where they are through grit and determination and who truly earn their paycheck week in and week out - both through their toil on the pitch but also their professionalism off it. McBride is a great example of the way footballers should be imo.

Plus, he isn't one to shy from the big games. Most people prolly wouldn't have bothered watching USA / Italy in the last world cup (the battle of Kaiserslauten as it was labeled by the media). Anyway, the US spent most of the game with 9 men but sneaked a 1 - 1 draw. McBride turned in a mammoth performance and ran himself into the ground up front on his own. Throughout the game he constantly harried and chased and snapped away - while still managing to pose an outlet for the US with what little possession they had. That is the type of thing I can get on board with.

My fav players in the premiership at the moment after McBride would be:

Hamman
    Kuyt
    Friedal

Ye can keep the Ronaldos and Gerrards of this world.
    couldn't agree with you more, good post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

my fav players in the premiership at the moment after McBride would be:

Hamman
    Kuyt
    Friedal

Ye can keep the Ronaldos and Gerrards of this world.[/QUOTE]

so you would sell gerard before you would sell kuyt!!!

im sorry but id rather you were admiring him as a man city player...

a team of kuyts im afraid would not win you the premiership. a team of gerards would walk it imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cambridge United
    I check their scores every week. The only reason I support them is I used to play Champioship Manager on the PC and always picked them.
    I check their website and maybe I'll go see them one day.

Sampdoria
    Supported them back when RTE showed Italian football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

micmclo wrote: »
    Cambridge United
    I check their scores every week. The only reason I support them is I used to play Champioship Manager on the PC and always picked them.
    I check their website and maybe I'll go see them one day.

Are you a fellow member of the 'Tom Youngs Fan Club'?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Italy: I just keep an eye on the top of the table really
    Spain: My cousin supports Barcelona, so I check Barce and Real's results every week; they usually give me good ammo for slagging him :D

That's about all I look out for! Gonna pick a team for the Euros this summer, so I'll be looking out for them so I can win some moneh ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

England - West Ham, Spurs and Sheffield Wednesday - Thats quite a few

Italy - Look out for Juventus as they have been my fave side in Itally since I was a kid.

Holland- Ajax are my favourite club on Par with Man U

Spain- Real Madrid , supported them since the Seedorf days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I just like to keep up with the various leagues and stuff, as the guys above say from the days of channel 4 Italian Football I used to admire players more than the actual clubs, Batistuta, Del Piero, Maldini, Baggio ,Baresi, Rui Costa etc. So Serie A would be who I'd look at most of, keeping a close eye on AC Milan (because i lived in milan for few months) and Juve (because of Del Piero and nowadays Momo Sissoko :D)*

Sites like 101greatgoals etc make it much easier for following the results and seeing the goals!

*And yes i do understand the irony of following two deadly rivals!

Oh yeah and Longford Town! Used to go to the games when I was younger and had nothing better to do on a Saturday night, the switch to summer time football completely ruled out any chance I had to go watch them because of work and GAA commitments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Teams I keep an eye on and love to see do well:

Barcelona
    Werder Bremen (founder member of the Irish Werder Bremen Supporters Club of Ireland)
    Juventus
    Sporting Lisbon
    FC United (3rd straight promotion this seaon!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Teams I keep an eye for .

Ireland Bohemians I go to as many home games as I can still to this day.

England Torquay Utd(Fawlty Towers) and Wolves.

Italy Juventus (exact same reason as you Xavi)

Spain I watch it in general but no real team. Deportivo maybe if pushed.

Australia Perth Glory.(I lived there and went to most games when they were at home drinking Carlton Mild I think it was)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Gotta love the Gulls!!!

Abroad it's Inter (bro supported AC so it seemed like the way to go, winning nothing with Vieri and ronaldo up top proved that defense wins titles!). Also have a soft spot for Dortmund although I think that was cause I was a bit obsessed with Sammer. I was convinced he was better than Maldini... he was good but not that good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Aw, here was I expecting a thread about which posters you have a mancrush on. :(

I keep an eye on the Arsenal reserves and youth sides. Ireland too, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Ireland - Wexford Youths

England - Liverpool

Scotland - Celtic

Spain - Barcelona

Those are me favourites....

Ones of look out for, not many other that those 2 apart from Atletico Madrid and possibly Auxerre.

Ireland - Bray - my mate plays for them

England - Newcastle, though im a pool fan I have an ol soft spot for the Magpies. My mate has two season tickets and we go over to alot of games. Atmosphere in St James is class. Barmy Army, TOON TOON :). Was cheering for them to get out of that relegation mess they nearly got into.

Italy - Milan , Always used to watch football Italia around the time Baggio played for them & always keep an eye out for them since.

Spain - Barca - Not so much this year tbh, but watching them last year when Ronaldinho and Messi were both on form was great.

Great post about McBride Lloyd - not so many players like him nowadays. Hamman as you said is another great example. Changed that final for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Ireland: Dundalk FC obviously because i'm from there. Went to all the home games as a kid with my Dad (who worked on his summer holidays from school in the 60's building the stand in Oriel!!) so saw some good times and some great players (Alan O'Neill, Gino Lawless, Terry Eviston etc). Still a massive fan, and look forward to seeing them back in the Premier soon.

England: Liverpool. Since I was a kid so never contemplated any other team. In recent years I have always looked out for Swansea's results as well. Have a very good friend from there who is a massive passionate Swans fan. He reciprocates my interest in his team by going online and checking to see how Dundalk are going.

Italy: Parma / Sampdoria

Spain: Barca / Salamanca in the 2nd Division. Former housmate from there and went to see them play a few years ago.

France: Lyon

Germany: Dortmund

US: LA Galaxy!!:D

Australia: Sydney FC (even thou they're pure sh1te..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Ireland - Finn Harps (Grew up in DOnegal)
    England - Everton (My best mate as a kid supported them)
    Italy - Sampdoria (Always like them as a kid)
    Brazil - Botafogo (went to see them play at the Maracanna, loved their fans)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Spain: Barca - Cause I have the shirt

France - Lyon and Montpellier - cause I have the shirts & I love Montpellier city

Italy - Roma - Don't know why really, hate Lazio.

Ireland - Bray & Kildare County - reletives from there, live there.

England - I kinda like Liverpool (sometimes), cause of previous champ. league exploits, and they annoy the **** out of most man utd & chelsea fans.

I'm a Newcastle fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Ireland - Edenmore Celtic - Local team when i grew up, still go to some games

Spain - Always look out for Malaga in the results. Hoping to get promoted to La Liga next year, 5 games left, second in the table, 4 points clear of third but have lost last two games. Ive been to three games this year, cracking atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Ireland: St. Pats- my cousin played for them in the 80's and i kept going after that.

Italy: Napoli- Maradona was playing for them in 1985ish and i used to watch highlights on the telly great stuff.

Holland: Ajax- played great football with great players, similar to my italian choice rte i think had dutch and itailian highlights every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

England - Leeds United.
    In the EPL money circus, I am fond of any club that can worry/give a Big Four global franchise a bloody nose, and for me Pompey play that up in most style.
    Villa too, though the price of success is that they're in danger of becoming 'one of them'

Under glance-at-results & cheer-for-if-on-the-telly...

Spain - Barcelona, of course

Holland - Ajax

Italy - would be Milan but couldn't be with its current owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ireland: Shamrock Rovers: My team.

England: Liverpool: Followed them since I was four.

Italy: Foggia: Went to see them play in Pugglia on a school tour around the time they were in Serie A. Great game, and I've been back a couple of times since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

AFC wimbledon,

used to go to plough lane (wimbledon FC ground up to the 80's) as a kid with my dad, born and brought up within a few miles of it, but aways supported liverpool, still kept an eye on wimbledon in the leauge though after they started ground sharing with crystal palace, and up untill they became a francise and moved and renamed as MK Dons, then lost all interest in them,

once AFC were formed 6 seasons ago have always kept an eye on them, have seen them play when over in london, and they just got promoted (3rd time in their 6 seasons) to the conference south

waiting keenly until AFC wimbledon meet MK dons in a cup or even a leauge match, that will be a big one in SW london

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

irish-stew wrote: »
    AFC wimbledon,

used to go to plough lane (wimbledon FC ground up to the 80's) as a kid with my dad, born and brought up within a few miles of it, but aways supported liverpool, still kept an eye on wimbledon in the leauge though after they started ground sharing with crystal palace, and up untill they became a francise and moved and renamed as MK Dons, then lost all interest in them,

once AFC were formed 6 seasons ago have always kept an eye on them, have seen them play when over in london, and they just got promoted (3rd time in their 6 seasons) to the conference south

waiting keenly until AFC wimbledon meet MK dons in a cup or even a leauge match, that will be a big one in SW london

What league did AFC Wimbledon start in, and what are the factors of deciding where a team starts?

FC United clinched their 3rd successive promotion about 2 weeks ago, and will be int he Unibond Premier Division next season which is the level below Conference North/South. How did AFC wimbledon get there in 3 promotions but it will take FC United 4?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ireland - St. Pat's - They were my local team for a couple of years, then I moved into Shelbourne territory, but I couldn't just switch allegiances...

Italy - Juventus "my" team since the mid-80s.

Spain - Atletico; I hate Real and don't have much love for Barça, like the stripes

Holland - PSV, my local team for 4 years

France - OM, my local team

'England' - Swansea, can't remember why, but probably something to do with Subbuteo

Scotland - Hamilton Academicals - I just like the sound of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,131 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tauren wrote: »
    What league did AFC Wimbledon start in, and what are the factors of deciding where a team starts?

FC United clinched their 3rd successive promotion about 2 weeks ago, and will be int he Unibond Premier Division next season which is the level below Conference North/South. How did AFC wimbledon get there in 3 promotions but it will take FC United 4?

this suggests they've been promoted 4 times:

CCL1->CCLP->IL1->ILP->CS

so they're 2 promotions from League2

I think some areas of England, the pyramid starts from a lower level. As the various leagues are seperate organisations, theoretically they can admit whoever they like, but in practise they probably need FA approval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

England Manchester United used to support them untill Rovers started becoming more and more part of my life and I realised I didnt truly care if they win or lost , still like their style of play though

Italy Sampdoria , From the old Gazzeta days I supported them from their era of Mannini , Mancini Lombardo et al.

Spain Atletico - Went to see them this year at the Vicente Calderon , was a great experience ,like the idea of a calamitous club who managed to **** it up at every given opportunity :D

I kept an eye on Dunfermlines results when they were managed by Stephen Kenny also would tend to keep an eye on any ex Rovers/eL players abroad

Ireland - Bohs as my Dad grew up beside Dalymount, wouldnt follow them tho, just look to see where they are

England - Fulham (dunno why), Spurs and Hull EDIT. Cant believe I forgot FC United. I guess when u NEVER see them on TV it can slip the mind.

Italy - Juventus - went to a Juve match in 2000 when Zidane, Davids, Trezeguet, Del Piero, Inzaghi etc were all playing - liked them ever since

Spain - Barcelona, hands down. I love Barcelona. I would appreciate the fact that Ive been to one of their matches so much more if it wasnt that they were playing United!!

Holland - Ajax - dream team in the mid 90's and Ive been to one of their games in the Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

England: No-one apart from Man United

Italy: Roma, cos de rossi is a legend

Spain: Deportivo(back when they had tristan, pandiani, luque and victor they were awesome)

Ireland: Waterford United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I support 1. FC Köln in Germany (just been promoted back to Bundesliga 1) because I lived there, but that's about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ireland - Shels my first team I support.

Then for the teams I look out for:

Poland - Wislaw Krakow.
    Serbia - Red Star Belgrade.
    Portugal - Porto.
    France - Nice.
    England - Aldershot Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

England Torquay United. Was born there but they are far too crap to warrant proper support

Italy I support Juve on an equal footing as Chelsea and the games are all on Betfair so it's not hard to keep up. Having said that I have a massive massive soft spot for Roma. Totti is my favourite player, love De Rossi and was at a Rome Derby that ended 5-1.

[BGermany[/B] Hamburg, mainly because I find myself wih money on them quite a bit.

ScotlandRangers, only due to my intense dislike of celtic fans such as Oh no you didnt

• Advertisement

mormank wrote: »
    so you would sell gerard before you would sell kuyt!!!

im sorry but id rather you were admiring him as a man city player...

a team of kuyts im afraid would not win you the premiership. a team of gerards would walk it imo

Of course. But if you read my post you'll see that I favour players on the basis of the workrate they put in and the way they carry themselves first and foremost. Of course Gerrard is a beast. But I never feel shortchanged by Kuyt.

I can accept that the best players are the best players. But that doesn't mean they have to be my fav players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fulham FC: I live somewhat nearby Craven Cottage, so go see some games every so often. They're a nice 'family' club. Also hugely admire McBride, Clint and Jimmeh!

Chicago Fire: I, too, was in Chicago for a summer, so managed to catch a few games. Thought Beasely would be the next big thing!

Cagliari: Cos I always try manage them in Football Manager (and then spectauclarly fail) ;)

Dundee Utd: Dad's side of the family are from Dundee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I have a soft spot for Barcelona. They are about the nearest thing to a second team for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

England- QPR used to live in Shepherd's Bush so often went tosee them play.
    Spain-Barca because of their suppressed past
    Ireland-Athlone Town nearest team 13 miles away but so crap these days
    Italy-Milan after the Dutch Trio of the late 80's early 90's
    Scotland-Celtic (2nd Favourite team) and ahem Queen of the South :o for some reason I liked the name as a child. So obviously would be a very sweet victory if they won the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Parma - the glory days of Buffon, Thuram, D.Baggio, Cannavaro, Chiesa, Asprilla, Zola, Crespo and Brolin.

Werder Bremen - relatives from Bremen.

Spain - Barca

England - ManU, basically the same reasons as Gustavo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

England Aston Villa

Italy AC.Milan, watched a game when i was back whe the deutch trio of Van Basten, Rijkaard & Ruud gullit. started watching when they were 3-0 down to Cagliari (i think) at half time, seriously loved the football they were playing and decided to make them my italien team. they drew 3-3 and then C4 showed the seria table and Milan were around 10points clear (was really happy i picked them prior to seing that).

ScotlandCeltic, honestly the "Irish connection" kinda got me at the start when i was young but its more my dislike for Rangers fans, there behaviour, and there attitude towards Irish people due to the Celtic rivalry that made me continue to wish Celtic success.

Argentina Boca Juniors, when I worked for TransWorldSport I was the one who cut and scripted the pieces on the Torneo Apertura in Argentina. And after a while of viewing all the tapes and game reports before choosing the game of the week I would just pick the Boca game every week as they had the best matches generally, the best stadium/atmosphere (la bombonera), and more... was always interesting people in the crowd to pick out too from Maradona to the Bush twins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

America New York Red Bulls - Lived in new jersey for a while so they were the best around

France Bordeaux - Not cause of the boards team :p Interested in seeing how Laurent Blanc is getting on in management.

Italy Juve - Only after they got relegated. Was interested to see how they coped/rebounded.

England QPR - Dad follows them, even more fun to check on now with all the rumours and money :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

my team: United, theyve been THE team while i was growing up, Cantona was my first real footballing hero.

other pl side: villa atm for the martin o neil factor, friend of mine supports them so i talk to him about villa games all the time, like watching the development of some of their bright young stars.

italy: inter, pro evo made me stand out and notice this team, like all their players, favourites being cambiasso, recoba, ibra, like materazzi because he is a pantomim-esque villian.

Spain - took a liking to Real Madrid after United sold my favourite player - Ruud, and have keept an eye of them ever since.

/edit, also following the progress of Huntleear at Ajax recently, after he was linked with united, hope we get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

for me its Napoli, and Boca Juniors.

ehhh and the west coast eagles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

I support 1. FC Köln in Germany (just been promoted back to Bundesliga 1) because I lived there, but that's about it really.

+1. I got a lend of a season ticket from a mate for half of last season and went to a good few of their home games. Atmosphere was always electric, particularly in the Kurven and the stadium was always close to full. I can't wait to see Helmes in the Bundesliga, but hopefully it's with FC Köln.

I'm a Man United supporter first and foremost but have a bit of a soft spot for:

Spain - It's got to be Barça. I've done a fair bit of reading about the history of the club etc and you really can't help but like them. Been to a few games this season aswell but not as much as I'd have liked. I love watching Iniesta play aswell.

Ireland - Definitely Shels. I go to the odd game when I'm at home, although I haven't been in Tolka Park in quite a while. Seeing that Dave Rogers goal against Hajduk Split is one of my fondest football memories.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

An Citeog wrote: »
    +1. I got a lend of a season ticket from a mate for half of last season and went to a good few of their home games. Atmosphere was always electric, particularly in the Kurven and the stadium was always close to full. I can't wait to see Helmes in the Bundesliga, but hopefully it's with FC Köln.

He will be playing for Leverkusen next year unfortunately. Could really have done with him in Bundesliga 1.

I agree with the atmosphere. I was there the last year they went down (was at the Hamburg game when they were relegated) and even though the results were poor, the crowds were always big and vibrant. A good stadium + being able to buy beer at a game too.

Then there's the price, was only €20 in to get alright tickets, free transport the day of the game. Just a really good place to watch football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Barcelona - Patrick Kluivert was one of my favourite players growing up and I often watched him for Barcelona. Absolutely loved the bloke, top top striker.

Juventus - Glad to see them back in the big time. How could you not like them years ago? Zidane, Del Piero, Nedved, Ravenelli, Trezeguet, Boksic, Peruzzi, Buffon and my favourite, the hard as nails Paolo Montero.

Sheffield Wednesday - Mate of mine is a big fan so Ive developed a soft spot for them.

Everton - Had an epic career as manager of them in one of the old Championship Managers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Tauren wrote: »

started off in the 'combined counties premiership', dont know what the exact criteria is, or the factors that decide what leauge a team starts playing in, would imagine, funding, finanicals, facilities, FA and leauge approval, etc, all have a say, also, winning a leauge does not garantee promotion, when AFC won the combined counties, they had to be voted/accpted, into the next leauge up, the ryman leauge, by its board
    loyatemu wrote: »
    this suggests they've been promoted 4 times:

CCL1->CCLP->IL1->ILP->CS

so they're 2 promotions from League2

on this ocasion, i have to say, i think wiki may be wrong, double checked this on the archives on afcwimbledon.com to be sure as well, but they never played in the CCL1 (combined counties leuage one), stated of in 2002/3, finished 3rd in their first season, but it was in the CCLP (combined counties premier), 2003/4, they won the CCLP, and got promoted to the IL1 (ryman leauge 1), 2004/5 won leauge one and got promoted to ILP (ryman premier), reached the play offs in 2005/6, 2006/7, and 2007/8, which they won the play off final to reach the CS (conference south), correct in leaving them 2 promotions from leauge2

hence 3 promotions, and along the way, had a 78 game unbeaten run in leauge matches, which remains a record up till today

;)

Archimedes wrote: »
    Juventus - Glad to see them back in the big time. How could you not like them years ago? Zidane, Del Piero, Nedved, Ravenelli, Trezeguet, Boksic, Peruzzi, Buffon and my favourite, the hard as nails Paolo Montero.

Yeah what a team that was and yes Montero what a beast! Del boy was never the ''World Class'' player after he broke his leg that time but he was still a great player. Remembering seeing the break on Football Italia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Serbia-C.Zvezda
    Greece-Olympiacos
    England-Manchester United
    Scotland-Celtic

I have few teams i am watching but only coz i like atmosphere on their stadiums:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement